Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Bob Sansevere article on benching Culpepper

I wish Tice would do this, just to experiment if nothing else. At least it would tell us if the main problem is Culpepper or not.
    ============================================
    Johnson might light fire under Vikings

by Bob Sansevere

Daunte Culpepper should be benched. Just for a game. Just to see if Brad Johnson can get anything more out of the Vikings' offense.

If Johnson turns out to be as ineffective as Culpepper, go back to Culpepper. But if he leads the Vikings to a victory, well, then maybe Culpepper should be benched for another game. And another after that if the offense continues to respond to Johnson.

It wouldn't be the first time Johnson has come off the bench to rescue the Vikings. He did it in 1996, replacing Warren Moon and guiding the team to the playoffs.

But Vikings coach Mike Tice doesn't seem interested in switching to Johnson despite Culpepper's miserable statistics and the team's 1-4 record.

I asked Tice on Monday if he would consider sitting Culpepper, and he replied, "I thought he played a great first half (against Chicago)."

Great? The Vikings trailed 7-3 at halftime.

"I thought he played a very good third quarter," Tice said.

Very good? Culpepper threw an interception on the Vikings' second drive of the third quarter, setting up a Bears touchdown. And three of the four drives in the quarter didn't last more than three downs.

Tice didn't praise Culpepper's fourth-quarter play, which included another interception. "He, as many of the guys, started pressing a little," Tice said. "His head was in the game. … If his decisions weren't good, that'd be a whole different story."

The only story that matters revolves around this: The Vikings must go 7-4 just to finish .500.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: Bob Sansevere article on benching Culpepper

I don't know if Brad Johnson is going to be the answer. If Daunte is getting sacked 5 times a game, how many times are they going to get to Brad Johnson??

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Del Rio Guest

I have heard the arguments for not starting Brad Johnson. With our O-line he would get killed, he's not mobile, he's old........the list goes on.

He's there for a reason. If Culpepper cannot get it done he needs to play. He won't have to scramble if he can hit a WR in 7 seconds. Which I am pretty sure he can.

There is no harm in letting him play. None at all. The only thing keeping him from giving it a shot are ego's. I wouldn't bench Culpepper at the first of the game though. I would let him play until he has a breakdown.

Last game against the Bears does not convince me that he needed to be benched. I really hate when a WR tips a ball and it gets intercepted. Obviously Tice has faith in Culpepper, he knows what the progressions are for the passing plays he will be the judge.

I see Johnson as an option, but only if Culpepper goes back to his week one form or worse. He needs to work through this the hard way. I think he took a few steps in the right direction against the Bears, until he goes backwards I say start him even if he is crawling at a snails pace.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Culpepper will play great against the pack (just like all three games last year) only this time we will win!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

i don't know if i want Pepper benched this game against the pack, in this games records don't matter it's all a matter of pride every year when these two teams match up. i'm not against the idea of benching Pep if he begins to struggle and just see if it's Pep or if it's the offensive scheme. if Johnson came in there and started hitting the receivers that were open i'd be for the move

Thanks Josdin

Jviking is offline Pro-Bowler

You guys are right, did sansevere mention the fact that the penalties killed a number of our drives? Or is that culpepper too? Johnson, whoam I like, is a good back up. IMO We don't need to bench our quarterback at this point.
    I BLEED PURPLE!

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Noooooooo !

Culpepper was not the problem last Sunday !! It was the offensive line penalties and the fact that the Bears have the nr. 1 defense in the NFL. Does it not occur to some people that maybe the Vikings are not that bad, and maybe the Bengals, Bucs, and Bears defenses are that good ? I personally think it is an insult to the NFL and the Bears to say, "how could this happen", when the Bears have the best defense in football. Great defenses stuff any great offense, too.

Culpepper I see getting better. He looks much better now than in the Bengals game. The QB always gets the blame. We need to turn our attention to receivers running bad routes, not coming back to help the QB when he is in trouble, etc. Stop saying it is all on C-pepper, it isn't. The line has to block better without drawing penalties.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

CPep would have to throw like 6 int's and no completions before Tice would sit him. Don't forget about the little contract extension that CPep got this summer?? Tice is treating this the same way he did with Bennett ... honestly, I have been trying to keep the faith for Tice but he really has to go. Fine, let him play out the season.

By the way, I'm interested to see if anybody saw anything different from our offense since the "Advisors" came in when we played this last week. It really looked like the same play calling. Their was no misdirection, screens, or for that matter not alot of play action? Did anyone see something I missed??

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Noooooooo !

Culpepper was not the problem last Sunday !! It was the offensive line penalties and the fact that the Bears have the nr. 1 defense in the NFL. Does it not occur to some people that maybe the Vikings are not that bad, and maybe the Bengals, Bucs, and Bears defenses are that good ? I personally think it is an insult to the NFL and the Bears to say, "how could this happen", when the Bears have the best defense in football. Great defenses stuff any great offense, too.

Culpepper I see getting better. He looks much better now than in the Bengals game. The QB always gets the blame. We need to turn our attention to receivers running bad routes, not coming back to help the QB when he is in trouble, etc. Stop saying it is all on C-pepper, it isn't. The line has to block better without drawing penalties.

a) You are incorrect, the Bears are not the #1 defense.

b) He deserves all the blame, he is not seeing his #2 and/or #3 targets fast enough and is throwing the ball late. Causing int's and incomplete passes. CPep also on certain plays focusing solely on and individual WR or RB out of the back field. The O-Line penalties dont help, but Pep is by noway not at fault here, take another peek at the game tape, Pep was late on his throws all day long.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

why does everyone think culpepper had sucha bad game against chicago? He didnt, he came out playing sharp and effective, but just like every game, penalties and poor execution led to another loss. I think he played fine. If culpepper cant survive behind our line why could brad johnson? Brad Johnson would be a sitting duck and prolley break a the all time sack record in one game.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast