Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Blaine Stadium plans not liked

Seems that Zygmunt Wilf - who may be moving forward as the lead owner instead of Fowler - is not overly impressed with the plans from Anoka County. Now it may be a bargaining ploy on his part but he may be serious about looking at another site. Not knowing the area can anyone shed some light on whether the Lino Lakes site would be any good or not ?

Link to the Strib article below
    http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5384013.html
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Lando is offline Rookie

Re: Blaine Stadium plans not liked

Also -- what is the scoop with him saying he doesn't want a dome. That would be great for the Vikings, but in general (like they say) make it almost useless for anything else.

Blog Entries

"Lando" wrote:
    Also -- what is the scoop with him saying he doesn't want a dome. That would be great for the Vikings, but in general (like they say) make it almost useless for anything else.
    At the moment I'd favour a retractable roof so that the option is there to have it open or closed, problem with that is that the cost will be considerably more. So I can see there being some wrangles over that aspect but it would allow the stadium to be used a lot more and so generate more money for the team and local community

smoot2boot is offline Rookie

man an open stadium would be awesome, the plan for Blaine sounds pretty stupid with a clinic and offices, I mean it's a stadium not a mall.
    God, I hate you Joe Buck!

aceclown is offline Coach

The problem with an open design is that the stadium is limited in what venues it could serve. Personally, I would love our games to be played outdoors, so the way to fix this would be a retractable roof stadium. Play the games in the open, then for other events close the thing.

Chuch.

JLDII is offline Rookie

Having lived in this area for some time. I can tell you the Blaine location makes alot more sense than the Lino Lakes location. Lino Lakes is way to far removed from the hub area of the Twin Cities. If getting there is a problem, because it is so far removed from the downtown area, corporate ticket sells will probably drop off.

In Blaine, the stadium would be accessable from many different hiways in all directions, whereas in Lino Lakes, everything will have to come and go on I35.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to slide into it broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming at the top of your lungs......
    "WOW, What a ride!"

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I like the idea of an open stadium. I could really care less about what other venues the stadium may be used for. I really only care about the original purpose of the stadium: Vikings football.

Blog Entries

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I like the idea of an open stadium. I could really care less about what other venues the stadium may be used for. I really only care about the original purpose of the stadium: Vikings football.
    Fair point but if the bill for a new stadium is a big as has been suggested then the new owners will be looking to maximise it's use - especially if they are getting more out of it then under the current arrangements with the Dome.
    One beef has always been how little money the team makes, with a stadium that can be used for many things outside of the football season then the potential to use it to full effect has to be a big factor - I don't want to be looking at the Vikes in 25 years time and going through all the same arguments again

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"AngloVike" wrote:
    One beef has always been how little money the team makes, with a stadium that can be used for many things outside of the football season then the potential to use it to full effect has to be a big factor -
    Then the rich owners should pay for it themselves. JMO, but how can the Vikings expect to benefit financially from non-football functions when the owner only paid a portion of the money to build it? The rest of the money will be put up by the county and the state (unless there's some other investors involved).

I think a lot of the beef was related to parking, which the team has never received, since the parking around the dome is privately, or city, owned.

"AngloVike" wrote:
    I don't want to be looking at the Vikes in 25 years time and going through all the same arguments again
    I hear ya. The stadium was an issue before Red even bought the team, which was less that 15 years after public money was used to build the dome. A city or state shouldn't be held hostage every 10 - 15 years.

It should have been arranged when the dome was in the planning stages to repeal the 1/2% sales tax hike once the dome was paid off. There would be more options now had that happened. Some people lack foresight.

We should be grateful too that the state got an agreement, or guarantee, in writing from the NFL that the Vikings would not be allowed to re-locate until 2011. Red would have been bound for LA long ago if the league would have let him. I hope the NFL would agree to something like that again.

[size=24px]FIFTEEN HUNDRED - WOO HOO !!![/size]

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Vikings Fan At MSU is offline Training Camp

"JLDII" wrote:
    Having lived in this area for some time. I can tell you the Blaine location makes alot more sense than the Lino Lakes location. Lino Lakes is way to far removed from the hub area of the Twin Cities. If getting there is a problem, because it is so far removed from the downtown area, corporate ticket sells will probably drop off.

In Blaine, the stadium would be accessable from many different hiways in all directions, whereas in Lino Lakes, everything will have to come and go on I35.
    I have lived in Blaine for almost 21 years now.
    Apparently you dont know the area very well. First of all Lino Lakes and Blaine border eachother as cities. From where they are telling the location would be it's virtually right on the border of the two cities. By the way 35W runs through by Lino Lakes
    Make Derrick Johnson the 7th pick in the 2005 NFL Draft

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast