Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Birk will play if...........

If surgery would only force him to miss half our games, I'd say go with that.

If it will force him to miss the entire year, but he's willing to play through pain as long as we guarantee him his salary for next year, I'd say go with that. Chances are he would have the surgery in mid February of next year and be ready to go by early next season.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

I want to go on record as saying I hate it. I think it's selfish, I think it's stupid, and I think it's not the Vikings fault, thus they shouldn't have to do it.

I furthermore think of Daunte, or Nate, or anyone else pulled this Matt "Boyscout" Birk would flip out on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Rotoworld.com's too-accurate take:

Matt Birk - C - MIN - Aug. 24 - 11:46 pm et

Vikings C Matt Birk will reportedly only play this season through 'excruciating' abdomen pain if the Vikings guarantee his 2006 salary.
    Birk, the leader of Minnesota's O-line, requires hip surgery. He could possibly delay the surgery until after the season. Leveraging health status for pay is a new one. If T.O. or Randy Moss tried this, they would be crucified by every columnist in the country. Aug. 24 - 11:

The Vikes have to pay him this year if he plays or not!

What he is saying is that if he plays and he does permanent damage and can not play next year he wants some money guaranteed!

If he has the surgery and comes back next year and plays they have to pay him or cut him. Which if he is healthy a lot of teams would pick him up.

So, does he risk his career and play this year for no incentive, or does he just have the surgery and wait to see what next year brings.

Instead he gives the Vikes the option, he is willing to risk a career shortening or ending injury and play this year because the Vikes need him. But the Vikes have to be willing to give him compensation for the risk he is taking.

The long and the short of it is the Vikes have to pay him this year either way. So how is that leveraging health for pay, he is going to get next years pay from us or another team.

I think it is good that he gave the Vikes a choice. He could have just said I am having the surgery and screw ya, pay me my money for this year and I will see you in March for mini-camp!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I am sorry, but I think if some genetic factors were different, the media would be murdering him for this.

Kind of like they almost murdered TO for rushing back for the super bowl.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    I want to go on record as saying I hate it. I think it's selfish, I think it's stupid, and I think it's not the Vikings fault, thus they shouldn't have to do it.

I furthermore think of Daunte, or Nate, or anyone else pulled this Matt "Boyscout" Birk would flip out on them.

Because he yelled at poor Randy last year when he disrespected the whole team by walking out on them!

Get over it 8404!!

Are you like Randy's girlfriend or something!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

MiketheVike is offline Waterboy

All of you guys who talk of Birk "honoring" his contract obligations needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Birk is an employee in a league who can tear up a contract at the will of the organization. If Birk plays and permanently injures himself, do you think the Vikings will honor the $30 million contract Birk is currently under? If you do, I have some igloos to sell you in Alasksa...I'll give you a fantastic deal.

Not to say that I agree with athletes like T.O. BUT, if there is any situation in which I think an athlete should ask for more guaranteed money before playing...this is exactly that situation. Hell...I will even go so far to say that as a husband and a father, he has a DUTY to ask for more guaranteed money if their is even a chance of permanent injury.
    It is not the easy or convenient life for which I search, but rather life lived to the edge of all my possibility.

Del Rio Guest

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    I am sorry, but I think if some genetic factors were different, the media would be murdering him for this.

Kind of like they almost murdered TO for rushing back for the super bowl.
    Kind of like how they are all over his knob for it now? How they use him playing through pain to praise him now? Yeah that guy, the dark skinned one.

I'm not going to say racism doesn't exsist but damn that's hysterical. T.O. gets blasted because he's a prick. Moss gets blasted because he's a prick.

Hey he isn't forcing anyones hand. It's up to the Vikings what they want to do. He's giving them a choice. If it was me I would say fuck you all I'm getting surgery. There is no doubt that if he sat a year and needed a team to go to he wouldn't be waiting long before the phone started ringing.

Del Rio Guest

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Because he yelled at poor Randy last year when he disrespected the whole team by walking out on them!

Get over it 8404!!

Are you like Randy's girlfriend or something!
    That's pretty much what it boils down to, that and he is being oppressed by the man. Everything is a conspiracy against the brothers.

Hrm, Del I just wrote you a PM, only I think the system ate it or something. Oh well, I'll write it again after work.

And as for you Mr. Whack, you're ignorant. Try seeing layers of meaning.

Del Rio Guest

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Hrm, Del I just wrote you a PM, only I think the system ate it or something. Oh well, I'll write it again after work.

And as for you Mr. Whack, you're ignorant. Try seeing layers of meaning.
    Yeah it hasn't come yet, if you get a chance write me another one.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast