Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Birk is the Vikings' unquestioned leader

I love it!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Birk is a class act. IMO, he is the best center in the NFL. When Birk is healthy, there is not a defensive linemen that can best Birk... He is a leader, he is a smart guy, and he is a great teammate. I strongly believe that Steve Hutchinson is going to be just like Matt Birk. If Culpepper would have had half the smarts as Birk, he would have never of been in that position to begin with.

Oh, and to say that Matt Birk is old is absurd. As Singer pointed out he is 30 yrs old.. How is that old? He still plays with alot of passion, and is still very good at what he does. Birk, and Hutch are going to feed off each other and be the greatest C. and LG in the NFL. This will also make McKinney much better. It's about dam time we have players on this team that think of the team first instead of their ego's. Moss and Pepp were both great players, but if the had the class that Birk has, they would both be untouchable..

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I may just have to get me a Birk jersey this year. I'm excited to see him back on the field this year. He was surely missed last season...

Our O line should truly be something to behold this year..

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

"VikingNed" wrote:
    I may just have to get me a Birk jersey this year. I'm excited to see him back on the field this year. He was surely missed last season...

I agree Ned.. He was surely missed last season. I would rather have it be like it was and have him get 100% healthy versus going through the same problems year after year.. Our line will be something to fear next season, no doubt about that..

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingNed" wrote:

I've been trying to get an authentic Birk for a few years now. Without paying full price, there hard to find.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Birk is a class act. IMO, he is the best center in the NFL. When Birk is healthy, there is not a defensive linemen that can best Birk... He is a leader, he is a smart guy, and he is a great teammate. I strongly believe that Steve Hutchinson is going to be just like Matt Birk. If Culpepper would have had half the smarts as Birk, he would have never of been in that position to begin with.

Oh, and to say that Matt Birk is old is absurd. As Singer pointed out he is 30 yrs old.. How is that old? He still plays with alot of passion, and is still very good at what he does. Birk, and Hutch are going to feed off each other and be the greatest C. and LG in the NFL. This will also make McKinney much better. It's about dam time we have players on this team that think of the team first instead of their ego's. Moss and Pepp were both great players, but if the had the class that Birk has, they would both be untouchable..
    Why the shot at Daunte for?
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"DaunteHOF" wrote:
    Might be a long shot.. But could it be something to do with the alleged manner in which he forced his way out of Minnesota?

"Benet" wrote:
    "DaunteHOF" wrote:
    Might be a long shot.. But could it be something to do with the alleged manner in which he forced his way out of Minnesota?

Exactly, thanks Benet.. Culpepper brought everything upon himself. He was never a team leader, and IMO, none of his teammates looked at him that way(except a few). He didn't have respect as a leader should when he was on that field. Besides, it wasn't really a shot at Culpepper as much as it was praising Matt Birk.. If you can see clearly, I said if Culpepper would have the smarts as Birk, he would have never of gotten himself in that position to begin with. Meaning, if he was smart, he would have stayed away from that boat, and this wouldn't be happening to him.. You sure don't hear Matt Birk's name being associated with that boat incident..

Vrehna is offline Rookie

Last year Culpepper had a lot thrown upon his shoulders.

No Moss,
    New Offensive Coordinator,
    No Birk,
    etc.

He was also lead by a coach who just told him to play the game, and had a very hands off method of coaching him. It was all on Dante, and I feel that he buckled under the pressure.

As for Birk being team leader, I find it difficult to call a man who has been on the team but hasn't played the game in nearly 2 years to be your unquestioned leader. He might be the leader off the field, but how can you call him the leader on the field if he hasn't played a game?

Don't get me wrong, I love the man, and pray that we extend his contract before the beginning of this years season. A class act all the way. I used to listen to him a lot on the 93X (half-a$$ed) morning show. He is a great guy, and a great player. Maybe the best center in the game. But before we can call him our unquestioned leader, I want to see him on the field.

Deronn is offline Starter

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:
    "DaunteHOF" wrote:

Exactly, thanks Benet.. Culpepper brought everything upon himself. He was never a team leader, and IMO, none of his teammates looked at him that way(except a few). He didn't have respect as a leader should when he was on that field. Besides, it wasn't really a shot at Culpepper as much as it was praising Matt Birk.. If you can see clearly, I said if Culpepper would have the smarts as Birk, he would have never of gotten himself in that position to begin with. Meaning, if he was smart, he would have stayed away from that boat, and this wouldn't be happening to him.. You sure don't hear Matt Birk's name being associated with that boat incident..
    Man, I hate it when someone takes the time to put together a well thought out post that covers all the bases, and "wrapping up" the whole thread into a nice, neat package and leaving me with nothing to add! I agree 100% Good post!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast