Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    tgorsegner is offline Coordinator

Re: To blitz, or not to blitz?

so we might as well blitz. if we give farve time he is gonna pick apart our pass d. they did pretty well yesterday but they had alot of help from the blitz/bringing guys from strange angles/whatever it was. do it again. it worked. farve will make bad trhows if we pressure him. all we need are 2 turnovers, one for a td and we win easy.

VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:
    We blitzed the crap out of Phillip Rivers yesterday.
    I don't think the Vikings blitzed as much as people believe yesterday.
    Ben Leber was quoted as saying something like that it looked like they were blitzing, but they were really just bringing people from strange angles - and dropping some linemen into zone coverage in the middle.

Blitzing Favre is a bad idea, IMHO.

=Z=
    True.
    But when we did blitz it was effective.

We just need to get consistant pressure on Favre.
    Throw in the occasional blitz and we get some classic Favre "up for grabs."

We blitzed more than I've seen us blitz all year.
    And EJ took advantage of all that blitzing also.
    He had a great game, with a number of no gain or tackle for lose plays and that superfly play had me rolling....I split second earlier, would have been an incredable sack......But yes, we did blitz more than usuall yesterday....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Big" wrote:
    We blitzed the crap out of Phillip Rivers yesterday. I think that was one of the keys to slowing down their passing game. This approach could backfire against an experienced QB like Favre. Then again, the last time we played him we played a lot of the zone stuff and let him pick us apart. Would blitzing more improve the situation or make it worse?

I don't much about football, so I say BLITZ!!!
    I think our success at blitzing can be attributed to a couple of things (as I've stated in a couple of other threads).

a.
    Rivers isn't a Brett Favreeeeee.
    The game is still slowing down for him.
    Stop his security blanket (LT) and put the ball in his hands and you have a recipe for ......
    Well what happened yesterday.

b.
    Withrow.
    I am not sure if everyone know this but the Center makes things like Line Calls.
    He is identifying the MLB or LB that might be blitzing.
    The QB then ID's any read he sees that contridicts that (i.e. a S or CB blitz).

Add a backup C to a young QB and you have the makings for......
    Welll, what we saw yesterday.

Trust me when I tell you that Brett Favvreeeeeeee will love it if we send in a steady diet of blitz at him this weekend.
    He will pick us apart.

Does that mean we don't blitz?
    Heavens no.
    What we need to do, is pretty much the same kindof stuff you saw when we played them the first time (and kindof what you saw against SD)........

And that is EJ (and the other LB's) has to disguise what thier blitz package they have if any.
    Remember back to the first meeting.
    Favreee was having problems with it.

Eventually he figured it out, but they did give it to him for a bit.

Anyway, mix it in, confuse him if we can, make a few stops and hope Purple Jesus and the OL have a great day again.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NordicNed" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:
    Ben Leber was quoted as saying something like that it looked like they were blitzing, but they were really just bringing people from strange angles - and dropping some linemen into zone coverage in the middle.

=Z=
    True.

He had a great game, with a number of no gain or tackle for lose plays and that superfly play had me rolling....I split second earlier, would have been an incredable sack......But yes, we did blitz more than usuall yesterday....
    Chad Greenway (not Leber) is quoted in the STrib:
    "Some of the things we are doing may look like blitzes, but it's really not.
    We just wanted to make Rivers a little uncomfortable..."

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NordicNed" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:

=Z=
    True.

Chad Greenway (not Leber) is quoted in the STrib:
    "Some of the things we are doing may look like blitzes, but it's really not.
    We just wanted to make Rivers a little uncomfortable..."

=Z=
    And that crap won't work against Brettly my friends.....
    :

Nice find Z.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I see where your coming from Zeus, and we did throw a bunch of wrinkles at them, and some situations where we looked to blitz but didn't,
    But at the same time, we did blitz more than we usually do, and a few where even on 1st downs......Whatever it actually was, blitzing or not, it worked and kept Rivers guessing and running for his life all day.......

That was the best defensive showing ( as a whole) for us so far this season.....

Blitz
    A defensive strategy in which a linebacker or defensive back vacates his normal responsibilities in order to pressure the quarterback. The object of a blitz is to tackle the quarterback behind the line of scrimmage or force the quarterback to hurry his pass.

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

"NordicNed" wrote:
    Blitz
    A defensive strategy in which a linebacker or defensive back vacates his normal responsibilities in order to pressure the quarterback. The object of a blitz is to tackle the quarterback behind the line of scrimmage or force the quarterback to hurry his pass.
    Hmmmm..."Football For Dummies", by Howie Long?

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NordicNed" wrote:

I see where your coming from Zeus, and we did throw a bunch of wrinkles at them, and some situations where we looked to blitz but didn't,
    But at the same time, we did blitz more than we usually do, and a few where even on 1st downs......Whatever it actually was, blitzing or not, it worked and kept Rivers guessing and running for his life all day.......

That was the best defensive showing ( as a whole) for us so far this season.....
    Absolutely - a solid effort, good tackling, no stupid penalties, stop the run, a couple of GREAT pass breakups (especially the Dwight Smith layout - what a play!!).

Exotic weird blitzes may confuse a relative kid like Philip Rivers (this is only his 2nd season as a starter), but I don't expect they can come up with anything that surprises Favre.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"NordicNed" wrote:

But if you go back and watch most of the games, EJ and Leber have been doing that for several weeks.

Again, funny how a win and people think things are changing.
    Hell it just worked this weekend.
    ;D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast