Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: The Blitz

  1. #1
    The Dropper's Avatar
    The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland, Ore.
    Posts
    2,101

    The Blitz

    Was anyone else screaming at the defense to stop blitzing? The problem is that from what I saw, it was usually a 5 man blitz. This is like trying to have your cake and eat it too. Either blitz all out and get a sack, or drop back into coverage and trust your linemen to bring the pressure.
    The drive that I just lost it on was the first series of the 2nd half. It seemed like the Vikes blitzed on every single play, and it failed every single time. Losman is not Grossman, and he didn't buckle under the pressure. Again, bring a serious blitz to catch them off guard (meaning at least six men blitzing), but don't do a half-a$$3ed blitz on every bloody play.

  2. #2
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: The Blitz

    We need to maintain pressure.
    When we stopped blitzing Rex he had a field day.

  3. #3
    The Dropper's Avatar
    The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland, Ore.
    Posts
    2,101

    Re: The Blitz

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    We need to maintain pressure.
    When we stopped blitzing Rex he had a field day.
    Right, but Losman was already having a field day, and if you consistently can't bring him down with a 5-man blitz, then either add another blitzer or drop back into coverage. But why keep doing the same thing until they're in the endzone?

  4. #4
    tampaviking is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    106

    Re: The Blitz

    i think not having leber was major as far as blitzing went

  5. #5
    modena11's Avatar
    modena11 is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    139

    Re: The Blitz

    i found when we blitzed 5 or 6, we would rarely get pressure. leaving the secondary in 1 on 1 and thats where we got burned.

  6. #6
    Warp's Avatar
    Warp is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    541

    Re: The Blitz

    Im not sure we need to blitz less its just we need to be more successful and creative with the blitzes. Alot of times we got pressure up the middle and Losman just ran to one side or the other. It seemed everytime we blitzed Losman still have time to find someone wide open on alot of plays.

  7. #7
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,053

    Re: The Blitz

    It is not so much the blitzing as it was that the whole team in general played like crap.. Our defense was off (mostly because of that loud mouth idiot Fred Smoot) our offense was not even in the game, and our special teams wasn't that much better...

    The only positive thing about all of this is that we are not getting blown out even when we are playing horrible.. If our offense starts playing team football, it will make the whole team better.. If this is the way that our offense will play after spending big bucks to get Hutchinson, Richardson, and Taylor, then I guess they wasted a crap load of money to play just like they did last season..

  8. #8
    Vikes_King's Avatar
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,104

    Re: The Blitz

    "tampaviking" wrote:
    i think not having leber was major as far as blitzing went
    i think that definatly did hurt us.. more than i expected


    http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

    "We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

    - Dan Calabrese

  9. #9
    davike's Avatar
    davike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,750

    Re: The Blitz

    "The" wrote:
    Was anyone else screaming at the defense to stop blitzing? The problem is that from what I saw, it was usually a 5 man blitz. This is like trying to have your cake and eat it too. Either blitz all out and get a sack, or drop back into coverage and trust your linemen to bring the pressure.
    The drive that I just lost it on was the first series of the 2nd half. It seemed like the Vikes blitzed on every single play, and it failed every single time. Losman is not Grossman, and he didn't buckle under the pressure. Again, bring a serious blitz to catch them off guard (meaning at least six men blitzing), but don't do a half-a$$3ed blitz on every bloody play.

    yeah i agree, but the prob our line isn't doing that great of job getting pressure on the QB, ha our offensive line gets more pressure on the QB problem is, is its our QB and not theirs. and also i didn't get to watch the game one tv so i didn't see what smoot did so terrible at, could somebody fill me in please?

    Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

  10. #10
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: The Blitz

    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "tampaviking" wrote:
    i think not having leber was major as far as blitzing went
    i think that definatly did hurt us.. more than i expected
    That really surprised me. I didn't think losing Leber would have the effect that it did, and I don't think the whole thing was because of him, but his absence was definately noticeable.

Similar Threads

  1. @ Packers: B is for Blitz, Z is for zone blitz !!
    By StillPurple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 07:13 PM
  2. Top Pics Blitz - 8/19/08
    By vikingsblitz in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-21-2008, 12:14 PM
  3. Top Pics Blitz - 8/12/08
    By vikingsblitz in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 07:40 PM
  4. Blitz blitz blitz!!!
    By idahovikefan7 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 04:12 AM
  5. To blitz, or not to blitz?
    By Big C in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 09:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •