singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Birk's Restaurant: Matty B's Supper Club

[size=18px]Matty B's Supper Club[/size]

July 13, 2005

Author: Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

On July 16th, Vikings center Matt Birk will be hosting the first annual Matty B's Boat Cruise in St. Paul to benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF). The event will begin with a 12:00pm champagne brunch buffet at Matty B's followed by a 2:30pm departure on board the Harriet Bishop for a three-hour cruise down the Mississippi River. Live music will be provided by the Christine Rosholt quartet for entertainment and dancing. There will also be a complimentary dessert table and dance lessons offered in Swing and Rumba styles.

The name of the event is derived from the four-time All-Pro's new restaurant, Matty B's, which opened on March 1st and is located in St. Paul.

"You see a lot of golf outings and such for charity events," Michael Colosimo, co-owner of Matty B's said. "This is a unique event with a new twist and it gives the community a different way to contribute."

"Anyone who lives in or around St. Paul will tell you the [Mississippi] River is really central to the city," Birk said. "Utilizing the river and cruising on a boat seemed like a natural fit for the area and for a charity event."

Already a generous contributor to the community, Birk's restaurant business motivates him to fight for another cause. Matty B's co-owner, Hassan Abdel-Moneim, has a daughter with diabetes. As Birk and his business partners began searching for a cause to benefit from the event, juvenile diabetes seemed appropriate.

"It's a great feeling to have hard work payoff and benefit something else other than the bottom line," Colosimo said.

Colosimo also said the group hopes to host other charity events throughout the course of the year. He mentioned ideas such as a "Matty B's Golf Tournament" or an ice fishing contest.

Birk's desire to tie his restaurant in with charity events comes as no surprise. The nine-year veteran is as dedicated to his community off the field as he is to his team on it. Each year, the four-time All-Pro offensive lineman hosts a golf tournament to benefit the HIKE Foundation. Birk participates in numerous other charity events as well, and is the reigning Minnesota Vikings Community Man of the Year.

"I've gotten to this point in my life because so many people have helped me along the way when they didn't have to," Birk says. "I like to give back and help others out just like people helped me. It's a continuous circle where I've been helped along, and now that I can help people I want to do so. And hopefully, those people will go on and give back as well."

Matty B's is a supper club located in the heart of downtown St. Paul. Birk and his business partners wanted to bring a taste of "old St. Paul" in the opening of a new restaurant. The space, formerly occupied by Gallivan's, was renovated and redecorated to capture the ambience and charm of a Golden Era supper club. The dark mahogany and cherry woodwork, dim lights and jazz music in the background create an elegant and enjoyable atmosphere. The restaurant has also teamed with archivists at the St. Paul Pioneer Press and the Ramsey Historical Society to display montages of photographs of St. Paul in times gone by.

There are two ways to participate in the event. You can purchase tickets for both the brunch and cruise for $100, or you can also purchase a ticket for the cruise only for $50. Tickets can be purchased through the Paddleford River Co online at www.riverrides.com or by calling (651) 227-1100. Tickets can also be purchased in person at Matty B's Supper Club.

Matty B's features both a lunch menu and a dinner menu. You can access Matty B's website by clicking here.

Matty B's Supper Club

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

crazyB is offline Starter

Re: Birk's Restaurant: Matty B's Supper Club

:grin: that's great news have any of you guy's been to Birk's restaurant Matty B's Supper Club?...

when i get a chance to go to Minnesota i'd love to check it out.
    8)

8) crazyB that s Mr crazyB to you 8)

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

i saw the pictures and his site, and it looks great!
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

boognish is offline Coordinator

Mmmmm....did you get a load of that menu? TASTY TREATS!! Next time I'm back in MN I'm making it a point to go there.
    I am a dipshit!!!

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

Thanks for the heads up. I might try to get out there, this should be fun.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

$35 for a 20 oz. Porterhouse! You are certainly paying for ambiance there.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

When I get a chance to go out to Minnesota, I'll definatley check it out!

Thank you Josdin for the sig

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i wouldnt mind checkin this place out (did i mention i love birk?)

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese