TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

blueprint for winning!!

i hope that tice and co. watched the pitt/gmen game today. pitt ran the ball in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and the all important 4th quarter. if pitt didnt make a yard on 1st down, they didnt panic, they ran it again. and sometimes they made positive yards, sometimes not. but pitt ran it down the giants throat and won the game. roth made plays when he had to and made mistakes but sticking to the run sets up the play action, helps everyone gain confidence throughout the game and keeps the other offense off the field. there is nothing more demoralizing than a running back ripping off big yards into the secondary.
    need i say more?

TheMaineViking is offline Training Camp

blueprint for winning!!

Agreed, the steel stuck with the running game and if you noticed the Gmen had 8 and sometimes 9 men in the box in the second half. And they still could not stop the reborn Bus.

I don't understand why Tice has abandoned the running game so much this year. In 2002 he was all about running the football. Has he done a 180 from that philosophy?
    Les Steckel, More Bud

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

blueprint for winning!!

Well, First I've got to say that I'm not a big fan of the notion that running the football wins football games. The patroits went on that reccord break run without, for most of it, a running game at all.

What it comes down to is coaching. The Vikings in no way should try and emulate the Steelers, the Steelers don't have Daunte Culpepper as their quarterback. And the Vikings don't have that defense. I don't know if this has continued to hold true, but at least before Moss got injured, the Vikings were doing better when they were losing the time of possesion battle. The fact is that a deep pass to Randy does a numbner of things: 1. If forces the opposing offense to become more one-demensional to try and keep up, second it energizes our entire team - we play a lot differently when Daunte's tosses a 53-yard touchdown to Moss. Third it silences the opposing crowd or it triples the decible level in the Metrodome for the remainder of the game.

The blueprint to beating the Lions is simple enough. If Winfield is healthy, then ALWAYS have 8 guys in the box to stop Jones. If he isn't, then ALMOST ALWAYS have 8 guys in the box. We've got playmeakers in either Russel or Chavous and 2 very solid conerbacks in B-will and Winfield. I'll take my chances one-on-one with a safety on one side to get some extra penetration.

On offense, we need to score with out first possesion. we need to set up some short passes, some running plays and most importantly a couple screens and put together a nice drive on our first possesion. Then comeback without a knock-out punch on our second. When it is second down and 3 or less, Culpepper shouldn't let his eyes get any closer than 40 yards away from him. Take a lots of shots, the majority of them will work out some way, either P.I. calls or huge receptions.

And finally for once this season our O-line has to be ready to play an away game, they haven't been yet.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

blueprint for winning!!

Perfectly siad vikeman, especailly about the defense, for chriminy sakes we are playing joey harrington, put rusell and chavous in postiion to help against the running game, i trust B Will and Winfield (if he plays) in single coverage situations.

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

blueprint for winning!!

since the 1st game when the vikes have out rushed their opponent they have won except for two games. the defense basically decided those games(jax, det.)
    dallas #32 76yds rush, moe 27, dallas 71 rush yds.
    ont key short reception for 63yds and a td
    chi -ont.94 yds rush, 104 rec. yds)
    houston-(mewelde-92rush,90rec yds)
    saints- mewelde 109 yds rush
    tenn- mewelde 138 yds rush
    in the six losses
    philly- #11 leading rusher 41 yds.
    giants -#11 leading rusher 32 yds.
    indy- ont-80 yds. edge-123 yds,
    gb- bennett 21 yds ont. 21 yds. green 145 yds.
    chi- ont 79 yds. #11 50yds. vikes 146ttl, bears144yds.
    sea- ont 56 yds. alexander 112yds.

these stats are jsut numbers, but hard to ignore. balance. being able to run and stopping the run are essential to making it through dec, jan, and feb.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

blueprint for winning!!

Vikeman, New England didn't win the Superbowl because of an effective rushing game, but the did rush the ball throughout the game. It is important to be balanced, and frankly we havn't been balanced much at all this season. WE can't pass all day and expect it to work against the better teams.

Also you seem to have way too much confidence in our "playmakers" like Brian Williams, Chavous and Brian Williams who have all played well below expectations this season. Hell they have probably dropped 3 times as many interceptions as they have caught and have consistently blown coverage.

I don't see how you can have so much faith in an Antoine Winfieldless secondary that hasn't done anything this season.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.