Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Birk smartest player in NFL?

Well Yeah IVY League education...having not attended college..If I had the grades, and the dough I would probably enroll into.
    Birk I would say is intelligent and beyond making all the adjustments on the line.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Garland" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "PackSux!" wrote:
    Well Birk did go to Harvard.
    I honestly don't think it's that hard to graduate from Harvard.
    The hardest thing is probably getting in, and more importantly...paying for it.
    Do they give scholarships for football at Harvard?
    Even if he got student loans pretty sure they are more than payed off.
    I believe they do.
    It is Div-IAA.

And, from my experience, the Canucklehead is spot on - hard to get in, hard not to graduate.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

litlharsh is offline Coordinator

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Carter: Birk the smartest[/size]

by Judd Zulgad

ESPN analyst Cris Carter said on Thursday’s “SportsCenter” that he believes Vikings center Matt Birk is the smartest offensive player in the NFL.
    He also said that Ray "The Killer" Lewis was the smartest defensive player.

=Z=
    Just in case you really believe this Zeus (though I hope dearly you're just being facetious) Lewis didn't ever kill anyone. He wasn't even a suspect until the DA labeled him one to put pressure on him to talk about what he knew.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"PackSux!" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "PackSux!" wrote:
    What are you a Yale man?
    No, but university is university.
    The subject matter is the same reardless of the university you attend, it more about the quality of profs people go to Ivy league school.
    You go to med school at one university you learn the same things that you'd learn at Harvard.
    That is not true at all.
    Some things are not in the books.
    And those are the things you learn in real life, in your interaction with patients, with experience in your field.
    As far as I know all medical schools require clerkship before graduation as well as experience with standardized patients etc.
    You all graduate with the same degree because you're all equally qualified if you graduate.
    Obviously there are people who take more out of school than others but that happens at every university.
    Ivy league schools just justify their exhorbitant tuition prices by claiming some sort of superiority.
    In the end you're smart because of the effort you put in to learning, not based on what school you attend.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Ivy league schools just justify their exhorbitant tuition prices by claiming some sort of superiority.
    In the end you're smart because of the effort you put in to learning, not based on what school you attend.
    Its about the quality of teachers not how smart the students are.
    The big important universities get most of the research grant money, (hundreds of millions per year).
    Because of that they are able to attract the top people as teachers and the top students to study under them.
    In general, as a result,
    the level of education is better and the curriculum is more cutting edge and relevant, since much of the new knowledge is coming from their departments.
    There are exceptions but in general the level of education is higher.

WWBGD

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "PackSux!" wrote:
    I believe they do.
    It is Div-IAA.

And, from my experience, the Canucklehead is spot on - hard to get in, hard not to graduate.

=Z=
    Harvard does not give sports scholarships.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"V" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "PackSux!" wrote:
    I believe they do.
    It is Div-IAA.

=Z=

you are correct V, ivy league schools do not give away sports scholarships, however they do give academic scholarships to outstanding student athletes, and thats how they attract good athletes that have the exceptional grades to go to their schools..i have a friend that recently played hockey at yale, and his scholarship was labeled academic..he could have played at a number of different schools, but since hes ridiculously smart when it comes to school, he chose to go the ivy league route
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "PackSux!" wrote:
    I believe they do.
    It is Div-IAA.

Thanks for the correction, V.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

2beersTommy is online now Team Alumni

"olson_10" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    [quote author=PackSux! link=topic=46227.msg802057#msg802057 date=1215804896]
    I believe they do.
    It is Div-IAA.

=Z=

you are correct V, ivy league schools do not give away sports scholarships, however they do give academic scholarships to outstanding student athletes, and thats how they attract good athletes that have the exceptional grades to go to their schools..i have a friend that recently played hockey at yale, and his scholarship was labeled academic..he could have played at a number of different schools, but since hes ridiculously smart when it comes to school, he chose to go the ivy league route
    [/quote]
    exactly..if they want somebody bad enough..they'll find a way to get him in..I know of several area wrestlers, that are at Cornell, and i seriously doubt their HS grades were good enought to get them in.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"2beersTommy" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    [quote author=ItalianStallion link=topic=46227.msg802094#msg802094 date=1215809994]
    [quote author=PackSux! link=topic=46227.msg802057#msg802057 date=1215804896]
    I believe they do.
    It is Div-IAA.

=Z=

[/quote]
    exactly..if they want somebody bad enough..they'll find a way to get him in..I know of several area wrestlers, that are at Cornell, and i seriously doubt their HS grades were good enought to get them in.
    [/quote]

Let's be clear about this. In no way is an academic scholarship equal to a sports scholarship. For example, I have a good friend who rowed crew at Harvard. Very smart and would have gotten in anyways. After Sophmore year, he chose to quit the team and pursue other extracurricular ctivities. His scholarship still remained, because academic scholarships do not require you to play the sport. If he was on a sports scholarship, quitting the team would have negated it and he would have had to transfer.

As someone who got familiar with the process, both in high school and applying to colleges, I can assure you that athletes who get academic scholarships are not bums. Ivy League schools tend to treat "Varsity Captain - 3 years" very similarly to "excellent flute player." It is a great accomplishment and therefore looks great on applications, but is not the end all be all, like most public school programs.

Students who go to ivy league programs for sports usually treat as a second interest, and almost always playing purely for love of the game. They are also capable of landing amazing jobs unrelated to the sport they played.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast