COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Bit and Pieces From the Tribune

Coach Brad Childress insisted the team has yet to make a final decision about the future of receiver Nate Burleson, who signed an offer sheet last week with Seattle. The Vikings have until 11 p.m. Friday to match the contract or let him leave; in the latter case, they would receive the Seahawks' third-round pick in next month's draft.

There is no indication the Vikings plan to contest a pair of "poison pill" clauses in the contract that would force them to guarantee him $49 million if they match. Assuming Burleson moves on, the deal will be worth about $14.5 million over four years.

Without Burleson, the Vikings would be counting on receiver Troy Williamson for a major contribution in 2007. The seventh overall pick in the 2005 draft, Williamson has impressed Childress during early offseason workouts.

"He catches it better than I thought," Childress said. "Does he need release skills at the line of scrimmage? Yes he does. But he is pretty young, and he was inactive a lot last year. I expect him to make a big jump from Year 1 to Year 2."

Etc.

• Childress said 55 of the team's 64 players are working out regularly in the offseason strength and conditioning program. "It sends a pretty good message that by and large your whole team is there," Childress said. "It shows me that those guys want to be good."

• Asked if any player has surprised him during workouts, Childress named tight end Richard Owens. He said Owens' versatility will allow him to work as a traditional tight end and at fullback, while also playing on all four special teams.

• The Vikings are unlikely to sign a punter prior to their April 7-9 minicamp, which will be held indoors at Winter Park and will not include much kicking. Childress has expressed concern about incumbent punter Chris Kluwe's ability to recover from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

(My note I wonder who was missing from the workouts besides Kluwe and how long they will still be with the team?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Bit and Pieces From the Tribune

"COJOMAY" wrote:

Without Burleson, the Vikings would be counting on receiver Troy Williamson for a major contribution in 2007. The seventh overall pick in the 2005 draft, Williamson has impressed Childress during early offseason workouts.

"He catches it better than I thought," Childress said. "Does he need release skills at the line of scrimmage? Yes he does. But he is pretty young, and he was inactive a lot last year. I expect him to make a big jump from Year 1 to Year 2."
    I was really hoping to hear that!!

Troy Williamson is gonna be a featured wideout!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thank you Josdin for the sig

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Troy Will better step his game up, i need someone to cheer for...
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

im ready to see what he has..i know he has some great playmaking ability after making a catch with his agility..id like to see him actually catch a deep ball this year without losing it completely while running under it
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

id rather us count on him in 2006 rather than 2007..i dont know why the writer of the article said he would contribute after this year
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

as much as i loved burleson, losing him might help the club overall. IMO the combination of Robinson/Williamson has more potential, and the 3rd round pick sure is nice. This gives Williamson the chance to show why he was drafted so high, a chance that would have been harder to come by as a no. 3. I think the stage is set for him to turn a lot of heads.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"olson_10" wrote:
    id rather us count on him in 2006 rather than 2007..i dont know why the writer of the article said he would contribute after this year

I read that too, and thought why not 2006! It might of been a mistake on the writer's part, hopefully he meant 2006.

Some of the missing players could be players that we sent to NFL Europe, I believe Koren is doing broadcast commentary for some of the games in Europe.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Remember that catch and run he had against the Ravens? Nothing but a preview of what lies ahead in his future.