Thread: The Blitz

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

The Blitz

Was anyone else screaming at the defense to stop blitzing? The problem is that from what I saw, it was usually a 5 man blitz. This is like trying to have your cake and eat it too. Either blitz all out and get a sack, or drop back into coverage and trust your linemen to bring the pressure.
    The drive that I just lost it on was the first series of the 2nd half. It seemed like the Vikes blitzed on every single play, and it failed every single time. Losman is not Grossman, and he didn't buckle under the pressure. Again, bring a serious blitz to catch them off guard (meaning at least six men blitzing), but don't do a half-a$$3ed blitz on every bloody play.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: The Blitz

We need to maintain pressure.
    When we stopped blitzing Rex he had a field day.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    We need to maintain pressure.
    When we stopped blitzing Rex he had a field day.
    Right, but Losman was already having a field day, and if you consistently can't bring him down with a 5-man blitz, then either add another blitzer or drop back into coverage. But why keep doing the same thing until they're in the endzone?

tampaviking is offline Rookie

i think not having leber was major as far as blitzing went

modena11 is offline Rookie

i found when we blitzed 5 or 6, we would rarely get pressure. leaving the secondary in 1 on 1 and thats where we got burned.

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Im not sure we need to blitz less its just we need to be more successful and creative with the blitzes. Alot of times we got pressure up the middle and Losman just ran to one side or the other. It seemed everytime we blitzed Losman still have time to find someone wide open on alot of plays.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

It is not so much the blitzing as it was that the whole team in general played like crap.. Our defense was off (mostly because of that loud mouth idiot Fred Smoot) our offense was not even in the game, and our special teams wasn't that much better...

The only positive thing about all of this is that we are not getting blown out even when we are playing horrible.. If our offense starts playing team football, it will make the whole team better.. If this is the way that our offense will play after spending big bucks to get Hutchinson, Richardson, and Taylor, then I guess they wasted a crap load of money to play just like they did last season..

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"tampaviking" wrote:
    i think that definatly did hurt us.. more than i expected

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

davike is offline Team Alumni

"The" wrote:
    Was anyone else screaming at the defense to stop blitzing? The problem is that from what I saw, it was usually a 5 man blitz. This is like trying to have your cake and eat it too. Either blitz all out and get a sack, or drop back into coverage and trust your linemen to bring the pressure.
    The drive that I just lost it on was the first series of the 2nd half. It seemed like the Vikes blitzed on every single play, and it failed every single time. Losman is not Grossman, and he didn't buckle under the pressure. Again, bring a serious blitz to catch them off guard (meaning at least six men blitzing), but don't do a half-a$$3ed blitz on every bloody play.

yeah i agree, but the prob our line isn't doing that great of job getting pressure on the QB, ha our offensive line gets more pressure on the QB problem is, is its our QB and not theirs. and also i didn't get to watch the game one tv so i didn't see what smoot did so terrible at, could somebody fill me in please?

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    "tampaviking" wrote:
    i think that definatly did hurt us.. more than i expected
    That really surprised me. I didn't think losing Leber would have the effect that it did, and I don't think the whole thing was because of him, but his absence was definately noticeable.