Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vikesgirl is offline Rookie

Blueprint to beating the eagles

This is really going to be a tough game. The Eagles are a pretty well rounded team. I say run, run, run, if it works. Why not take advantage and keep their O off the field? If the run doesn't work then the two QB's will be airing it out and it will probably be a tit for tat with Moss and Owens. I hope that Randy is in his Monday night mode and smokes the Corners.

This will be a very interesting game, and a tough one, if we can win it we shut up alot of critics.

GO VIKES GO!!!
    VIKES fan for life!

PhillyGirl is offline Starter

I think that the Eagles run defense is grossly underrated. Out of the 170 yards rushing they gave up in the Giants game, 72 of them came on Barber's 72 yd TD run with 2 minutes left in a 31-10 game. Manning had just come in and the Eagles were playing pass.

Two other things...last year, the run defense was terrible, but only in between the 20s. They didn't give up points. The line was decimated with injury (5 dlineman on the IR) and the secondary (which is crucial to Jim Johnson's run defense with the blitz) was missing 3/4 of their starters. It really killed us last year. Our LBs and the remaining dlinemen wore down as the season progressed.

Also, this year, injuries were a factor in the preseason. The Giants game (and the 3 days prior to it) was the first time they had just about all been on the field together. I said just about because Nate Wayne didn't play and neither did Paul Grasmanis.

Its not a gimme that running on the Eagles is going to work...just wanted to point that out.

I am with vikesgirl on this though....its going to be interesting...

Del Rio Guest

That's a good point. The Eagles had one of the best RedZone D's last year and there's no reason to think that has changed. Like I said if what Phillygirl says about the CB's they will be fast and furious to creme the run we will have 11 guys coming to the ball ready to tear us up.

I just hope we don't come in thinking we can run all over them and limit ourselves from doing what we do best.

They are a tough D with a lot of playmakers and heart. I still hope they mix in a lot of short pssing plays, I'm not entirely convinced of our ability to run on these guys.

superior230bartime is offline Pro-Bowler

"thepacksux" wrote:
    yet the vikings play 6 playoff teams from last year while the pack only plays 4, explain that??
    Wow, quite the concept, eh packsux? Maybe the NFL should have made the packers play themselves twice this year to even this up.
    purplepride.org: Home of Disillusioned Vikings Fans World-wide

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

"PhillyGirl" wrote:
    I think that the Eagles run defense is grossly underrated. Out of the 170 yards rushing they gave up in the Giants game, 72 of them came on Barber's 72 yd TD run with 2 minutes left in a 31-10 game. Manning had just come in and the Eagles were playing pass.

Two other things...last year, the run defense was terrible, but only in between the 20s. They didn't give up points. The line was decimated with injury (5 dlineman on the IR) and the secondary (which is crucial to Jim Johnson's run defense with the blitz) was missing 3/4 of their starters. It really killed us last year. Our LBs and the remaining dlinemen wore down as the season progressed.

Also, this year, injuries were a factor in the preseason. The Giants game (and the 3 days prior to it) was the first time they had just about all been on the field together. I said just about because Nate Wayne didn't play and neither did Paul Grasmanis.

Its not a gimme that running on the Eagles is going to work...just wanted to point that out.

I am with vikesgirl on this though....its going to be interesting...
    Bump

Del Rio Guest

This game has great matchups throughout not just the obvious ones. And these under the radar matchups should determine the outcome.

Our O-line is one of the biggest and the best. They are coached by a head coach who's specialty is O-line. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to run on these guys. Same old story fat talented O-line VS quick lighter talented D.

So the Vikes will need to sustain blocks and get a good push. Having smith this week is a life saver he can make things happen when there is no hole.

I hate Monday's worse day of the week dred going to work. But I find myself looking forward to this one. DAMN YOU NFL :cry:

"Del Rio" wrote:
    This game has great matchups throughout not just the obvious ones. And these under the radar matchups should determine the outcome.

Our O-line is one of the biggest and the best. They are coached by a head coach who's specialty is O-line. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to run on these guys. Same old story fat talented O-line VS quick lighter talented D.

So the Vikes will need to sustain blocks and get a good push. Having smith this week is a life saver he can make things happen when there is no hole.

I hate Monday's worse day of the week dred going to work. But I find myself looking forward to this one. DAMN YOU NFL :cry:
    I agree that the under the radar matchups will determine the outcome. The Moss/TO, Culpepper/McNabb hype is getting out of hand.

I'm eager to see what the Eagles' 2 TE sets do against the Vikes' LBs and Dbacks. I'm also eager to see how the Eagles' dline/LBs match up vs the Vikes' oline and Smith.

Del Rio Guest

That is my main concern is the Eagles TE combo. It seems they are off to a great start and Mcnabb is a pro at checking down quickly so that there is still yardage between the TE and the nearest defender. Also a point of concern is the scrambling talent of both QB's.

The LB's will be weary to stray too far away from the line of scrimmage giving up 10-15 yard scampers by the QB's that in itself is a huge weapon for both teams TE's giveing them a little cushion for the short ball.

And the Eagles have better TE's our are unproven sasser would up them but he is out. So this is a huge part of the game. Also as you mentioned the O-line D-line combo on both sides is going to be fun.

You have some hogs as well and some 10 year vets that know all the secrets to opening up a crease or holding an opponent discreatly. Never overlook wisdom and experience. We believe in our D. The front four have the potential to be a huge force. But as far as other teams are concerned we are scrubs and have everything to proove.

If our D-line does well this game then it will go a long way to helping their standings in opponents and the leageus eyes. If they do poorly the thoughts of many will be confirmed for the time being that they are under achievers.

This battle will be won and lost in the trenches, 3 yards deep or 3 yards forward that is the question. Who's gonna control the line?

"Del Rio" wrote:
    That is my main concern is the Eagles TE combo. It seems they are off to a great start and Mcnabb is a pro at checking down quickly so that there is still yardage between the TE and the nearest defender. Also a point of concern is the scrambling talent of both QB's.

The LB's will be weary to stray too far away from the line of scrimmage giving up 10-15 yard scampers by the QB's that in itself is a huge weapon for both teams TE's giveing them a little cushion for the short ball.

And the Eagles have better TE's our are unproven sasser would up them but he is out. So this is a huge part of the game. Also as you mentioned the O-line D-line combo on both sides is going to be fun.
    Agreed. One of the things that has to drive both D coordinators mad is the fact that there is just too much to defend against on both teams. Last year, TE wasn't too much of a factor for the Eagles because LJ was a rookie and Chad Lewis was looking his age. However, with a year under his belt, LJ looks fantastic this year. And Lewis worked out like crazy this offseason and is playing like he did 2 years ago when he went to the Pro-Bowl. Its amazing how a player can change his regimen and come back like he lost 5 years in age. lol. Of course, having a legit #1 WR threat opens it up for them finally, so that always helps.

You have some hogs as well and some 10 year vets that know all the secrets to opening up a crease or holding an opponent discreatly. Never overlook wisdom and experience. We believe in our D. The front four have the potential to be a huge force. But as far as other teams are concerned we are scrubs and have everything to proove.
    I agree with you somewhat here. We had one side of the line shored up with Runyan and Andrews. They were dominant in the preseason and last week. Losing Andrews hurts, but bringing Mayberry over and plugging in Hicks will work fine. My main concern on that line is Tra Thomas. He's like a turnstile in there. He had one solid year, but has been awful since. Last year he was terrible and this preseason, he wasn't much better. Last week wasn't a real accurate gauge of how he's going to do because the Giants line stinks. But I keep hearing rumors that he has persistent back pain that has completely hurt his play. If Tra can shape up and give McNabb the protection he needs, the line will be solid. He's the weakest point by far.

If our D-line does well this game then it will go a long way to helping their standings in opponents and the leageus eyes. If they do poorly the thoughts of many will be confirmed for the time being that they are under achievers.

This battle will be won and lost in the trenches, 3 yards deep or 3 yards forward that is the question. Who's gonna control the line?
    I don't think that they'll judge solely on this game. Both lines are tough. You saying that would be like me worrying that the critics will blast Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard if they don't completely shut down Moss. As if Vincent and Taylor would have? :roll: :lol:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast