Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Blitz blitz blitz!!!

"The" wrote:
    Blitzing the whole game against the Lions is a terrible idea IMO. They will already line up a good portion of the with four wideouts. Does anyone think that even with the blitz we will be able to get to Kitna before he's able to find at least one of these receivers? I would be extremely wary of pass-rushing more than five against this team.

The best bet will simply be to mix it up often. Make them think you're blitzing when you're not; blitz when they're completely unprepared for it. It's not rocket science.
    Now your talking sense.

Kindof like how the Chiller described it in his press conf.

Q: Darren Sharper talked after the game on Sunday about being able to do a little bit more, move people around, things like that.
    Have you looked for ways to get him and Smith more involved as opposed to the first part of the year?

A: I think that both of those guys did a great job in that game of disguising their intentions to a rather late period of time, where they showed the quarterback, demonstrated one thing that he said things a certain way and then really they showed him something quite different.
    So they have the freedom within the system to be able to do that. There are parameters, just like those linebackers I thought did an outstanding job of moving themselves around.
    There are times where he can be free and play the quarterback’s eyes or play crossers or double a receiver and there are times where he has a certain set. I am standing in the third or I have a half and we kind of balance those things out I think with both of those guys.
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...1710#msg681710
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MNgriff is offline Rookie

"Marrdro" wrote:
    We blitz enough, we win....What do you guys think?
    I'm just not sure how all of a sudden the whole football world (at least here on PPO) believes that alot of blitzing is a good thing when in fact most things you read on blitzing says it is a high risk, high reward play call.

Anyone but me ever heard of the old cliche' "Live by the blitz, die by the blitz"?

Look, I am not against blitzing, infact I believe it is a very important play that the D can use, however, if we have to keep blitzing at the rate we are, someone (i.e. the GB game) will just pick it apart.

The right answer is to get pressure with the front 4 and throw in a few blitz packages to keep them off balance.

It just mystifies me (as some of you probably can tell from my posts this week) why everyone is so excited about this.

Can I ask you Madden guys a serious question?
    Do you guys blitz alot in the game?
    Depends on the opponent. If I'm playing someone that hikes the ball and goes backwards until they throw it off their back foot about 20 behind the line of scrimmage then I like to apply pressure with my OLBs and sit in a zone spy just waiting for the lame duck. Against players that sit in the pocket and take a couple of steps to avoid pressure but get the pass off before a hit then you have to give make sure guys are covered or else they'll throw to the holes in the zone or even deep every play and make it. Blitzing every play is bad thinking. I do like to use one or two formations on a consistent basis to give the player the same look but do things differently. Then after he gets comfy I can usually bring the blitz and get him for a loss. Big risk tho because the guys going deep won't be covered most of the time and the smart guy will see it coming from a mile away and just audible to a fly and you just gave up a TD. If he brings LB's then as soon as they creep into the box I audible to an outside pitch and burn em. A lot has to do with the skill of the opponent on what you can and can't get away with.
    Skol

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

If you do the blitz barrage with an experienced QB like Favre or Brady they will eat you alive.
    Do it to the likes of TJack or some other greenhorn or a QB that can't move to the next level of play it's not such a bad call.
    Like someone else said, you have to mix it up or it won't be effective in most cases.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"MNgriff" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    We blitz enough, we win....What do you guys think?
    I'm just not sure how all of a sudden the whole football world (at least here on PPO) believes that alot of blitzing is a good thing when in fact most things you read on blitzing says it is a high risk, high reward play call.

Anyone but me ever heard of the old cliche' "Live by the blitz, die by the blitz"?

Look, I am not against blitzing, infact I believe it is a very important play that the D can use, however, if we have to keep blitzing at the rate we are, someone (i.e. the GB game) will just pick it apart.

The right answer is to get pressure with the front 4 and throw in a few blitz packages to keep them off balance.

It just mystifies me (as some of you probably can tell from my posts this week) why everyone is so excited about this.

Can I ask you Madden guys a serious question?
    Do you guys blitz alot in the game?
    Depends on the opponent. If I'm playing someone that hikes the ball and goes backwards until they throw it off their back foot about 20 behind the line of scrimmage then I like to apply pressure with my OLBs and sit in a zone spy just waiting for the lame duck. Against players that sit in the pocket and take a couple of steps to avoid pressure but get the pass off before a hit then you have to give make sure guys are covered or else they'll throw to the holes in the zone or even deep every play and make it. Blitzing every play is bad thinking. I do like to use one or two formations on a consistent basis to give the player the same look but do things differently. Then after he gets comfy I can usually bring the blitz and get him for a loss. Big risk tho because the guys going deep won't be covered most of the time and the smart guy will see it coming from a mile away and just audible to a fly and you just gave up a TD. If he brings LB's then as soon as they creep into the box I audible to an outside pitch and burn em. A lot has to do with the skill of the opponent on what you can and can't get away with.
    Thanks my friend.
    Sounds like the game has some realism to it.

Kindof blows my scenario out the window though that the idea to blitz all the time might be coming from Madden players.

Again thanks.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MNgriff is offline Rookie

Oh I think most madden players bitz every down because they only play weak opponents, it's just like the vikes, if we play a weak opponent then blitzing works because they have trouble identifying the openings but the good guys will get you every time.
    Skol

"Prophet" wrote:
    If you do the blitz barrage with an experienced QB like Favre or Brady they will eat you alive.
    Do it to the likes of TJack or some other greenhorn or a QB that can't move to the next level of play it's not such a bad call.
    Like someone else said, you have to mix it up or it won't be effective in most cases.
    You are very wise and I agree, but for some reason we seem to have a "Blitz on every down" faction on here and I, for the life of me, can't figure out why/where that rationale would come from.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

"The" wrote:
    Blitzing the whole game against the Lions is a terrible idea IMO. They will already line up a good portion of the with four wideouts. Does anyone think that even with the blitz we will be able to get to Kitna before he's able to find at least one of these receivers? I would be extremely wary of pass-rushing more than five against this team.

The best bet will simply be to mix it up often. Make them think you're blitzing when you're not; blitz when they're completely unprepared for it. It's not rocket science.
    We have to mix the blitz in carefully, and we can't show our hand. It has to keep Kitna guessing, and when we come with the blitz it must be successful. Mixing coverages and giving plenty of pre-snap reads

so they can't isolate who is coming and protect for it. Chess Match-On.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"PurpleTide" wrote:
    "The" wrote:

We have to mix the blitz in carefully, and we can't show our hand. It has to keep Kitna guessing, and when we come with the blitz it must be successful. Mixing coverages and giving plenty of pre-snap reads

so they can't isolate who is coming and protect for it. Chess Match-On.
    ....and that's the beauty of the NFL.
    You can guarantee that the Lions' coaching staff is studying every detail of the Eli massacre and showing the game film to the boys and talking about what to do as the Vikings' coaching staff is preparing for the game too.
    Fun game, never boring.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    You are very wise and I agree, but for some reason we seem to have a "Blitz on every down" faction on here and I, for the life of me, can't figure out why/where that rationale would come from.
    Childress has obviously changed the scheme!

I just threw that sentance in for Marrdro. I wanted to see the veins bulging out on his forehead. LOL!

I don't play Madden so I can't comment on that. But as we learned from Childress' press conference. There really is no single prevailing defensive scheme. They are based on a cover 2 structure but mix it up with quite a few different looks and defenses. There has been more man coverage with blitzing lately,but it is not new.

I don't see anything changing for this game. It will be a mix that Frazier adjusts as the game goes on.
    The make up and positioning of the front 4 has been altered and mixed thruout each and every game this year. Same with the blitz package. The blitz will depend on the situation.

I personally hate zone coverage. It's too passive and there are too many holes. It's a bend don't break defense that's effective for us with regard to points allowed.

So I like the increase in man coverage which allows more blitzing.

Bear in mind last year Kitna got hammered with sacks and still managed to have a top passing offense.

This game will be challenging for our defense.The offense will need to pitch in this week.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Childress has obviously changed the scheme!

I just threw that sentance in for Marrdro. I wanted to see the veins bulging out on his forehead. LOL!

I don't play Madden so I can't comment on that. But as we learned from Childress' press conference. There really is no single prevailing defensive scheme. They are based on a cover 2 structure but mix it up with quite a few different looks and defenses. There has been more man coverage with blitzing lately,but it is not new.

I don't see anything changing for this game. It will be a mix that Frazier adjusts as the game goes on.
    The make up and positioning of the front 4 has been altered and mixed thruout each and every game this year. Same with the blitz package. The blitz will depend on the situation.

I personally hate zone coverage. It's too passive and there are too many holes. It's a bend don't break defense that's effective for us with regard to points allowed.

So I like the increase in man coverage which allows more blitzing.

Bear in mind last year Kitna got hammered with sacks and still managed to have a top passing offense.

This game will be challenging for our defense.The offense will need to pitch in this week.
    Very nice post my friene, with the exception of the first line.

Quit cracking me up.
    ;D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast