Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Birk is the Vikings' unquestioned leader

"Jeremy" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    All of this sounds eerily similar to last year, except we were talking about Daunte's leadership and Moss' lack thereof. I love Birk, but we are giving him too much credit. He didn't even play last year. Yes it was for understandable reasons, but I don't see how he can be called a leader because he really hasn't done crap yet. He has the potential to be our leader, and he has been a leader before, but a new leader, but there is a whole new cast of players on our team since Birk last played, a new leader could easily emerge.
    Birk is the leader, because he is the veteran on the line. I believe he's been here longer than any other starter on offense.

Just because he was injured, doesn't mean he looses status.
    The doctor cleared him last year to play through his injury. He chose to have surgery and sit out the whole year. Hid did what was best for him not the team.
    LOL.........um no. The doctor in no way shape or form cleared him to play through his injury. In fact they told him he risked permanent damage if he played through it.

The fact that he played through injuries the last 3 years is the reason he was never getting better and his new injuries were a result of the old ones. Even if the doctors cleared him, which they didn't, and he managed to play one half ass season but it prevented him from being healthy enough to play this year how does it help the team?

Fact is by getting healthy he is helping the team way more then he would by playing hurt. Hind sight being 20/20 I'm glad he sat out last year. It would have been a waste for him to hurt himself more just to watch the other team intercept the ball.

Oh and I am waiting for someone to play the race card. Common I know there are at least a handful of you who feel this is a race issue.......jk don't post that shit, just rest assured that someone knows all the stuff you would say.

Jeremy is offline Starter

"Caine" wrote:
    "Jeremy" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    All of this sounds eerily similar to last year, except we were talking about Daunte's leadership and Moss' lack thereof. I love Birk, but we are giving him too much credit. He didn't even play last year. Yes it was for understandable reasons, but I don't see how he can be called a leader because he really hasn't done crap yet. He has the potential to be our leader, and he has been a leader before, but a new leader, but there is a whole new cast of players on our team since Birk last played, a new leader could easily emerge.
    Birk is the leader, because he is the veteran on the line. I believe he's been here longer than any other starter on offense.

The doctor cleared him last year to play through his injury. He chose to have surgery and sit out the whole year. Hid did what was best for him not the team.
    You're entirely wrong there.

Birk gave the team a choice - either guarantee his contract next year (now THIS year) and he'd play with pain-killers all season long (risking his health further), or he'd get surgery, and return next season (now THIS season).

No Doctor said, "Birks ok to play"...they said he COULD play if he was doped up enough, but he would run the risk of further injuring himself.

To say that the offer itself was selfish is...sorry...foolish. How many other players have you EVER seen even offer that type of deal to their team? In 39 years, I've seen ZERO do it before Birk. Most say, "Oooops, gotta get surgery...see ya next season".

The original article annoyed me somewhat - seing all the Moss comments blown out of proportion again (dragged a traffic control agent a half a block?!?!?!? Who writes this crap?) ticked me off. And the 3-second walk off really pushes my button - especially when Favre can do it with 30 seconds left and no one says diddly.

Moss got traded because he called out Red *gargles goats* McCombs for being cheap. That was the Goat-ropers final FU to the Viking fans on his way back to Texas.

Culpepper sank his own ship - regardless of opinions - when he went and hid for the rest of the season. BIRK was in town, working with the team, on the sidelines every game - Daunte was in Florida, crying in his pillow because "nobody loves me". Leader? I think not. Daunte is so self-absorbed it's laughable. His pre-season shenanigans just confirmed for everyone where Daunte's interests lie...in Daunte!!!

Birk has been solid and stable both on and off the field. Plus, he can wear a regular sized hat (i.e. His ego hasn't hyper-inflated his mellon). Right now, he's the Viking I'd most like to meet - just to say, "Thank you" for being who he is. No controversy, no whining, no contract disputes, no love boats, no trade demands. What's not to like?

Caine
    Give me more garunteed money or I won't play. What kind of great offer is that?

The doc cleared him to play hurt. According to the doc he could have played last year and has his surgury this offseason and been just fine. That's what cleared to play means. It was his medical opinion that he could have played through his injury and been fine.

The Vikings don't have an undisputed leader or an identity on offense. Their idenity left with Moss, the undisputed leadership left with Chris Carter and neither have been replaced since.....

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Jeremy" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Jeremy" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

You're entirely wrong there.

Birk gave the team a choice - either guarantee his contract next year (now THIS year) and he'd play with pain-killers all season long (risking his health further), or he'd get surgery, and return next season (now THIS season).

No Doctor said, "Birks ok to play"...they said he COULD play if he was doped up enough, but he would run the risk of further injuring himself.

To say that the offer itself was selfish is...sorry...foolish. How many other players have you EVER seen even offer that type of deal to their team? In 39 years, I've seen ZERO do it before Birk. Most say, "Oooops, gotta get surgery...see ya next season".

The original article annoyed me somewhat - seing all the Moss comments blown out of proportion again (dragged a traffic control agent a half a block?!?!?!? Who writes this crap?) ticked me off. And the 3-second walk off really pushes my button - especially when Favre can do it with 30 seconds left and no one says diddly.

Moss got traded because he called out Red *gargles goats* McCombs for being cheap. That was the Goat-ropers final FU to the Viking fans on his way back to Texas.

Culpepper sank his own ship - regardless of opinions - when he went and hid for the rest of the season. BIRK was in town, working with the team, on the sidelines every game - Daunte was in Florida, crying in his pillow because "nobody loves me". Leader? I think not. Daunte is so self-absorbed it's laughable. His pre-season shenanigans just confirmed for everyone where Daunte's interests lie...in Daunte!!!

Birk has been solid and stable both on and off the field. Plus, he can wear a regular sized hat (i.e. His ego hasn't hyper-inflated his mellon). Right now, he's the Viking I'd most like to meet - just to say, "Thank you" for being who he is. No controversy, no whining, no contract disputes, no love boats, no trade demands. What's not to like?

Caine
    Give me more garunteed money or I won't play. What kind of great offer is that?

The doc cleared him to play hurt. According to the doc he could have played last year and has his surgury this offseason and been just fine. That's what cleared to play means. It was his medical opinion that he could have played through his injury and been fine.

The Vikings don't have an undisputed leader or an identity on offense. Their idenity left with Moss, the undisputed leadership left with Chris Carter and neither have been replaced since.....
    Jeremy I am sorry but you must not have been paying much attention when it happened. Tice wanted him to play, and Birk told the Vikes that he would even tho he was risking much more of a serious injury and could ruin his career. But Birk said he would risk it, if they would guarantee this up coming years salary.

The doctors were telling Birk to have the surgery and that his hip would get worse if he played. Tice wanted him to play because he knew that unless the team did really well he was gone, and Birk was an important part of the team chances.

Birk playing through the hernias the year before is what lead to the 3 other surgeries, and he played most that season with a hernia after having the 1st one repaired and he was barely able to walk.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234