Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Birk pins much of the blame on Upshaw for labor standoff

"Vikes" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Vikes" wrote:
    BTW Birk does call the newspapers to talk. Who called the Papers to discuss the state of the Vikings last year Birk.

I'm sorry Captian Birk America does not do it for me.

I know you guys are very senstive to attacks on Birk. But if you put yourself in the public eye you need to understand not everyone is going to agree with you. Sorry Birk you were wrong to air the dirty laundry.
    So is this a complaint about Birk talking about the union, or are you still complaining about him last year discussing the Vikings? Either way, why was he wrong to air the dirty laundry as you put it? Would you rather any problems with the NFLPA be quietly swept under the rug? How about just censoring every player, or making sure that all of their press statements are NFLPA approved first?

You have every right to disagree with his opinion of the NFLPA. But to say he was wrong to express his opinion is a little totalitarian for me.

On a brighter note, I am impressed that you called the NFLPA and got the info. I did not know that you could decline membership. And I am sure the rep was a pretty cool guy - it would be a pretty poor union if they put people on the phones that weren't... especially given the current state of the labor talks. I am sure they are fielding calls from fans and media ll day long. Neither Birk's comments or this thread in general are anti_NFLPA. Birk, and many of the posters here feel that the leadership is not looking out for the players anymore, and are more interested in the almighty dollar than what is best for the league as a whole.
    Thanks I was curious about that answer to the question myself.

I agree with a MAN or WOMEN saying whats on their mind.

My point all along was NOT to piss off the Matt Birk walks on water fans.

My point was there is A LOT of money on the line and to think this would be settled in a matter of days and not weeks was naive on Birk's part. I understand he is frustrated and who would not be. This is your career we are talking about here. Your source of feeding your family and taking care of the ones you love.

But to think something with this much dollar impact would be over in a matter of days is foolish.

Remember these owners are RICH they are not stupid people. They are skilled in the art of big contract negotiation. How do you think cities end up in situations were they are paying money to these people. Look at the pre-Katrina New Orleans Saints.

Actually we have seen enough of these threads about Birk, we know exactly what your point is! You and about every other Moss disciple has been doing the same thing for over a year now, you and them blame Birk for Moss being traded! Anytime Birk is in the paper we get 2 or 3 threads about how bad he is, and what an ass he is! This is nothing new we have seen about 20 of these threads and they all come down to the same thing, that the Moss disciples blame Birk for Moss being traded!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Once again! If you go back and read ANY of my post on this board you will see I have never once drank the Moss Kool-aid.

I've always said the trade for Moss was about us managing the salary cap. Using Red McComb as the scapegoat.

I've always said Moss cheated himself out of Millions and cheated his career with his attitude.

I've respected his talent but Moss himself has not respected his talent. He will probaly leave the game of football knowing he cheated himself.

But if you got proof or see me in a different light, back it up with a link for me to reread. If I'm wrong I will be the first to admit my mistake.

But I will admit I do miss Moss being on the Vikings for Madden football hehe.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

It's over way to get it done Upshaw good job.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Del Rio Guest

Yeah way to go Upshaw

LMFAO!

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

"Vikes" wrote:
    Once again! If you go back and read ANY of my post on this board you will see I have never once drank the Moss Kool-aid.

I've always said the trade for Moss was about us managing the salary cap. Using Red McComb as the scapegoat.

I've always said Moss cheated himself out of Millions and cheated his career with his attitude.

I've respected his talent but Moss himself has not respected his talent. He will probably leave the game of football knowing he cheated himself.

But if you got proof or see me in a different light, back it up with a link for me to reread. If I'm wrong I will be the first to admit my mistake.

But I will admit I do miss Moss being on the Vikings for Madden football hehe.
    BRAVO! Excellent post! No, a fan doesn't have to be a MOSS Disciple to disagree with Matt Birk. Not at all!

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

BigMoInAZ where in AZ do you live?

"singersp" wrote:
    Mods, go ahead & move this article if you see fit. I wasn't sure if it belonged in the Vikings forum , general NFL discussion or the Upshaw thread.

It was quite the toss up.

[size=18px]Birk pins much of the blame on Upshaw for labor standoff[/size]

The Vikings center did not play last year, but he sure delivered a Pro Bowl-sized verbal pancake on the executive director of the NFL Players' Association when no CBA deal was reached on Thursday.

On The Nfl Mark Craig
    Last update: March 02, 2006 – 11:46 PM

Vikings center Matt Birk isn't a big fan of the players union in general and of Gene Upshaw, its executive director, in particular.
    "Don't put this in the paper ... no, wait, go ahead and put it in," Birk said. "Gene Upshaw is a piece of" well, you know.

Birk spoke as the union and the NFL were about to go Tony Soprano on the goose that lays the kind of golden eggs other sports can only dream about.

Fortunately, both sides blinked. Seven hours before what would have been the beginning of the end of the NFL's salary cap, it was mutually agreed that three more days are required for someone -- anyone! -- to come to his senses and extend the collective bargaining agreement. So free agency will start on Monday, not today.

"It's a joke, it really is," Birk said. "Everyone is making money. A lot of money. You think anyone wants to hear about the money problems of the NFL owners or players? It's bad pub for the league. It's bad for all of us."

Birk was the Vikings' union rep until he couldn't stomach Upshaw's "propaganda and poor leadership" any longer. He has fought Upshaw on other fronts over the years, speaking out against the inordinate distribution of money to unproven rookies and Upshaw's refusal to fight for guaranteed contracts that players in other sports enjoy.

"Someone asked him about me when I was going through my deal last summer trying to get my contract guaranteed," Birk said. "He said he played with a lot of great centers in his time and none of them made $4 million. That's our union rep? C'mon."

Birk doesn't place all of the blame for the CBA mess at Upshaw's feet. But he does blame him for not being forthright while explaining what it would mean to the players not to have a salary cap in 2007.

"When you go to those CBA meetings, you always feel like you're being sold something instead of being given the straight facts," Birk said. "Through all the meetings leading up to this, it was always: 'The owners don't want an uncapped year. We'll get a deal, and if we don't, so what? There will be an uncapped year and there will be crazy money out there.'

"The reality is that's not the case. And you're seeing that it's not the leverage we were told it would be."

While the lack of a salary cap would encourage the richer teams to overspend on certain players, there also would be rules in place that would be unfavorable to players.

Players would become unrestricted free agents after six seasons, not four. Raises would be capped at 30 percent above the previous season. And there would be no minimum salary cap, whereas now it's 54 percent of the defined gross revenue.

"And we'll lose some of our 401(k) and annuities, and some benefits, too," Birk said. "That's a huge deal to the younger guys making the minimum who might not have 10-year careers. Those are guys the union needs to look out for.

"Instead, you go there and it's like some kind of religious revival. You don't feel you're getting the true message. And they're always talking too fast."

Birk wishes the actual players had more power and say in how the union operates.

"Too many guys in the league just accept whatever Gene says," Birk said. "I don't know why no one has called this guy out."

It's hard to believe we're discussing labor unrest when the NFL generates $5.2 billion a year and signed the largest TV deal in sports history. The league gets $3.7 BILLION in TV money this year alone.

"Gene thinks we're making all this money because of Gene Upshaw," Birk said. "No, we're making all of this money because of TV. This sport is huge, and what's going on right now is hurting all of us."

Birk pins much of the blame on Upshaw for labor standoff
    you don't have to remind the mods to do anything....they're pretty dang quick about pulling the trigger on moving or locking any post. as far as upshaw is concerned...he's just greedy like most other people in professional sports.
    "We are Lions!!" - Achilles (from the movie Troy )

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910