Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: BJ's 40 yarder to TW uncovers a glaring weakness.....

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    Brad Johnson throws to fast guys slow guys and himself.........

Tavaris can't hold his jock.
    Not only CAN TJack hold Brad's jock, but he can wash it, dry it and apply a nice baby powder coating to it before Brad even knows he's taken it off.

=Z=
    No wonder brad is always smiling.

Prophet Guest

"carolinafan" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    I think most of your posts have been as a Troy apologist, trying to convince everyone he is a hero.
    I like the guy and think he'll develop into a decent receiver in the NFL.
    The BJ arm strength is a press induced fallacy.
    Sure, he can't pass deep like the Mannings of the world, but he will do fine with protection.
    I'm not worried about it.
    Troy's development as a receiver has a lot more room for improvement, much more than BJs development as a QB.
    BJ makes up for his loss of athleticism by using his brain and continuing to develop.
    The BJ/Williamson connection will be more reliant on Williamson's development as a top-tier WR in the NFL.
    1st off - I have never "apologized" about TW.
    TW needs no apology made for him.
    The first post I ever made on here stated I was a new Vike fan b/c of TW...plain and simple.

The Viking fans who have been cracking on TW from day one, (and they know who they are), needed a dose of reality about TW and his ability.
    By their own admission, they made post after post dogging TW, then admitted they had never seen him play.
    WTF?
    Apologist, not apologizing.
    Talking about his athletic days in college and how he's going to be great.
    Just wait.
    There's nothing wrong with that, you're just jumping into the mix, it appears, because of a single player on the team and then justifying your new-found allegiance by supporting that player.
    Happens, and you said that's what you're doing.
    More power to you.

There are plenty of people that rip on players that have never seen them play, happens too.
    That's what you get when members range from barely leaving the nipple to retired folks.

2nd - numerous threads about TW turned into a "he'll never be a Randy Moss" thread.
    Again, I usually pointed out the stupidity of those types of post.
    He may never be a Randy Moss, but the people who were blasting him before he ever stepped on the field were almost comical.

I've never been a Moss crotch sniffer, so I'm confident I didn't fall into that category.
    There are a bunch of them though, do a search for Moss and you'll see thousands of threads on him.
    Fun to watch, great player, but he ain't on the Vikings anymore.

3rd - You may be one of the people I'm talking about, or you may not.
    My post to start this thread was not a slight on BJ.
    He has proven more on the field than TW, but TW is in his second year so cut him some slack on that comparison.
    I was just making an observation about what I saw on that play.
    I doubt Brad's arm is as strong as it once was, but he is likely a better overall QB than he once was too so it's a trade off.
    TW on a straight fly pattern can get out of range quickly.
    While SC didn't have great QB's while TW was there, they did have QB's that could sling it a mile and TW was constantly waiting on balls.

I'm not.
    I'm excited about TW, but I also tend to be a realist.
    He will take time to develop, he obviously has the athletic ability.
    Most Vikings fans are praying that he takes a leadership role in the WR corps this year.

Football is about teamwork.
    Whether he can outrun the ball or not is not really interesting to me.
    I can run down the stairs faster than I can ride the elevator down, but sometimes I prefer to take the elevator (horrible analogy, but you read it anyway).
    If a younger buck was at QB, sure, Williamson could cruise down the field for the 60+ yarders every other play...last I checked that doesn't work very well in the NFL.
    Will BJ be effective?
    I sure hope so.
    Will Williamson overrun (or BJ underthrow) the passes?
    Well, I sure hope they get it together and come to some sort of a consensus on that.
    I'm confident that the O-line will give BJ time for the occasional long pass, so I'm not worried about it.

4th - I've never heard that BJ has a weak arm...........I was just thinking before the season that b/c of his age, he might have a little less arm than he used to and wondered if that would effect some passes.
    Dang right I want to see TW smoke every DB in the league on every game so he can shove it back in the fans faces who booed him on draft day.

Sure, he has less than he use to.
    Oh well.
    I'm with you, I want to see Williamson smoke DBs took, and there should be plenty of opportunities for that to happen.

As far as the fans that booed him on draft day, there isn't a pick, ever, where some fans aren't booing.
    Nothing new.
    I guess since he's your guy you took it personally.
    I know that I'm glad the Vikings didn't take Mike Williams instead of Troy Williamson.
    Will he pan out?
    The potential is there, for sure more potential than Williams has it appears.
    It will be a fun year to see him develop.

Del Rio Guest

"Prophet" wrote:
    "carolinafan" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    I think most of your posts have been as a Troy apologist, trying to convince everyone he is a hero.
    I like the guy and think he'll develop into a decent receiver in the NFL.
    The BJ arm strength is a press induced fallacy.
    Sure, he can't pass deep like the Mannings of the world, but he will do fine with protection.
    I'm not worried about it.
    Troy's development as a receiver has a lot more room for improvement, much more than BJs development as a QB.
    BJ makes up for his loss of athleticism by using his brain and continuing to develop.
    The BJ/Williamson connection will be more reliant on Williamson's development as a top-tier WR in the NFL.
    1st off - I have never "apologized" about TW.
    TW needs no apology made for him.
    The first post I ever made on here stated I was a new Vike fan b/c of TW...plain and simple.
    The Viking fans who have been cracking on TW from day one, (and they know who they are), needed a dose of reality about TW and his ability.
    By their own admission, they made post after post dogging TW, then admitted they had never seen him play.
    WTF?
    Apologist, not apologizing.
    Talking about his athletic days in college and how he's going to be great.
    Just wait.
    There's nothing wrong with that, you're just jumping into the mix, it appears, because of a single player on the team and then justifying your new-found allegiance by supporting that player.
    Happens, and you said that's what you're doing.
    More power to you.

There are plenty of people that rip on players that have never seen them play, happens too.
    That's what you get when members range from barely leaving the nipple to retired folks.

2nd - numerous threads about TW turned into a "he'll never be a Randy Moss" thread.
    Again, I usually pointed out the stupidity of those types of post.
    He may never be a Randy Moss, but the people who were blasting him before he ever stepped on the field were almost comical.

I've never been a Moss crotch sniffer, so I'm confident I didn't fall into that category.
    There are a bunch of them though, do a search for Moss and you'll see thousands of threads on him.
    Fun to watch, great player, but he ain't on the Vikings anymore.

3rd - You may be one of the people I'm talking about, or you may not.
    My post to start this thread was not a slight on BJ.
    He has proven more on the field than TW, but TW is in his second year so cut him some slack on that comparison.
    I was just making an observation about what I saw on that play.
    I doubt Brad's arm is as strong as it once was, but he is likely a better overall QB than he once was too so it's a trade off.
    TW on a straight fly pattern can get out of range quickly.
    While SC didn't have great QB's while TW was there, they did have QB's that could sling it a mile and TW was constantly waiting on balls.

I'm not.
    I'm excited about TW, but I also tend to be a realist.
    He will take time to develop, he obviously has the athletic ability.
    Most Vikings fans are praying that he takes a leadership role in the WR corps this year.

Football is about teamwork.
    Whether he can outrun the ball or not is not really interesting to me.
    I can run down the stairs faster than I can ride the elevator down, but sometimes I prefer to take the elevator (horrible analogy, but you read it anyway).
    If a younger buck was at QB, sure, Williamson could cruise down the field for the 60+ yarders every other play...last I checked that doesn't work very well in the NFL.
    Will BJ be effective?
    I sure hope so.
    Will Williamson overrun (or BJ underthrow) the passes?
    Well, I sure hope they get it together and come to some sort of a consensus on that.
    I'm confident that the O-line will give BJ time for the occasional long pass, so I'm not worried about it.

4th - I've never heard that BJ has a weak arm...........I was just thinking before the season that b/c of his age, he might have a little less arm than he used to and wondered if that would effect some passes.
    Dang right I want to see TW smoke every DB in the league on every game so he can shove it back in the fans faces who booed him on draft day.

Oh well.
    I'm with you, I want to see Williamson smoke DBs took, and there should be plenty of opportunities for that to happen.

As far as the fans that booed him on draft day, there isn't a pick, ever, where some fans aren't booing.
    Nothing new.
    I know that I'm glad the Vikings didn't take Mike Williams instead of Troy Williamson.
    Will he pan out?
    Prophet Im sending you that bike broken so you can spend your friday nights doing something better then kicking the shit out of the handicapped.

carolinafan is offline Rookie

Oh well.

Nothing new.
    Will he pan out?

[/quote]

In case you're wondering, I was a Vike fan when I was a kid and Joe Kapp was there (so I'm showing my age).
    I haven't really followed them closely the past 10 years or so until last year.
    For most hard core fans of the Vikes, they're there I'm sure no matter who wears the uniform.
    By watching TW each Saturday for several years, I know what he's capable of.
    Doesn't mean he'll do it in the NFL, but he's the type of person and player you can pull for.
    The booing on draft day didn't shock me nearly as much as the number of people booing?
    That's what pi$$ed me off a little.
    I boo at games all the time.
    I also boo a player who consistently messes up that's making millions.
    I would have thought TW would at least have had a chance to "screw up" before he got booed in MN.

He's making millions, so I guess it doesn't matter now.
    I'm sure the Vike fans are pulling for him and the rest of the team, so we'll see how this all plays out.

Nice chatting with you.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"carolinafan" wrote:
    I would have thought TW would at least have had a chance to "screw up" before he got booed in MN.

He's making millions, so I guess it doesn't matter now.
    I'm sure the Vike fans are pulling for him and the rest of the team, so we'll see how this all plays out.

Nice chatting with you.
    I don't recall anyone booing TWill at the 4 home games I went to last year.
    But it's gotta be tough to follow a legend like Randy.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

oakmage is offline Starter

"Prophet" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    No Troy runs too fast,

Brad is perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troy runs too fast its his fault.
    Tarvaris Jackson could pass the ball 80 yards in the air - AND THEN catch it himself!

=Z=
    I heard that he tried it in practice and he outran the pass.
    If he wasn't so fast he would be a good QB/WR combo.
    He is so fast that I herd that when he plays reciever even his shadow can't keep up with him

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

How does one uncover a glaring weakness? If it is glaring, it does not need uncovered.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

You only want to out throw the secondary but never the receiver, as far as Troy adjusting to the throw, that is what he has to do and he is progressing nicely

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

has anyone seen my pants?

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

I think in some ways Arm strength is overrated in the NFL.
    Fran Tarkenton couldn't throw a ball more then 40 yards either, but was deadly on the fifteen yard hitch.
    also for those who say those guys are slower back then, I say bull Sammy White was a speed demon too in his day.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast