Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Blackout A Good Thing?

Work at the Dome. Press release in the Ticket Office said it's going to be blacked out. And again, i'd rather have culpepper than the three sub-mentals we have now.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]WCCO-TV seeks partner to help buy tickets[/size]

Vikings hope to avert first blackout since 1997

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 11/13/2007 11:54:26 PM CST

With an assist from WCCO-TV, the Vikings were able to sell out their previous home game against San Diego, and the CBS affiliate is willing to do its part to get Sunday's game against Oakland on the air....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"singersp" wrote:

Loyd wouldn't put a number on how many tickets the station is prepared to buy this time but said there likely will be too many for WCCO to purchase. "I don't think the general public is buying right now at a rate that would suggest that number would be easy for us to hit on our own," she said.
    Sell them for half price. That would help ease the burden.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

God, I don't want to see a black out, but maybe we need one to wake some people up.
    Fans as well as ownership.

I brought up the possibility of a blackout to a friend of mine who lives in Alexandria.
    He said he wasn't worried about a blackout because he didn't think it would affect him.
    I remembered this from the home opener though:
    NFL requires the Vikings to sell 62,000 tickets to consider the Metrodome sold out. A blackout would have kept the game off TV screens in the Twin Cities, Rochester, Mankato, Austin, Alexandria and other areas in the region.
    Looks to me like a pretty good portion of Minnesota would miss the game in the event of a blackout.
    Maybe we have had Vikings games on TV for so long that people are starting to take them for granted...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Since I'm "out of market" and have Sunday Ticket, I'll still get the game, but I don't see this blackout possibility in any way as a positive thing.
    Point blank, it says that fanconfidence in the team has eroded significantly...and that, if nothing else, should be sending a message to Ziggy.

You have 7 games to go in a 16 game season, and the fans have given up.
    Now you need the TV station and any "partners" it can scrap up to bail out your sell out string.
    Not good.
    Especially since the new owner has been in place only 2 1/2 years.

I truly believe that if the fans actually thought that Childress was moving the team in a positive direction, they'd still go.
    After all, people can take a loss if they see enough positive things to build on.
    And, lord knows, Viking fans aren't really "Instant gratification" fans - having never won a Superbowl, we've never had the luxury of being spoiled.

If this isn't screaming "There's a problem here" to Ziggy, then nothing will.

Caine

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

As of right now, it looks like the game will be on in the Chicago area. That will probably change as we get closer to game day.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Wake up call? Please.

Fans don't show to see a losing football team, especially when its in the dome. It's that simple. The last time we were actually good is 4 years in the past. Most of the fans who don't go to the game won't care that the game is blacked out. If they really cared, they would go to the game.

Instead they'll just flip it over to the other game/run Sunday errands/go play catch with junior.

There are owners who hate losing, and there are owners who hate losing money. This offseason we'll find out which one Wilf is. At the same time, we're sure to see some interesting trade talks. How much will we give up on D to get better on O.

You prevent blackouts by selling out. You sell out by winning games. You win games by putting a talented football team on the field. In turn, the fans fall in love with that talent.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

WOW...te concept of blackouts is stupid in the NFL. What if you just cannot make it to the games. To blackout for low ticket sales is stupid. Out dated thinking with all this information on the web and everywhere else. What they are going to stop yahoo or espn from updating gamecast as well?

Stupid old rule needs to be abolished!

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"V" wrote:
    Wake up call? Please.

Fans don't show to see a losing football team, especially when its in the dome. It's that simple. The last time we were actually good is 4 years in the past. Most of the fans who don't go to the game won't care that the game is blacked out. If they really cared, they would go to the game.

Instead they'll just flip it over to the other game/run Sunday errands/go play catch with junior.

There are owners who hate losing, and there are owners who hate losing money. This offseason we'll find out which one Wilf is. At the same time, we're sure to see some interesting trade talks. How much will we give up on D to get better on O.

You prevent blackouts by selling out. You sell out by winning games. You win games by putting a talented football team on the field. In turn, the fans fall in love with that talent.
    You cannot simply flip the channel.
    They do not show another game at the same time when the team is at home.
    Like here, when the Browns play at home, there is not another game on.
    Last week when they played at Pitt, the Vikes were on the other channel.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    Wake up call? Please.

You cannot simply flip the channel.
    They do not show another game at the same time when the team is at home.
    Like here, when the Browns play at home, there is not another game on.
    Last week when they played at Pitt, the Vikes were on the other channel.
    Hence, you run errands, play catch with junior, go ice fishing etc...

I'm not saying its what I would do. I would go on the internet and watch the e-ticker thing until my eyes bled. However, I realize that not everyone is as passionate as I am, and they will find other things to do with their time if the hometeam, which isn't very good in the first place, isn't on TV.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast