Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The blame game.

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

Re: The blame game.

"marstc09" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    I blame Fred Smoot ;D
    You know what I do too. Imagine if he would of stepped his game up.
    We would of had a great set of CBs.
    I am glad his soft creampuff ass is outta here... typical smoot injured for tonights game @ philly... not sad at all to see the man who tried to tackle by leaning one shoulder into a player, typically resulting in him falling backwards, he did not fit out scheme, and in time McCauley will prove to be a better option @ nickel than smoot was for us (since he could beat out Brian Williams his first year, and lost his job to a rookie last year)
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Here is my $ 0.02 on why we lost:

The offensive line crushed us with those penalties. Defensive penalties can be tolerated, because it often means the defense is "aggressive", which is what you want, really.

Offensive penalties are due to lack of rhythm and focus. And that is bad.

The DBs in the Cover 2 zone defense have to "press" the receivers on the line. Why were we giving them that cushion ? It made no sense to me. The reason we have those physical corners like Cedric Griffin is to jam the line of scrimmage, not to chase Calvin Johnson downfield. Those soft zones were ridiculous. What, we were afraid T.J. O'Sullivan would torch us ?!
    :

Let's face it, this team has no downfield passing game. Tarvaris is turning out to be the worst starting QB in the NFL. Can you name a QB who is worse ? The result is the defense jamming the box and AP has no room to run. This will continue until we get a QB who can throw downfield with some accuracy.

This team is not that far away. But we need to address the passing game, which so far is a disaster.

Season rankings, so far:

QB: D-
    RBs: B+
    Off.line: C+
    WRs: F
    TE: D

Def. line: A+
    Linebackers: B
    Secondary: B+
    Special Teams: D

Coaching: C

PurpleMafia is offline Coordinator

Although I agree with the above rankings for the most part, I don't think it is fair to judge the WRs, when the QB is a D- at best. No, I am not another guy bashing Tarvaris. I just believe that when he adjusts to the NFL, his WRs will progress with him. The offensive line was mediocre at best. Its great to have 3 pro-bowlers on the left side. But when we have new and unexperienced guys on the right side, what does it matter? The line works as a whole. You can't expect much when not all the lineman arent up to par. You are only as strong as your weakest link... If our pass defense was as good as our run defense, we would have the best defense in the league. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Our run defense could be the best in the NFL, and give up 0 total yards on the ground all year, BUT....If we continue to give up 300+ passing yards a game and a ton of TDs through the air all day, we won't win a game. Overall, we need to improve in all areas. Not just at quarterback. Give the kid a chance. He has only had a few starts. I would love to know of a quarterback that was just amazing from the start. Trust me, I am from Indianapolis. Even Peyton Manning had struggles in his first year.
    Retired 12/21/08

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"StillPurple" wrote:

The offensive line crushed us with those penalties. Defensive penalties can be tolerated, because it often means the defense is "aggressive", which is what you want, really.

The DBs in the Cover 2 zone defense have to "press" the receivers on the line. Why were we giving them that cushion ? It made no sense to me. The reason we have those physical corners like Cedric Griffin is to jam the line of scrimmage, not to chase Calvin Johnson downfield. Those soft zones were ridiculous. What, we were afraid T.J. O'Sullivan would torch us ?!
    :

Let's face it, this team has no downfield passing game. Tarvaris is turning out to be the worst starting QB in the NFL. Can you name a QB who is worse ? The result is the defense jamming the box and AP has no room to run. This will continue until we get a QB who can throw downfield with some accuracy.

This team is not that far away. But we need to address the passing game, which so far is a disaster.

Season rankings, so far:

special teams deserves an A... 2 kick returns over 50 yards, and no punt or kick returns for the lions that went anywhere, sure longwells missed fg but it was 52 yards, and kluwe booted the ball all day, other categories i agree with

Thanks josdin00

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

"tb04512" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

:

Season rankings, so far:

special teams deserves an A... 2 kick returns over 50 yards, and no punt or kick returns for the lions that went anywhere, sure longwells missed fg but it was 52 yards, and kluwe booted the ball all day, other categories i agree with
    I'd agree, the ST did do an above average job. We didn't allow any big returns, they were stuck in BAD field position all game long, even when we punted from deep in our end.

I can see the issues with the right side of the Oline coming together, and once it does. i think we'll see a few addes seconds for Tjack and co to complete out some passing plays.

I rewatched some of the game last nite, and I noticed that more times then not, Tjack had to move, protect himself, and basicly give up on a given play due to lack of time. if we could have just gotten a second or 2 more I think we would have seen better throws and some more yardage.

Look at both the ending of the half, and ending of the game. In both instances we moved the ball well, got down and made plays. This is inspiring as you would think that the 2 min drills would be harder, but it comes down to again Tjack having the time to make the plays. I was suprised we didn't use Rice more.. but I am not the person making decisions on who's in and who's out. I'm sure though that we'll see more of him as time goes on.

and with detroits O.. you have to expect that they will be tossing the ball a lot..
    TBell dind't go anywhwere..
    Kitna/Osucks got their yardage in the air cause they couldn't do anything else. and even with probably the most talanted WR corps (maybe behined NE) we did hold them. watch.. they will score in the 20'2,30's and maybe 40's on other teams.
    Then people will realize that ok we gave up yards.. but not scores!!!

who do i blame..

fate!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Maizen is offline Training Camp

"StillPurple" wrote:

:

Season rankings, so far:

Nice points Bud, I completely agree with your TJ take.
    I wish we had the luxury of an experienced QB to go along with this team.
    TJ's timing seems to be completely off in this offense.
    It's designed to take the drop-back and get the ball out as soon as you take the 3/5 steps and (here's one excuse for him) either the hot read or 1st read receiver is not getting open, or (what is appears to me) he gets into panic mode whenever he has to progress to the second read.
    One of someones earlier points is exactly what I was screaming at my wife everytime we had the ball was we have the most talented left side on the offensive line and a game breaking RB, yet we barely ran on first down and if we did we ran right.
    It just doesn't seem to make any sense at all to pass the ball with our team.
    The QB obviously is not comfortable and it puts a ton of pressure on the entire team when we are asking him to make plays like 3rd and long when 2 consecutive runs might make a 3rd and short.
    One more point, our play-action is a complete joke, TJ needs to take a class on how to sell the fake, he hangs the ball out so far out away from the RB my grandma can see it's not a run from the next room.
    So for who to blame, I don't blame TJ since he doesn't call the plays, I would have to blame Childress's offense (even though he doesn't call it), he does have the final say and so far in the first 2 games, doesn't get that he has a badazz D and we should win as long as we control the clock and the ball.

()__))_C_R_A_Y_O_L_A__))>
    HTML for Yoopers!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    I think Marrdro forgot to wear his lucky shirt, I'm going to blame him.
    As a matter of fact, I didn't wear it nor the purple socks.
    That my friends won't happen again.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"PurpleMafia" wrote:
    Although I agree with the above rankings for the most part, I don't think it is fair to judge the WRs, when the QB is a D- at best. No, I am not another guy bashing Tarvaris. I just believe that when he adjusts to the NFL, his WRs will progress with him. The offensive line was mediocre at best. Its great to have 3 pro-bowlers on the left side. But when we have new and unexperienced guys on the right side, what does it matter? The line works as a whole. You can't expect much when not all the lineman arent up to par. You are only as strong as your weakest link... If our pass defense was as good as our run defense, we would have the best defense in the league. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Our run defense could be the best in the NFL, and give up 0 total yards on the ground all year, BUT....If we continue to give up 300+ passing yards a game and a ton of TDs through the air all day, we won't win a game. Overall, we need to improve in all areas. Not just at quarterback. Give the kid a chance. He has only had a few starts. I would love to know of a quarterback that was just amazing from the start. Trust me, I am from Indianapolis. Even Peyton Manning had struggles in his first year.
    Very nice.
    You my friend are wise beyond your years.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Maizen" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

:

Season rankings, so far:

Nice points Bud, I completely agree with your TJ take.
    I wish we had the luxury of an experienced QB to go along with this team.
    TJ's timing seems to be completely off in this offense.
    It's designed to take the drop-back and get the ball out as soon as you take the 3/5 steps and (here's one excuse for him) either the hot read or 1st read receiver is not getting open, or (what is appears to me) he gets into panic mode whenever he has to progress to the second read.
    One of someones earlier points is exactly what I was screaming at my wife everytime we had the ball was we have the most talented left side on the offensive line and a game breaking RB, yet we barely ran on first down and if we did we ran right.
    It just doesn't seem to make any sense at all to pass the ball with our team.
    The QB obviously is not comfortable and it puts a ton of pressure on the entire team when we are asking him to make plays like 3rd and long when 2 consecutive runs might make a 3rd and short.
    One more point, our play-action is a complete joke, TJ needs to take a class on how to sell the fake, he hangs the ball out so far out away from the RB my grandma can see it's not a run from the next room.
    So for who to blame, I don't blame TJ since he doesn't call the plays, I would have to blame Childress's offense (even though he doesn't call it), he does have the final say and so far in the first 2 games, doesn't get that he has a badazz D and we should win as long as we control the clock and the ball.
    StillPurple.
    I like some of your stuff however, I gotta disagree with you on a few points........

Maizen, I have yet to make up my mind on your posts/knowledge yet, however for you to say Nice Points........
    Damn...... :

He gave the OL a C+.
    The Lions Defensive line was in our backfield all day.
    How the hell does that equate to a C+.
    I give them an F.
    It all starts up front my friend.
    I assume you know that.

He gave the WR's an F.
    What the hell were they supposed to do.
    Run back to the QB after they ran there routes and take a handoff.
    Crap, if the QB doesn't have time to even execute a 3 step drop without running for his life how the hell can you blame the WR's for not getting open faster.
    Just doesn't happen if the OL doesn't do thier job.
    Again, go back and look at the game (I can't cause it makes me sick) and you will see that all of our Offensive problems (to include WR's and QB's in the passing scheme) starts with the OL.
    I do give Fergusen an F for dropping that damn easy one he was wide open on.
    They did make some nice catches when we needed them and the QB had time to get them off.
    I give them a C-.

He gave the TE a D.
    I would almost have to agree if he would have prefaced it with thier blocking abilities.
    I lump them right in with the OL when it comes to that area.
    I saw Shank get run over 2 or 3 times.
    As far as pass catching I saw Shank and Dugan make some good catches.
    I give them a C for Catching and a D for blocking.

He gave the special teams a D.
    What the heck game was he watching.
    I saw a couple nice returns, Kluwe boomed it deep and we even got a Kickoff into the end zone.
    The Lions definately started in bad field position all day as a result of the kicking.
    Now if you want to point out a couple of detractors, there was a fumble (got it back) by T-will and Longwell did miss a 52 yard chipshot.
    Damn.
    I give them a B+ for Punts/Kickoffs and a B+ for returns/coverage and a C- on FG.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"digital420" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

:

Season rankings, so far:

I'd agree, the ST did do an above average job. We didn't allow any big returns, they were stuck in BAD field position all game long, even when we punted from deep in our end.

I can see the issues with the right side of the Oline coming together, and once it does. i think we'll see a few addes seconds for Tjack and co to complete out some passing plays.

I rewatched some of the game last nite, and I noticed that more times then not, Tjack had to move, protect himself, and basicly give up on a given play due to lack of time. if we could have just gotten a second or 2 more I think we would have seen better throws and some more yardage.

Look at both the ending of the half, and ending of the game. In both instances we moved the ball well, got down and made plays. This is inspiring as you would think that the 2 min drills would be harder, but it comes down to again Tjack having the time to make the plays. I was suprised we didn't use Rice more.. but I am not the person making decisions on who's in and who's out. I'm sure though that we'll see more of him as time goes on.

and with detroits O.. you have to expect that they will be tossing the ball a lot..
    TBell dind't go anywhwere..
    Kitna/Osucks got their yardage in the air cause they couldn't do anything else. and even with probably the most talanted WR corps (maybe behined NE) we did hold them. watch.. they will score in the 20'2,30's and maybe 40's on other teams.
    Then people will realize that ok we gave up yards.. but not scores!!!

who do i blame..

fate!!

DiGiTaL

That same thing was being said last year in the third week of the season. It doesn't take that long to come together if you have the right coaching and the right players. We are missing either one or both.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast