vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Blocking field goals

When I was first watching the Vikings, Matt Blair and Joe Senser blocked kicks all the time. Nowadays, we never block a field goal.

I think we should think about getting a special teams guy who is about 7-feet tall with long arms and can jump. Maybe a bench guy from the Timberwolves. He only needs to be there on Sundays.

Usually position him behind the line to jump and block kicks.

For very long field goal tries, position him in the endzone right in front of the goal posts. When a kick comes in low and just barely will clear the crossbar, he jumps up and knocks the ball down.

Go Vikings!

Frostbite is offline Coach

Re: Blocking field goals

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    When I was first watching the Vikings, Matt Blair and Joe Senser blocked kicks all the time. Nowadays, we never block a field goal.

I think we should think about getting a special teams guy who is about 7-feet tall with long arms and can jump. Maybe a bench guy from the Timberwolves. He only needs to be there on Sundays.

Usually position him behind the line to jump and block kicks.
    For very long field goal tries, position him in the endzone right in front of the goal posts. When a kick comes in low and just barely will clear the crossbar, he jumps up and knocks the ball down.
    Maybe Yao Ming is available??? LOL.....Nice thought vikesfargo...Your are right about the fact that we rarely get close to a block...let alone get any. Considering our Punt Return guys are not exactly tearing things up we should come after the punts more often.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Robison was a beast in college with the block kick. Hopefully we will see it from him soon. Blocked Kicks don't happen alot anymore in the NFL. I am sure there is some weird stats site out there that has how many blocked FG?XP and Punts happen each year

"Garland" wrote:
    Robison was a beast in college with the block kick. Hopefully we will see it from him soon. Blocked Kicks don't happen alot anymore in the NFL. I am sure there is some weird stats site out there that has how many blocked FG?XP and Punts happen each year
    I'm not sure where you can find the stats, but I think they changed the rules way back when so that you couldn't basicallly climb up someone's back to get the block.
    There just aren't very many blocks these days unless the kicking team messes up.

As for Robison, I remember watching one of the early games and seeing some guy get way up on a field goal block.
    I was wondering who the heck that was... Sure enough, it was Robison.
    That guy is an athlete.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

They also changed the rules on touching the punter... guys have to be very careful playing the ball instead of the punter's leg which has reduced their aggressiveness and led to more "almosts" then actual punt blocks.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Blocking field goals and punts - two totally different situations. Field goals...you need a guy in the middle with great vertical extension. Punts...you need a quick guy who can get around the end blocker...rarely do you see a punt blocked from up the gut, except in "Varsity Blues".
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...