Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Birk is the Vikings' unquestioned leader

[size=18px]Birk is the Vikings' unquestioned leader[/size]

By Eric Krupka; 03/24/06
    Real Football 365

In the past two offseasons the Minnesota Vikings have traded All Pro wide receiver Randy Moss to the Oakland Raiders and all pro quarterback Daunte Culpepper to the Miami Dolphins. With their two premiere players both gone head coach Brad Childress is looking for someone to step up and be a leader.

Now let me not get ahead of myself. Nobody will ever confuse Randy Moss as a "team" first guy, and I am not here to say that he was big on being leader. Let’s face it. Although Moss seems to have a big mouth with the media he was never very vocal in the locker room. Not all leaders are vocal leaders. Some lead by example. Moss did put up tremendous numbers, yet he still didn't lead by example. The numerous off-the-field issues including his arrest in 2003 for allegedly pulling a traffic agent half a block with his car, and his on the field issues where he has been quoted as saying "I play when I want to," and his infamous early exit from a game against the Washington Redskins shows that he was not the leader of the Vikings.

So maybe the leader was supposed to be Culpepper, and it is conceivable that he was just that. After all the Moss trade to Oakland was facilitated in part to keep Moss from undermining Culpepper and show Culpepper that it was his team to lead. Actually, most NFL teams want their quarterback to be the leader. Unfortunately not every quarterback possesses the traits or earns the confidence of his teammates necessary to land that role.

This past season Culpepper was also involved in the "love boat" scandal in which he and three other players were charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct, and lewd or lascivious conduct for their actions on a boat on Lake Minnetonka during the team’s bye week. Culpepper has recently said that he was busy shooting dice and did not get a dance, therefore he is innocent. Innocent or guilty, it does not matter, a team leader should lead by example on and off the field and being on the boat putting himself in a bad position is from exemplary behavior.

This brings me to the unquestionable leader of the Minnesota Vikings, All Pro center Matt Birk. The Harvard graduate is a standup guy and always conducts himself with class. Birk is arguably the best center in the game. He has also demonstrated numerous leadership qualities. Most notably, he confronted Randy Moss about walking off the field against the Redskins and when he performed his infamous touchdown celebration at Lambeau Field in the wild card round of the playoffs in 2004. Birk has never backed down from anyone, opponent or teammate, and has never unfairly criticized anyone. He plays the game with maximum effort on every play and expects the same from his teammates.

When the signing of guard Steve Hutchinson became official a reporter asked Birk about the contract and how he felt making significantly less money.

Birk responded by saying, "Don't start that stuff. I am overpaid as it is. Steve Hutchinson, in my opinion, is worth that money."

Birk's response not only shows his class, but his team first attitude. It's always refreshing to see a professional athlete not let the money and fame go to their head. The center is the leader of the offensive line and Birk should help solidify a line that should be vastly improved with his return and the addition of Hutchinson.

Birk is the Vikings' unquestioned leader

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Birk is the Vikings' unquestioned leader

ooooommmmgggggg

don't tell me that the media is actually saying something intelligent and thought out and does nothing to provoke controversy involving the vikings..

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

ancoin is offline Starter

OMG!! He is a LEADER! just sad he is old :cry:

Thank to Lotza

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"ancoin" wrote:
    Matt is 30.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ancoin is offline Starter

"singersp" wrote:
    "ancoin" wrote:
    Matt is 30.
    Nice he has maybe even 5 years back

Thank to Lotza

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Birk is the man but we should draft a center in the late round incase birk is injured again.
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

I said it before, I'll say it again.

ESLINGER!

Granted I wouldn't wanna wait 5 years for him, could he transition across the line?

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Prophet Guest

Good article stating the obvious based on Birk's comments yesterday. Birk hasn't let the NFL glory get too far into his skull yet, realizing that he is getting paid millions to play a game.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Vikings | Birk doing well
    Fri, 24 Mar 2006 22:10:17 -0800

Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings OC Matt Birk (hip, hernia), who missed all of last season after hip surgery, is taking part in all of the drills in the Vikings spring program and said he is 100 percent and could play in a game tomorrow if needed.

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

He is the best center in the NFL and has the most class, I hope he is a viking for life

Thanks PurpleMafia

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast