Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Birk is finalist for NFL award

"singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    What the hell is all of this jibberish about him getting the line calls wrong? There has never been one shred of evidence supporting that claim. It just happens to fall under the category of "If someone says it often enough it becomes fact"

Birk is a home town guy, A great asset to the team and the community and has been a key part of the line for a decade.

You may not like him personally but there is no reason to believe he is making the wrong line calls.
    Marr tends to blame Birk for allowing a blitzer that is supposed to be picked up by a RB **cough AD cough** isn't picked up.
    It's not just Marr. I understand with him it is personal so I factor that in. But there are others on that bandwagon.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    What the hell is all of this jibberish about him getting the line calls wrong? There has never been one shred of evidence supporting that claim. It just happens to fall under the category of "If someone says it often enough it becomes fact"

Birk is a home town guy, A great asset to the team and the community and has been a key part of the line for a decade.

You may not like him personally but there is no reason to believe he is making the wrong line calls.
    Marr tends to blame Birk for allowing a blitzer that is supposed to be picked up by a RB **cough AD cough** isn't picked up.
    It's not just Marr. I understand with him it is personal so I factor that in. But there are others on that bandwagon.
    Personal?
    How in the hell is it personal?
    Do you honestly believe he had a good year this year or last year?

The bench mark for most people (I am not one of them) is a pro-bowl nod.
    Last year most of the talking heads said he didn't deserve it and this year he wasn't even mentioned.

Comeon.
    If there is one thing I am constant on with respect to my posts/critiques is that I have no favorites or guys I don't like.
    They are just players on a team that I love and all of them, regardless of were they were born and raised, or what college they played on will come and go long before I quit supporting this team.

(One caveat:
    EX PUKER Players......Can't stand em)
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

+1.

Unfortunately Chilly doesn't like him...maybe for working out with Morris and not with the team?

I'd like to see him back, as he's our best answer at C.

Congrats to Birk for all of the great work he does off the field. Whether or not he wins the award, it's something he can very proud of.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Personal?

Last year most of the talking heads said he didn't deserve it and this year he wasn't even mentioned.

Comeon.
    If there is one thing I am constant on with respect to my posts/critiques is that I have no favorites or guys I don't like.
    They are just players on a team that I love and all of them, regardless of were they were born and raised, or what college they played on will come and go long before I quit supporting this team.

(One caveat:
    ;D
    I think he had an average year as a Center. Not Pro Bowl caliber but not at the bottom of the league either.
    It is when you blast him and want him replaced while in the same post stating that Cook did fine and should be kept in his position that you lose me. There is no way that Cook played anywhere near as good as Birk did this year and yet you would keep him while kicking Birk to the curb.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Personal?

Comeon.

(One caveat:

;D
    I think he had an average year as a Center. Not Pro Bowl caliber but not at the bottom of the league either.
    It is when you blast him and want him replaced while in the same post stating that Cook did fine and should be kept in his position that you lose me. There is no way that Cook played anywhere near as good as Birk did this year and yet you would keep him while kicking Birk to the curb.
    Apples and oranges.....And I have been consistent in this area as well.....

Apples (New guys thrown to the wolves by the coaching staff learning in front of our eyes against NFL caliber players)
    Cook has his issues.
    I readily admit that.
    He is also improving and I have articulated why I believe he is improving over and over.
    I kindof lump the new guys (Griff/Chad/Cook/AD etc) in the same boat. They are gonna make mistakes. Part of the process of learning under fire so to speak.

Oranges (Older guys not playing at the NFL level anymore)
    Birk, Sharp etc have hit thier prime and are on the backside heading down.
    Those guys need to go.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=UffDaVikes link=topic=50219.msg897959#msg897959 date=1232063806]

Personal?

Comeon.

(One caveat:

;D

Apples (New guys thrown to the wolves by the coaching staff learning in front of our eyes against NFL caliber players)
    Cook has his issues.
    I readily admit that.
    He is also improving and I have articulated why I believe he is improving over and over.
    I kindof lump the new guys (Griff/Chad/Cook/AD etc) in the same boat. They are gonna make mistakes. Part of the process of learning under fire so to speak.

Those guys need to go.
    [/quote]

Even though they are on the decline, they are certainly playing at the NFL Level. To think that they're not is a complete understatement of what they do for this team. Furthermore, you refuse to admit that they team is going to get worse when we replace Birk and Sharper with Sullivan and Johnson. Those young guys actually are not playing at an NFL Level, and our team's success will be hindered until they learn to.

Talent is not the problem here, because talent-wise, Birk and Sharper are the best guys to do their job in 2009. Instead you want to let Johnson start and draft another rookie? The problem here is that you value youth over talent. Birk is climbing down the hill and Sullivan is coming up it, but Birk is still higher on the hill.

The team just made the playoffs for the first time in a while, and is on the brink of becoming a contender. There comes a time when you have to start thinking in the short term.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=50219.msg898036#msg898036 date=1232109172]

Personal?

Comeon.

(One caveat:

;D

Cook has his issues.
    I readily admit that.

Those guys need to go.
    [/quote]

Even though they are on the decline, they are certainly playing at the NFL Level. To think that they're not is a complete understatement of what they do for this team. Furthermore, you refuse to admit that they team is going to get worse when we replace Birk and Sharper with Sullivan and Johnson. Those young guys actually are not playing at an NFL Level, and our team's success will be hindered until they learn to.

Talent is not the problem here, because talent-wise, Birk and Sharper are the best guys to do their job in 2009. Instead you want to let Johnson start and draft another rookie? The problem here is that you value youth over talent. Birk is climbing down the hill and Sullivan is coming up it, but Birk is still higher on the hill.

The team just made the playoffs for the first time in a while, and is on the brink of becoming a contender. There comes a time when you have to start thinking in the short term.
    [/quote]
    Find me one place were I said that a new guy would be a instant upgrade......
    Of course I agree that it would be a degradation, however, at some point you need to roll the dice and let them out there.

Would it be nice if STJ and Sullivan were cats that had been on the bench for 3 or 4 years before they had to take the mantle of starter, hell yes, however, at this point and time we are in year 4 of a complete overhaul of this team.
    The FO and Coaching staff just don't have that luxury.
    Nor do they have the luxury of going out on a spending spree and plugging a FA vet in at every position we need one.

Lets not forget, the Zygmiester had to get into the pockets of the ownership group last year to get what they did get because of revenue issues.

Again, you try to make it out that I want nothing but rooks starting when in fact I am a big advocate of Vets starting and rooks not seeing the field for 3 or 4 years.
    Problem is that just because I understand what the FO is doing doesn't mean I agree with it.

You take that agreement and continually try to make it out that it is a plan I would execute if I was in charge ragardless of the timeline (short or long) at hand.......

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Didn't Birk say in a post game interview that he missed a call? I heard it on kfan driving home after a game. He only admitted to 1, it is not like he does it all the time but I think that is where these people are getting it from.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Didn't Birk say in a post game interview that he missed a call? I heard it on kfan driving home after a game. He only admitted to 1, it is not like he does it all the time but I think that is where these people are getting it from.
    He did, but, you have to assume things are pulled out of the ass.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Personal?

Comeon.

(One caveat:

;D

Cook has his issues.
    I readily admit that.

Those guys need to go.
    [/quote]

No one believes you that Cook is improving. He is a backup and will be replaced next year just as he was this year.

Anyways, congrats to Birk on all the hard work he has put in for us and to this award. I think I am only the second person to congratulate him.
    :

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast