Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Birk skipping offseason program

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    Not a huge surprise given his age and tenure with the team.
    It is interesting that the Vikes have not offered him a contract extension yet.
    Perhaps we are looking at drafting a center high this year to replace Birk in 2009.
    Personally I would not have a problem with this.
    Birk is a high-dollar center that may be overrated, especially based on his lackluster season last year.
    I know he made the Pro Bowl, but he was a shadow of his former self last season IMO.
    Very true, but he is a huge fanfavorite of the MN Fans, and i don't think people could see him playing anywhere else
    he is a hometown boy too, isn't he?
    i would hate to see him go.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"Schutz" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    I know that Birk is a fan favorite and what not but he has not played like he once did. After his injuries things have never been the same for Birk. Last year Antoine Winfield skipped off-season work and I felt it slowed him the first 4 weeks of the season, Strahan the same. I felt Birk looked out of shape at times(See Redsins game), he blew plenty of assignments just letting LB's right up the gut. How he made the Pro Bowl is beyong me but he did play good at times, himself and Tarvaris rarely have miscomunication on the snap. Bottom line he needs to be in camp.

I'm exited to see what we will be doin to help out the offsive line in the draft. I thought Center would be a target this year but now that Birk wants a new contract its evident.

There could be major changes in the offensive line at LT and Center quite soon.

Only if we bring in an established vet.
    Having a rookie or Cook under center is out of the question.
    Resign Birk to a 2 year deal and draft a young guy we like and bring him up under Birk, instead of replacing a guy who's been here almost a decade with someone people would see as "the guy who replaced Birk".

Birk's quote unquote downside of his career in the coming years is alot better than anybody else in the league, he may be slowing down physically but like a wiley old vet he's still smarter than the rest.
    I'm quite sure Birk wants more than a 2 year contract.

I say draft a Center this year and let Birk go as a FA next year.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I think everyone forgot Ryan Cook is a Center that was drafted to possibly be his replacement.
    Birk has been a great player and role model.
    His leadership would be missed if he left next year.
    However, truth be told he really hasn't been his best the last 2 years.
    Sure he made the probowl but a lot of times that happens becasue of your name.
    The last couple of years he has had his share of penalties and missed blocks.
    Sorry but it's true.
    I like birk but if he left next year via free agency I wouldn't be surprised or devistated.

That being said I hope Ryan Cook or whoever takes his place can live up to Birk's legacy.
    If he stays I wouldn't be angry either.
    His leadership alone is worth signing him but a long term contract would be a mistake IMO.
    He's had hip problems which doesn't fare well for lineman.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Wow.
    This could potentially be really bad news.
    I guess its not as bad as McKinnie, but it does change our view of the draft a bit.
    I was already thinking he wasn't what he used to be, and that we needed to draft an eventual replacement...but now it seems sooner (and with an earlier pick) than later.

Cook has enough problems with RT...I'm not sure we should move him at this point, when he is just starting to get it.
    D'oh!!
    Just when everything was looking to come together!
    If we have to play games this season without McKinnie and Birk we'll be sorry
    :'(
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Why does everyone think Cook is moving back to center. I think not especailly if he continues to play better at RT. He's 6 foot 6 330 pounds, he's got a Tackles body and i truely believe he was drafted to play Tackle.

He has spent very little time playing Center for the Vikings, they moved him quickly to Tackle where he is progressing. I see us drafting a Center this year and using Cook at center only when injuries occur.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Why does everyone think Cook is moving back to center. I think not especailly if he continues to play better at LT. He's 6 foot 6 330 pounds, he's got a Tackles body and i truely believe he was drafted to play Tackle.

He has spent very little time playing Center for the Vikings, they moved him quickly to Tackle where he is progressing. I see us drafting a Center this year and using Cook at center only when injuries occur.

Only if Cook is a back up, no way we start him at tackle and then move our starting right tackle to center so we can put a different guy there as well.

"Schutz" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    Why does everyone think Cook is moving back to center. I think not especailly if he continues to play better at LT. He's 6 foot 6 330 pounds, he's got a Tackles body and i truely believe he was drafted to play Tackle.

Only if Cook is a back up, no way we start him at tackle and then move our starting right tackle to center so we can put a different guy there as well.
    Yeah i doubt it too, injuries is the only way I see him spending anytime at center. Basically an emergancy situation.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"marstc09" wrote:
    He is getting old and probably deserves to take a break. I think they will look to the draft this year to find a replacement. Look for us to draft mutiple times for OL.
    A little late for that. That should have been addressed two years ago.

In a system such as ours that is difficult to learn & has been said it takes 5 years to master (Look at how long it's taking the veterans) we should have already been taking care of business.

If he sits out or calls it quits, kiss the season goodbye. We'll be relying on Marrdro's boy Mozes to run the line. A kid who has yet to take a snap in the NFL during a regular season game.

Rookie mistakes will get made & Jackson will be on his ass a lot.

Of course at that point, the majority of the Jackson haters will be blaming him instead of the new kid on the block. Missed assignments would also mean no holes for AD either.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Rut-Roh!

McKinnie in a legal bind, Birk getting pissy about his contract.. 2/5th's of the starting Oline having issues.. good that evens out the lack of consistent players at guard for the Packers.. not good news folk.. not good news at all.

"singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    He is getting old and probably deserves to take a break. I think they will look to the draft this year to find a replacement. Look for us to draft mutiple times for OL.
    A little late for that. That should have been addressed two years ago.

In a system such as ours that is difficult to learn & has been said it takes 5 years to master (Look at how long it's taking the veterans) we should have already been taking care of business.

If he sits out or calls it quits, kiss the season goodbye. We'll be relying on Marrdro's boy Mozes to run the line. A kid who has yet to take a snap in the NFL during a regular season game.

Rookie mistakes will get made & Jackson will be on his jiggly butt a lot.

Of course at that point, the majority of the Jackson haters will be blaming him instead of the new kid on the block. Missed assignments would also mean no holes for AD either.
    Relax Singer the draft hasn't even got here. Our veiw of the offensive line could drasticly change. Birks not quitting and a Rookie shouldn't be starting next year. Even if we did have a rookie its not like Birk has been anything specail, he's had his far share of mental mistakes while allowing to pocket to collapse.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast