Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Jeremy is offline Starter

Re: Birk is the Vikings' unquestioned leader

"Benet" wrote:
    "DaunteHOF" wrote:
    Why the shot at Daunte for?
    Might be a long shot.. But could it be something to do with the alleged manner in which he forced his way out of Minnesota?
    He wasn't in the plan from the begining. Childress never had anything great to say about Daunte from the get-go. When asked about Culpepper he said ""Daunte Culpepper right now is the franchise quarterback. That's how they signed him. He's the guy. We'll just leave it at that."

Gee, way to make a great first impression. They paid him a lot, therefore I'm stuck with him as a franchise QB.

Culpepper was lied to twice by the orginazation. First he was lied to about being able to get more of his contract up front which was promised to him last year. Second he was lied to about being shopped around this offseason. Who would want to work for a boss that lies to your face.....twice?

I think you have who forced who out of town backwards.

First Moss, now Daunte. WHY? WHY? Life's not fair. :sad: Both shipped out of town for reasons that had nothing to do with playing football.............

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"Jeremy" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:
    "DaunteHOF" wrote:
    Might be a long shot.. But could it be something to do with the alleged manner in which he forced his way out of Minnesota?
    He wasn't in the plan from the begining. Childress never had anything great to say about Daunte from the get-go. When asked about Culpepper he said ""Daunte Culpepper right now is the franchise quarterback. That's how they signed him. He's the guy. We'll just leave it at that."

Gee, way to make a great first impression. They paid him a lot, therefore I'm stuck with him as a franchise QB.

Culpepper was lied to twice by the orginazation. First he was lied to about being able to get more of his contract up front which was promised to him last year. Second he was lied to about being shopped around this offseason. Who would want to work for a boss that lies to your face.....twice?

First Moss, now Daunte. WHY? WHY? Life's not fair. :sad: Both shipped out of town for reasons that had nothing to do with playing football.............

Your right on the money in that statement right there.. They didn't get shipped out of town for playing football, they actually got shipped our for lack thereof. Moss was traded basically because of his attitude. His remark of " I play when I want to play" is not very team oriented. He left the Washinton game early because he had a attitude.

Culpepper gets injured and totally changes his way with the Vikings. He doesn't come to Minny to meet his new head coach. He is here and says he will meet with him, then he leaves and goes to Florida and calls Childress on the phone. Every game you saw Birk on the sideline, where was Pepp? He went about this thing the wrong way. I would bet almost anything that if he complied with the Vikes like a " Franchise QB " should, he would still be wearing purple and gold.. His actions, his attitude, his fault.

Part of the reason why the media has to kiss burks a$$ is he is a hometown kid, when was the last time the local media put down a hometown kid. Man they still talk up kris humphries, and all the other local basketball players playing about 2 min in the nba. I like burk, but why does the fans need to know who the "leader" is in the locker room? I think that assumption of a team leader is overblown in professional sports anyways. By the way, has anyone been to matty b's in st paul?
    You republican whore!

ThaSuperFreak33 is offline Pro-Bowler

Birk will be a monster this year. We need to get a young Center with potnetial in the next few Drafts to learn under Birk so he can be groomed by one of the best.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "Jeremy" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:
    "DaunteHOF" wrote:

Your right on the money in that statement right there.. They didn't get shipped out of town for playing football, they actually got shipped our for lack thereof. Moss was traded basically because of his attitude. His remark of " I play when I want to play" is not very team oriented. He left the Washinton game early because he had a attitude.

Culpepper gets injured and totally changes his way with the Vikings. He doesn't come to Minny to meet his new head coach. He is here and says he will meet with him, then he leaves and goes to Florida and calls Childress on the phone. Every game you saw Birk on the sideline, where was Pepp? He went about this thing the wrong way. I would bet almost anything that if he complied with the Vikes like a " Franchise QB " should, he would still be wearing purple and gold.. His actions, his attitude, his fault.
    All of this sounds eerily similar to last year, except we were talking about Daunte's leadership and Moss' lack thereof. I love Birk, but we are giving him too much credit. He didn't even play last year. Yes it was for understandable reasons, but I don't see how he can be called a leader because he really hasn't done crap yet. He has the potential to be our leader, and he has been a leader before, but a new leader, but there is a whole new cast of players on our team since Birk last played, a new leader could easily emerge.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

All of this sounds eerily similar to last year, except we were talking about Daunte's leadership and Moss' lack thereof. I love Birk, but we are giving him too much credit. He didn't even play last year. Yes it was for understandable reasons, but I don't see how he can be called a leader because he really hasn't done crap yet. He has the potential to be our leader, and he has been a leader before, but a new leader, but there is a whole new cast of players on our team since Birk last played, a new leader could easily emerge.
    Birk is the leader, because he is the veteran on the line. I believe he's been here longer than any other starter on offense.

Just because he was injured, doesn't mean he looses status.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Vrehna" wrote:
    Last year Culpepper had a lot thrown upon his shoulders.

No Moss,
    New Offensive Coordinator,
    No Birk,
    etc.

He was also lead by a coach who just told him to play the game, and had a very hands off method of coaching him. It was all on Dante, and I feel that he buckled under the pressure.

As for Birk being team leader, I find it difficult to call a man who has been on the team but hasn't played the game in nearly 2 years to be your unquestioned leader. He might be the leader off the field, but how can you call him the leader on the field if he hasn't played a game?

Don't get me wrong, I love the man, and pray that we extend his contract before the beginning of this years season. A class act all the way. I used to listen to him a lot on the 93X (half-a$$ed) morning show. He is a great guy, and a great player. Maybe the best center in the game. But before we can call him our unquestioned leader, I want to see him on the field.

Sorry you need to get some facts straight! He has not been out for 2 years, he played in 12 games and started 11 in 2004 and during that season he was playing with a hernia and had surgery during the preseason.

Then in 2005 after having 3 more surgeries he worked with the O-line everyday and was on the sidelines every game!

So ya I see him as a team leader!

Daunte abandoned his teammates! He only came to one game and he was forced to go to that game after the Vikes sent a plane and Reggie Fowler to get him! Is that being a team leader?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Birk is the leader, because he is the veteran on the line. I believe he's been here longer than any other starter on offense.

I'm not saying he has lost any status. He should still have the utmost respect from all of the players. He also has several leadership qualities, which makes him the obvious choice for a leader on this team right now. However, changes in the roster means changes in the overall play style and personality of the team. Different teams respond to different types of leaders. Ray Lewis for example, is an excellent leader in Baltimore, but I do not think that I team like the Colts would respond to that type of leadership as well as the Ravens do. It is not possible to tel yet what kind of leader our team will respond to best. Nor is it possible to see who might arise as a leader, especially on defense.

Lack of leadership hurt the Vikings the last few years. Last year we had little of an identity on offense, and our defense became solid, but had no swagger, no attitude. During the years where we slumped our way out of the playoffs, a true leader might have helped stop the bleeding.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Jeremy is offline Starter

"singersp" wrote:

The doctor cleared him last year to play through his injury. He chose to have surgery and sit out the whole year. Hid did what was best for him not the team.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Jeremy" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

The doctor cleared him last year to play through his injury. He chose to have surgery and sit out the whole year. Hid did what was best for him not the team.
    You're entirely wrong there.

Birk gave the team a choice - either guarantee his contract next year (now THIS year) and he'd play with pain-killers all season long (risking his health further), or he'd get surgery, and return next season (now THIS season).

No Doctor said, "Birks ok to play"...they said he COULD play if he was doped up enough, but he would run the risk of further injuring himself.

To say that the offer itself was selfish is...sorry...foolish. How many other players have you EVER seen even offer that type of deal to their team? In 39 years, I've seen ZERO do it before Birk. Most say, "Oooops, gotta get surgery...see ya next season".

The original article annoyed me somewhat - seing all the Moss comments blown out of proportion again (dragged a traffic control agent a half a block?!?!?!? Who writes this crap?) ticked me off. And the 3-second walk off really pushes my button - especially when Favre can do it with 30 seconds left and no one says diddly.

Moss got traded because he called out Red *gargles goats* McCombs for being cheap. That was the Goat-ropers final FU to the Viking fans on his way back to Texas.

Culpepper sank his own ship - regardless of opinions - when he went and hid for the rest of the season. BIRK was in town, working with the team, on the sidelines every game - Daunte was in Florida, crying in his pillow because "nobody loves me". Leader? I think not. Daunte is so self-absorbed it's laughable. His pre-season shenanigans just confirmed for everyone where Daunte's interests lie...in Daunte!!!

Birk has been solid and stable both on and off the field. Plus, he can wear a regular sized hat (i.e. His ego hasn't hyper-inflated his mellon). Right now, he's the Viking I'd most like to meet - just to say, "Thank you" for being who he is. No controversy, no whining, no contract disputes, no love boats, no trade demands. What's not to like?

Caine

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast