Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Which to blame first? The scheme, or its execution?

[size=13pt]Which to blame first? The scheme, or its execution?[/size]

A new offense has carried the Vikings to a dead end, with coach and players grasping for answers.

By Vikings Insider Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: December 24, 2006 – 12:47 AM

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Re: Which to blame first? The scheme, or its execution?

He makes some good points.
    I find myself leaning towards the scheme being at fault more than execution. Apparently, Childress thinks highly of the scheme and expects the player to overcome the flaws thereof. I think it's time for him to modify.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I say the execution first... I am sure that the scheme is just fine, afterall he did mold it after Andy Reid, and we all know the success that he has had.. The problem is most likely in the playcalling itself.. It always seems like he is calling the plays backwards.. He should be calling the plays on 3rd down that he normally calls on 2nd down.. It just doesn't make sense to me..

patistheman is offline Starter

I think the problem lies with both the scheme and execution.
    On our third downs it looks like the primary reciever always runs a route short of the first down, you cant tell me that that is poor execution on all those plays, that must be the route for that particular play call, and if it wasnt when we are catching the ball short of the 1st down Childress should be showing some emotion on the sideline like other coaches when they recievers catch the ball short of a first, or at least grab them on the way off the field and tell them they ran the route wrong.
    And if it is the execution of the plays it is the coaches job to make sure players are doing things right.
    If he is going to blame it on the execution he better look at himself before blaming the players.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Scheme.

You fit the strengths of the players you have to a scheme that works best ... Not force it down their throats and then blame the players when it doesn't work.

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

"mnjamie" wrote:
    Scheme.

You fit the strengths of the players you have to a scheme that works best ... Not force it down their throats and then blame the players when it doesn't work.
    I agree. The scheme would work fine if we had the right players, but this is not the case. So, therefore the scheme should be at least slightly changed.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

it is the second coming of john shoop
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

"vikes2456" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:
    Scheme.

I agree. The scheme would work fine if we had the right players, but this is not the case. So, therefore the scheme should be at least slightly changed.
    Ditto. I'd elaborate, but it's basically the same, adjust scheme to players, not the other way around.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Onw way or the other it still comes down to the coach and his staff. They are responsible for devising a scheme that will allow them to score more points than the opposition and they are also responsible for putting players on the field that can execute those plays.

If the scheme is bad, the coach needs to adjust it and if the players are not doing their job then it is his job to put someone in there who can or train them to do the job properly.

It isn't like childress had no draft choices or cap room to bring in players like many new coaches face.He also inherited a fairly talented team. My take on the whole thing was that Wilf brought in Childress not because the team had no talent and the schemes were flawed, but because the last staff had run a loose ship and discipline was a problem. The addition of Chilly was supposed to bring stability and structure to the team but to me it seems like the team has less on field discipline than I have seen in my 40 years and they do not seem to be adapting to the changes well.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I would have to say the scheme isn't working because obviously something isn't working.
    You can keeping pushing and preaching something but if everybody else isn't getting you need admit something is and you need change your thinking a litttle bit.

In real the real world if your boss has no clue what he his doing the business will suffer and fall apart.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast