Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Blueprint to beating the eagles

Well I think we get ourselves in trouble when we try and stick to something we don't usually do. We need to take what they give us and be flexible.

We don't have Ahman Green on our team, he is a machine on the power run.

I don't think it really matters how we do it as long as we keep getting 1st downs. Run or Pass.

The offense last week was awesome if they do the same things they will win. Very few mistakes and a great mix of pass and run. Pepper scrambling for a couple of first downs is always helpful.

Can't wait for this game.

On a side note......
    How does the NFL decide who plays who. I mean dang why are the superbowl champs playing Arizona this week? And why is Arizona being forced to play them, i thought it went of record is it a lottery thing?

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

The way they figure the NFL schedule is really complicated, but to answer your question the reason New England is playing the Cards is because every team in the AFC East this year is playing a game against every team in the NFC West.

Basically it works like this. You have 16 games in the season. 6 of them are played against your own divisional opponents. 4 are played against the teams in another AFC division. 4 more are played against another NFC division. It rotates from year to year which two divisions you play for those 8 games. The whole rotation was already figured out a couple years ago.

Only the remaining 2 games are based on last year's results. You play two teams, from your conference, that are about as strong last year as you were.

So New England has 6 games against their division, 4 against the NFC West, 4 against the AFC North, and the remaining 2 against teams that did about as well as they did last year...Kansas City and Indianapolis. If you're confused take a look at New England's schedule and you can see better how this works.

We end up playing Seattle and New Orleans for those two games. We also play the NFC East and the AFC South. Green Bay also plays the NFC East and AFC South, but because they had a better record than us last year, their remaining 2 games are played against Carolina and St. Louis.

I know that probably doesn't help you much, and sorry if I confused you...but the bottom line is only two games are based on the results from last year when they figure the schedule.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Del Rio Guest

Actually that wasn't confusing at all. Thanks for the explanation it made sense and clears up alot of questions for me.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

No problem! I found a better explanation of how those last two games are figured out.

From footballinjuries.com
    "These 2 games will match a first-place team against the first-place teams in the two same-conference divisions the team is not scheduled to play that season. The second-place, third-place, and fourth-place teams in a conference will be matched in the same way each year"

In other words, the Vikings finished 2nd in the NFC North last year. So we play the two other 2nd place teams in the NFC from last year that are not in the NFC East...Seattle and New Orleans.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Blueprint to beating the eagles

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    The packers showed tonight, how to beat a good football team, on the road. They pounded the ball, run after run, against the panthers. The panthers couldn't stop it, so they kept running the ball. We will need to do the same thing against the eagles, to win the game. We should be able to run the ball at will against them, with our huge o-line and their lack of a rush D. We will then be keeping their offense off the field and also keep the crowd out of the game. keep running the ball until they bring a safety up, then hit them deep with the pass to moss, robinson, or cambell.

I hope our coaches watched the MNF game and realized that that is what we need to do next monday, to beat the eagles.
    I SAY JUST TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEIR CORNERS

SCORE...SCORE....AND SCORE SOME MORE.....OUT SCORE THOSE BIRDS!!!! :cherry:
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

yet the vikings play 6 playoff teams from last year while the pack only plays 4, explain that??

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"thepacksux" wrote:
    yet the vikings play 6 playoff teams from last year while the pack only plays 4, explain that??
    Both teams play Dallas, Philadelphia, Tennessee and Indianapolis. Minnesota also plays Green Bay (2x), and Seattle. Green Bay plays Carolina and St. Louis. That makes 6 playoff teams on each teams schedule, though Minnesota has one extra game against a playoff team because they play Green Bay twice.

dart18 is offline Asst. Coach

well back to the original post, my response is to beat the eagles we keep their d on the field for a long time, Onterio do your thing (not doobie smoking) with the ball and lets handle this big big challenge to our team
    Sometimes I like to think there is more to life than being you know. . . really really good looking.
    -Derrick Zoolander

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I think you guys are seriously underestimating the Eagles run Defense, which, sufficient to say is much better than their pass defense.

Are we going to go the way of Chicago, Arizona etc last year of playing conservative? That is BS and has proven to fail in the past. I mean, WE CAN"T AFFORD NOT TO OPEN IT UP. Like it or not, that is our offense and we play best when we do.

That being said, we need to run the ball. But hell, if we can't, there is no need to stick with it all the way to a loss.

I am just sick on these conservative road games, that usually end up in a loss.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    I think you guys are seriously underestimating the Eagles run Defense, which, sufficient to say is much better than their pass defense.

Are we going to go the way of Chicago, Arizona etc last year of playing conservative? That is BS and has proven to fail in the past. I mean, WE CAN"T AFFORD NOT TO OPEN IT UP. Like it or not, that is our offense and we play best when we do.

That being said, we need to run the ball. But hell, if we can't, there is no need to stick with it all the way to a loss.

I am just sick on these conservative road games, that usually end up in a loss.

Running the ball is not conservative, if they aren't stopping you. The eagles aren't gonna be able to stop our rusihng attack IMO, and if they can't, then I say do exactly as the pack did, and keep on running the ball. When you run the ball, time after time, on a D, it absolutley demoralizes them(SP) and wears them down. This is what we need to do on the road against a good football team.

The Panthers are obviously a better run stopping D, than a pass D, yet the packers didn't care about that and they just ran the ball at will against them. I think we need to do the same. If they aren't stopping the run, then keep on running the ball. It will destroy there D, and keep their crowd out of the game.

Hey, I am with you on the conservative play calling, but I don't see running the ball as conservative, if they can't stop us. We can still be aggressive through the passing game, by using some play action and going deep to all our deep threat WR's. Actually if we do run the ball at will on them, it will make it much much easier to be aggressive through the air.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast