Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Birk will play if...........

"coreychavous21" wrote:
    "kyleo1967" wrote:
    He's under contract. If he is able to play through the pain, he should play period.

That being said, I hope the vikes annie up and pay the big man. When healthy he is a top 4 or 5 center in this league.
    4 or 5. Come on he is the best in the league. I mean who is better then him?
    I agree he needs the money but IMO Kevin Mawae and Olin Kreutz may be better. Sorry Birk the Brik.

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

I just want him to play. When I found out he might be out for the season I about had a heart attack. He has to be in the game.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "coreychavous21" wrote:
    "kyleo1967" wrote:
    He's under contract. If he is able to play through the pain, he should play period.

That being said, I hope the vikes annie up and pay the big man. When healthy he is a top 4 or 5 center in this league.
    4 or 5. Come on he is the best in the league. I mean who is better then him?
    I agree he needs the money but IMO Kevin Mawae and Olin Kreutz may be better. Sorry Birk the Brik.
    True. Mawae and Kreutz are better. But, Matt is good no doubt.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Should be interesting to see what we do here. If he can't do damage to himself and is able to play through the pain effectively(very important), and will be able to have off-season surgery and play in 2006, then we should definitely guarantee him money for 2006. If there is a chance he could not play in 2006 or ever, by playing hurt this season, then no way we should or probably would let him play, instead of having the surgery.

All I know is I would take a hurt birk over withrow, provided the hurt birk can get healthy over the off-season and play the following season.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

we need birk this year if we are going to make a superbowl run. But we need the birk that can pull and get out there on the edge on running plays and dominate in the inside running game as well. If he is limited then just let him sit out and get healthy. If he was only going to be out 3 months, then we could get him back during week 10 or 11, so it is very interesting to see how this unfolds...

revprodeji is offline Starter

better question is if matt is out who do we bring in? can cory handle the starting spot all year?
    www.prodeji.mychoices.biz

Prophet Guest

POSTED 8:49 p.m. EDT, August 24, 2005
    BIRK SQUEEZES VIKES' BALLS

Maybe it's just us, but we're deeply troubled by the news that Vikings center Matt Birk will opt not to undergo additional surgery and play through pain this year -- if, and only if, the team guarantees his 2006 salary of $3.94 million.

If Birk chooses instead to undergo yet another surgery to repair chronic abdominal and hip problems, he'll likely miss the entire 2005 season, during which he's scheduled to earn $3.25 million in salary.

We've got a ton of respect for Birk as a player. A sixth-round pick way back in 1998, the Harvard-educated Pro Bowler has done well for himself in the NFL.

But we draw the line with his willingness to tolerate pain for a price. Either he can play, or he can't. It doesn't matter whether he's making $3 million, $30 million, or $300,000. He has a contract and he has an obligation to honor it. To allow his decision on whether to play through pain to rest on whether the team will fork over more money is selfish, and it's wrong.

The Vikes, of course, can only blame themselves for the predicament they now face. By not giving job security to Coach Meathead or the front office staff, the guys who need wins in order to remain employed will continue to be more than generous with Zygi Wilf's money. Just ask Daunte Culpepper, who recently got an "adjustment" to a contract with nine more years remaining on it, and wants even more after the 2005 season.

If we were calling the shots in Minnesota (and everyone in the Twin Cities should be counting their lucky stars that we aren't), we'd cut Birk. Now. Right now. And we'd wish him luck getting $3.25 million this year and/or $3.94 million next year on the open market.

Link

----------------------
    KFFL
    Vikings | Birk Willing to Play For a Guarantee
    Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:33:16 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports Minnesota Viking C Matt Birk (hip) is willing to play through the pain for 2005 with the aid of painkillers, but only if the Vikings grant him guarantees that he will be a part of the organization's plans beyond this year. "The ball is essentially in the Vikings' court now," agent Joe Linta said Wednesday, as his client considered whether to play in 2005 or undergo hip surgery that would likely sideline him for the entire season. "They know what Matt has done for the team and what he is willing to do. But it's time to make a decision. Their people are saying Matt has options. But the option is theirs to make now. It's their call." Linta has proposed the Vikings essentially guarantee Birk's 2006 salary of $3.94 million, perhaps by signing him to a contract extension which includes a signing bonus commensurate to that amount. Birk is currently under contract through 2008, and is due total base salaries of $17.14 million for that period, although that is not guaranteed. About the only element upon which both sides seem to agree is that a decision must come within the next day or two.

Del Rio Guest

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    Birk admits that it was probably his fault for rushing back and then wants us to guarantee him money past this season, if he plays through the pain? I like the whole "play through the pain thing", for the good of the team, but then it becomes a me thing for him. If it truely is his fault he needs surgery again, from rushing back too soon, then why should we now have to guarantee money for 2006, because of what he did?

This should be interesting to see what happens. If he can play this year and still be good after his off-season surgery, to play at least most of 2006, then I would give him the guarantee. But if he can make the situation even worse and possibly end his career, by playing this season, then it would be crazy to give him the money, and I would tell him to have the surgery.
    All I see is a guy who knows that by "playing through the pain," for us again he could hurt himself forever. If he does that sacrifice then he wants to know that he can end his career a Vike. He deserves that IMO if he does play through the pain.

If they wont guarantee he can play then hell he will get the surgery and sit out a year. There would be plenty of teams wanting to sign him even if he sits a year as long as they know he is healed.

I find this proposal pretty admirable.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

I think it would be best to just have him go under the knife right now and keep him on the active roster until he returns, that way we have him for the final 6 games or so and the playoffs. This way his future is not jeopordized and neither is the season. As far as the roster spot is concerned, were not really gaining or losing a roster spot from previous years if tice follows through and picks one kicker. I would like to see birk play all season, but not if he is not going to be the same old matt birk and if it means he will not ever be the same again.

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Rotoworld.com's too-accurate take:

Matt Birk - C - MIN - Aug. 24 - 11:46 pm et

Vikings C Matt Birk will reportedly only play this season through 'excruciating' abdomen pain if the Vikings guarantee his 2006 salary.
    Birk, the leader of Minnesota's O-line, requires hip surgery. He could possibly delay the surgery until after the season. Leveraging health status for pay is a new one. If T.O. or Randy Moss tried this, they would be crucified by every columnist in the country. Aug. 24 - 11:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast