Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Birk getting bigger!

"Vikestand" wrote:
    NOT DOUBTING HIS STRENGTH....BUT WHEN YOU WEIGH 324LBS, YOU WOULD THINK HE WOULD BE ABLE TO DO 350LBS FOR HIS 10 SET REPS....

Along way to training camp maybe he will be doing it 25 times by the time training camp roles around.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Del" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Reportedly Birk was 308lbs when he started working with Morris and is now at 324lbs and in better physical condition and he reportedly benched pressed 350lbs 6 times.
    Remembering of course that we run the ZB scheme with our OL, I would rather have heard something along the lines of.......

....is now at 324lbs and has retained or improved his quickness.

Often times when players bulk up in weight they loose speed.
    Probably not a good thing if that in fact has happended.
    :
    Watching film of last year it is clear zone blocking is present but very much a minor part of our scheme. There was much more man up blocking done all season.

I said last year and I will say again every team zone blocks. Only a few teams hang their hat on it and we are not one of those teams.
    It appeared to me, the right side of the line had a lot more trouble with their man up blocking than their zone blocking last year.
    They seemed a little better when they were om the move.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I was pretty proud of all this crap I put together
    ;D

Anyway, key is the speed my friends.
    ;D

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php...&topic=32984.0

The zone blocking scheme requires a different type of lineman to execute this system. Size and strength are secondary, while athleticism and awareness are paramount. A zone blocking lineman must be able to move expeditiously to the next level and engage lineman, instead of being engaged. Football knowledge and awareness are important in order to know where to go, and who to engage.
    Matt Birk, C, 6-4, 309 lbs,
    4.18 short shuttle and 7.22 three-cone drill
    Ryan Cook, C, 6-6, 328 lbs, 4.44 short shuttle and 7.26 three-cone drill
    Cullen Loeffler, C, 6-5, 241 lbs, 4.66 short shuttle and a 7.77 three-cone drill
    Marcus Johnson, OT, 6-6, 321 lbs, 4.22 short shuttle and a 6.93 three-cone drill
    Bryant McKinnie, OT, 6-8, 335 lbs, 4.40 short shuttle and a 7.35 seconds three-cone drill
    Anthony Herrera, OG, 6-2, 315 lbs, Because he had a bad ankle he didn’t run in the SS or 3 Cone. His his 40 times were 5.31 and 5.38 and 0-yard dash in 1.87.
    Artis Hicks, OG, 6-4, 335
    lbs, 4.31 short shuttle and 7.28 three-cone drill
    Steve Hutchinson, OG, 6-5, 313 lbs.
    Couldn’t find any times on him.

I looked but couldn’t find anything that said what defined a good short shuttle and three-cone drill time so I decided to take a look at the OL stats for the team that is so closely associated with the Zone-blocking scheme.

According to ESPN here is what the Bronco’s have. (Used same link)

Denver Broncos
    Nalen, C, 6-3, a 4.22 short shuttle and a 6.93 three-cone drill.
    Myers, C,
    6-4, 300 lbs 4.38 in the short shuttle, a 7.38 in the cone drill
    Meadows, OT, 6-5, 290 lbs, a 4.33 in the short shuttle and a 7.48 in the three-cone drill.
    Pears, OT,
    6-8, 305 lbs, 4.39 short shuttle and 7.61 three-cone drill
    Foster, OT, 6-5, 338 lbs, a 4.53 short shuttle, 7.47 three-cone drill
    Carlisle, OG, 6-5, 295 lbs, Couldn’t find a short shuttle time but he did the three-cone drill in 7.34 seconds
    Hamilton, OG, 6-4, 283 lbs, Couldn’t find any times.
    Kuper, OG, 6-4, 302 lbs, a 4.44 short shuttle and 7.26 three-cone drill

Probably not an exact science but our guys in almost all cases are bigger (poundage) and faster in their times.
    So technically our guys fit the mold, with the exception of weighing more than "Normal", to run the zone blocking scheme even though they are a bit heavier because of their speed/athleticism.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    ;D

;D

Cullen Loeffler, C, [size=10pt]6-5, 241 lbs[/size],4.66 short shuttle and a 7.77 three-cone drill
    Marcus Johnson, OT, 6-6, 321 lbs, 4.22 short shuttle and a 6.93 three-cone drill
    Bryant McKinnie, OT, 6-8, 335 lbs, 4.40 short shuttle and a 7.35 seconds three-cone drill
    Is that for real Marrdro?

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

"Marrdro" wrote:
    ;D

;D

The zone blocking scheme requires a different type of lineman to execute this system. Size and strength are secondary, while athleticism and awareness are paramount. A zone blocking lineman must be able to move expeditiously to the next level and engage lineman, instead of being engaged. Football knowledge and awareness are important in order to know where to go, and who to engage.
    Cullen Loeffler, C, 6-5, 241 lbs, 4.66 short shuttle and a 7.77 three-cone drill
    Anthony Herrera, OG, 6-2, 315 lbs, Because he had a bad ankle he didn’t run in the SS or 3 Cone. His his 40 times were 5.31 and 5.38 and 0-yard dash in 1.87.
    Artis Hicks, OG, 6-4, 335
    lbs, 4.31 short shuttle and 7.28 three-cone drill
    Steve Hutchinson, OG, 6-5, 313 lbs.
    Couldn’t find any times on him.

I looked but couldn’t find anything that said what defined a good short shuttle and three-cone drill time so I decided to take a look at the OL stats for the team that is so closely associated with the Zone-blocking scheme.

According to ESPN here is what the Bronco’s have. (Used same link)

Denver Broncos
    Nalen, C, 6-3, a 4.22 short shuttle and a 6.93 three-cone drill.
    Myers, C,
    6-4, 300 lbs 4.38 in the short shuttle, a 7.38 in the cone drill
    Meadows, OT, 6-5, 290 lbs, a 4.33 in the short shuttle and a 7.48 in the three-cone drill.
    Pears, OT,
    6-8, 305 lbs, 4.39 short shuttle and 7.61 three-cone drill
    Foster, OT, 6-5, 338 lbs, a 4.53 short shuttle, 7.47 three-cone drill
    Carlisle, OG, 6-5, 295 lbs, Couldn’t find a short shuttle time but he did the three-cone drill in 7.34 seconds
    Hamilton, OG, 6-4, 283 lbs, Couldn’t find any times.
    Kuper, OG, 6-4, 302 lbs, a 4.44 short shuttle and 7.26 three-cone drill

Probably not an exact science but our guys in almost all cases are bigger (poundage) and faster in their times.
    So technically our guys fit the mold, with the exception of weighing more than "Normal", to run the zone blocking scheme even though they are a bit heavier because of their speed/athleticism.
    I remember that post well. It was one the best ever. Made you a ppo star!
    ;D

Well,in my eyes anyway.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Cullen Loeffler is really 6-5, 241.
    Check out his player page.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Well,in my eyes anyway.
    Thanks my purple friend.
    Actually all I really did is cut and paste info I researched and applied it to our team.

The guys that wrote the stuff are the smart ones.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:

Well,in my eyes anyway.
    Thanks my purple friend.
    Actually all I really did is cut and paste info I researched and applied it to our team.

The guys that wrote the stuff are the smart ones.

I was impressed with the way you used the info. to show our big guys had the speed to be successful in the zone blocking scheme.

I saw Birk get pushed around a little last year. I think the bulk and strength will make him better against the interior defensive linemen.
    Even if he is a little slower, I think the trade off will be positive.
    Dilfer

Vikestand is offline Coordinator

Settle down folks I had my caps on for drafting reasons....I was just stating a innocent question...I mean I can bench 225 ten times and I weigh 200(3 sets)...I figured that weighing that much and only being able to bench 25+ his weight 6 times..errr nevermind....

By Pack93z

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the other with no loss of enthusiasm"-Sir Winston Churchill

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

"Vikestand" wrote:
    Settle down folks I had my caps on for drafting reasons....I was just stating a innocent question...I mean I can bench 225 ten times and I weigh 200(3 sets)...I figured that weighing that much and only being able to bench 25+ his weight 6 times..errr nevermind....
    Well he is a center. They have a guys hand on their balls all day and like it so we cant be too surprised.......lol
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast