Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 22 of 22
  1. #21
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Birk is finalist for NFL award

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=UffDaVikes link=topic=50219.msg898046#msg898046 date=1232112241]
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=50219.msg898036#msg898036 date=1232109172]
    [quote author=UffDaVikes link=topic=50219.msg897959#msg897959 date=1232063806]
    What the hell is all of this jibberish about him getting the line calls wrong? There has never been one shred of evidence supporting that claim. It just happens to fall under the category of "If someone says it often enough it becomes fact"

    Birk is a home town guy, A great asset to the team and the community and has been a key part of the line for a decade.

    You may not like him personally but there is no reason to believe he is making the wrong line calls.
    Marr tends to blame Birk for allowing a blitzer that is supposed to be picked up by a RB **cough AD cough** isn't picked up.
    It's not just Marr. I understand with him it is personal so I factor that in. But there are others on that bandwagon.
    Personal?
    How in the hell is it personal?
    Do you honestly believe he had a good year this year or last year?

    The bench mark for most people (I am not one of them) is a pro-bowl nod.
    Last year most of the talking heads said he didn't deserve it and this year he wasn't even mentioned.

    Comeon.
    If there is one thing I am constant on with respect to my posts/critiques is that I have no favorites or guys I don't like.
    They are just players on a team that I love and all of them, regardless of were they were born and raised, or what college they played on will come and go long before I quit supporting this team.

    (One caveat:
    EX PUKER Players......Can't stand em)

    ;D
    I think he had an average year as a Center. Not Pro Bowl caliber but not at the bottom of the league either.
    It is when you blast him and want him replaced while in the same post stating that Cook did fine and should be kept in his position that you lose me. There is no way that Cook played anywhere near as good as Birk did this year and yet you would keep him while kicking Birk to the curb.
    Apples and oranges.....And I have been consistent in this area as well.....

    Apples (New guys thrown to the wolves by the coaching staff learning in front of our eyes against NFL caliber players)
    Cook has his issues.
    I readily admit that.
    He is also improving and I have articulated why I believe he is improving over and over.
    I kindof lump the new guys (Griff/Chad/Cook/AD etc) in the same boat. They are gonna make mistakes. Part of the process of learning under fire so to speak.


    Oranges (Older guys not playing at the NFL level anymore)
    Birk, Sharp etc have hit thier prime and are on the backside heading down.
    Those guys need to go.
    [/quote]

    Even though they are on the decline, they are certainly playing at the NFL Level. To think that they're not is a complete understatement of what they do for this team. Furthermore, you refuse to admit that they team is going to get worse when we replace Birk and Sharper with Sullivan and Johnson. Those young guys actually are not playing at an NFL Level, and our team's success will be hindered until they learn to.

    Talent is not the problem here, because talent-wise, Birk and Sharper are the best guys to do their job in 2009. Instead you want to let Johnson start and draft another rookie? The problem here is that you value youth over talent. Birk is climbing down the hill and Sullivan is coming up it, but Birk is still higher on the hill.

    The team just made the playoffs for the first time in a while, and is on the brink of becoming a contender. There comes a time when you have to start thinking in the short term.
    [/quote]
    Find me one place were I said that a new guy would be a instant upgrade......
    Of course I agree that it would be a degradation, however, at some point you need to roll the dice and let them out there.

    Would it be nice if STJ and Sullivan were cats that had been on the bench for 3 or 4 years before they had to take the mantle of starter, hell yes, however, at this point and time we are in year 4 of a complete overhaul of this team.
    The FO and Coaching staff just don't have that luxury.
    Nor do they have the luxury of going out on a spending spree and plugging a FA vet in at every position we need one.

    Lets not forget, the Zygmiester had to get into the pockets of the ownership group last year to get what they did get because of revenue issues.

    Again, you try to make it out that I want nothing but rooks starting when in fact I am a big advocate of Vets starting and rooks not seeing the field for 3 or 4 years.
    Problem is that just because I understand what the FO is doing doesn't mean I agree with it.

    You take that agreement and continually try to make it out that it is a plan I would execute if I was in charge ragardless of the timeline (short or long) at hand.......
    [/quote]

    1. This is not that point. When you are on the cusp of success you can't afford to risk getting worse, even though it might be good in the long term.

    2. No, they don't have that luxury. Even if we start the young guys, we'll have to bring in FA backups anways. I would just rather re-sign the guys we have. I know cost is a large issue. Re-signing Birk and Sharper is not by any means a spending spree. I'm not the one on here requesting a new QB, WR, S, OT, FB, RB etc like some people are. I'm saying keep our good players to prevent ourselves from creating our own needs, and go from there.

    3. I have trouble recalling you ever praising a veteran on our team. I really do.

    4. So you say you understand the FO but you don't agree with it? I am simply telling you what I would do. What would you do Marr? Everything you have posted on Birk and Sharper is not about FO strategy. It is simply that you don't like these two guys. You think they are washed up, and not worth re-signing. I'm guessing you support the FO strategy because you agree with it, much like you praise any post the quotes and agrees with your own.

    I'm not a fool. I know that Birk and Sharper probably aren't going to be here next year. I'm just saying I think it's a terrible call.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  2. #22
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Birk is finalist for NFL award

    "V" wrote:
    1. This is not that point. When you are on the cusp of success you can't afford to risk getting worse, even though it might be good in the long term.
    Maintaining the status quo is not how you get over the cusp of anything.
    Truth be told, both Sharper and Birk will play worse next year.
    Even if what they did this year was acceptable, next year it won't.
    Everyone else will have gotten better and they will have gotten worse.

    (In theory of course).

    2. No, they don't have that luxury. Even if we start the young guys, we'll have to bring in FA backups anways. I would just rather re-sign the guys we have. I know cost is a large issue. Re-signing Birk and Sharper is not by any means a spending spree. I'm not the one on here requesting a new QB, WR, S, OT, FB, RB etc like some people are. I'm saying keep our good players to prevent ourselves from creating our own needs, and go from there.
    Maybe just maybe Birk and Sharper are worth resigning even though you think they are.
    My guess is that the staff doesn't think they will play to the level they need to next year and that is why they will be allowed to test the FA market.

    Again, I do not want to get rid of them cause I have an axe to grind.
    Hell I don't have the power to get rid of anyone.......I am only articulating what I believe the FO and Coachings staff are thinking.
    In now way does that equate to what is gonna happen my friend.

    3. I have trouble recalling you ever praising a veteran on our team. I really do.
    Well its pretty damn hard to do it cause there sure aren't many of them on this team but if one were to revisit my rants I have actually praised both Sharp and Birk several times......Phat Pat had a great year, K-will was on my list last year for production but was taken off because he stepped up this year.

    Seriously, you can't remember me even saying good things about my boy Shortwell? I gave him props at least 3 times this year for distance on kicks towards the end.

    Again, I have no favorites and I have no players I dislike.
    I quite that when Denny Green got rid of my boy Joey.
    I refuse to get attached to players after that (although Herrera does get a bit of special attention from me.... ;D)

    4. So you say you understand the FO but you don't agree with it? I am simply telling you what I would do. What would you do Marr? Everything you have posted on Birk and Sharper is not about FO strategy. It is simply that you don't like these two guys. You think they are washed up, and not worth re-signing. I'm guessing you support the FO strategy because you agree with it, much like you praise any post the quotes and agrees with your own.
    Like has nothing to do with it.
    Seriously, I don't dislike Matt and even ole Sharp is OK in my book (the whole EX PUKER thing aside).

    I'm just not that complex.
    Way to shallow on this end of the keyboard to hold grudges against football players...

    I'm not a fool. I know that Birk and Sharper probably aren't going to be here next year. I'm just saying I think it's a terrible call.
    LOL, you know I don't think your a fool.
    Hell, I actually look forward to discussing stuff like this with as well as one of a select few that can/have actually made me rethink a stance on something.....


    I respect you feel that it is a terrible call.
    I just don't see it as that terrible.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 04:27 PM
  2. Birk will attend minicamp - Birk returns
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 07:53 PM
  3. Birk wins community award again
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 04:48 PM
  4. Birk wins team's Ed Block Courage Award
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 10:47 AM
  5. Matt Birk chosen for 2006 Ed Block Courage Award
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2006, 05:44 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •