Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blaine?

Blaine?

Ziggy seems to have no patience about the stadium issue to go straight to Anoka instead of keeping the team near, I don't know, most of the State's population. There's no mass transit to Blaine, and why should the 700,000 taxpayers of THE CITIES have to drive way the hell out to Blaine? Personally, I think they should get the Twins a stadium and renovate the HHH.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Inching closer to a new stadium???

Looks like Wilf has expressed his preference in writing:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2125167
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

Re: Inching closer to a new stadium???

way to go zygi! this is what we need. for our new owner to begin serious movements towards a new stadium way early in his reign as owner.

Go vikes!!

zimtwister is offline Coach

Re: Blaine?

blaine is closer to me than the cities!
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I like the whole complex idea, but I prefer it downtown. I love going downtown for games; along the riverfront would have been awesome...darned Guthrie.

Prophet Guest

Wilf is willing to invest a billion dollars, I would say that is a committment on his part.

Between the cost of the team, the land purchases and other costs, Wilf could eventually invest $1 billion in the project, Novak said. "Our public office holders ought to take note of that level of commitment," he said.
    --------------------

Posted on Fri, Aug. 05, 2005

Wilf backs stadium plan in letter
    Vikings owner says he has rejected other sites
    BY BOB SHAW
    Pioneer Press

The owner of the Minnesota Vikings has repeated a pledge — this time in writing — to build a stadium as part of a $1.6 billion multi-use project in Blaine.

In a letter to Anoka County and Blaine officials dated Aug. 1, real estate tycoon Zygmunt Wilf said he was rejecting alternative sites for the stadium. He also said he supported the county's concept for a development that would include a $645 million stadium.

He made the same comments in June, but putting it in writing adds emphasis to the commitment, said Steve Novak, the county's government services manager.

Novak said the letter was a message to the governor and the Legislature that Wilf wants to keep the Vikings in Minnesota.

"We tried to get (previous Vikings owner) Red McCombs to do this for a year, and he wouldn't," Novak said.

"He is no longer wasting time with other cities and counties," Novak said. "He is not saying there are 16 other sites that might be good. It's an important message to hear."

He said Wilf is continuing to negotiate to buy land on the site, along Interstate 35W.

Lester Bagley, vice president of public affairs and stadium development for the Vikings, said: "We're committed to moving this project forward. It's a public commitment to the community to purchase property and create jobs."

Wilf's letter was addressed to County Board Chairwoman Margaret Langfeld and Blaine Mayor Tom Ryan.

Anoka County has spearheaded plans to finance a new stadium, calling for the cost to be split three ways among the owner, the county and the state. The County Board has agreed to levy a 0.75 percent sales tax for its part of the cost, and Wilf has said he will pay his share.

But in its last session, the Legislature wouldn't sign onto the plan.

"It's embarrassing they have not committed," Novak said. "The state is a major benefactor if the Vikings and Twins stay in the state."

Novak hopes the issue could be revisited if the governor calls back lawmakers for a special session this fall.

Between the cost of the team, the land purchases and other costs, Wilf could eventually invest $1 billion in the project, Novak said. "Our public office holders ought to take note of that level of commitment," he said.

County Commissioner Dan Erhart read the letter and was equally impressed.

"The letter was stronger than I thought it would be," he said.

Although the Legislature hasn't backed a stadium plan, Erhart and other stadium supporters are forging ahead. Erhart met with legislators Thursday morning and planned to meet with Wilf today.

Sean Jensen contributed to this report. Bob Shaw can be reached at [email protected] or 651-228-5433.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/12306550.htm

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

1 Billion???????

That's it???????????????/

:lol:

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Prophet Guest

The legislative body is composed of fools if they don't finally bite on the new stadium issue. A new stadium being built in a Super Bowl year is only fitting. Start off the 2006 season as the Champs in a brand new stadium...that would be just what the doctor ordered.

Football stadiums should always be located in the suburbs...the reasons are myriad. FIrst and foremost, the stadium is only used 10 times a year for its primary purpose...to locate it in the middle of the city is a gross misuse of valuable land. Now baseball is another story, with 81 regular season games plus preseason and possible postseason games allowing the baseball stadium to be used many more times for its primary purpose. Plus, with the demands for more parking for tailgating purposes (much more a football than baseball tradition nationwide), the suburbs provide even more land to be used for this purpose. Also, the fact that football is only one day a week for the most part (and that only every other game is actually a home game), it is not near as much a burden for people to trek out to the suburbs to see a football game. In addition, having a football stadium that far out eventually spurs the metropolitan area to build mass transit out to the stadium area, benefiting not only the people who attend the games, but also the residents that live out there and beyond who work in the city by providing another daily commuting option to them. I see how that developed here in Washington DC...they built FedEx way out, then extended the Metro by two stations to serve that area...now people who live out there don't have to drive into the city for work...they just park at the stations and Metro in...less congestion, less polution, more for everyone. I could continue presenting reasons why Blaine makes more sense...but I don't have all day. Suffice it to say that Blaine ultimately makes the most sense, both economically and logically. Minnesota could then demolish the Metrodome and build a new baseball-only stadium for the Twins and use the extra space left over from the Dome footprint to build retail and commercial properties that would benefit the downtown area, both economically and aesthetically. Baseball, basketball and hockey all have weekday games, games that benefit from having the workforce downtown during the week, fans that have easy access to the venues...football is mainly on the weekend, so it doesn't matter near as much that they are downtown. That's enough for now.

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    1 Billion???????

That's it???????????????/

:lol:
    I am guessing that his money will mostly be invested in the surrounding retail, commercial and residential areas...not the stadium itself. He would probably expect the Minnesota taxpayers to pay for most of that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast