Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Birk doesn't get contract extension

[size=13pt]Birk doesn't get contract extension[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

It sounds like a questionable move imo. He has been a pro bowl caliber player for years.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Birk doesn't get contract extension

I thought this was an interesting statement by Phat Pat.

"I like coach Childress," Williams said. "We have the same mission. I don't want him to go anywhere. So as long as he's there, I want to be there."

Not all the players hate him and what he is doing.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

But I also found this interesting where Pat Williams said of the new players on the team,
    "They got to prove to me that they're worthy of being considered teammates."
    With the article on Kleinsasser where Tomlin mentions discipline problems I am beginning to wonder more and more if problems between players weren't at the root cause of a lot of the problems the Vikes had last year.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

Two things

1) They may get a deal reworked, it sounds like both sides are calm about the situation.

2) I could honest to god see Matt Birk being cut next season to save the 5mil hit.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

As said at the moment both sides seem ok with things so no need to get excited at the present. Maybe after this year, based on his performance, he will have more leverage to get his contract extended.
    I thought the same as Cojomay with that comment about discipline - maybe there were things going on in the background that the fanbase wasn't aware of. Be interesting to see if anything more comes out about this at all.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"Del" wrote:
    Two things

1) They may get a deal reworked, it sounds like both sides are calm about the situation.

2) I could honest to god see Matt Birk being cut next season to save the 5mil hit.
    I hope not.
    Hes a good guy I would like to see him here, and letting proficient players go is not in my opinion the best way to rebuild.

Im sure one of two things will happen.
    His play will improve to deserve his money next year or he will be willing to take a pay cut.

Birk (or at least his agent) stated not too long ago he wants to finish in MN.

I believe these are preliminary discussions, hes still got two years left.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

"Billy" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    Two things

I hope not.
    Hes a good guy I would like to see him here, and letting proficient players go is not in my opinion the best way to rebuild.

His play will improve to deserve his money next year or he will be willing to take a pay cut.

As far as fans go it would be a horrible move by the coaching staff. The guy is well loved.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Del" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    Two things

I hope not.

As far as fans go it would be a horrible move by the coaching staff. The guy is well loved.

I liken it to the day I found out Denny got rid of Joey Browner.
    Hated (strong word) him for it, but you know, the Vikings will be around longer than any player.
    They come and go and I have seen alot of them do it in my day.

If he costs to much, isn't playing to that level, whatever the reason, get rid of him and move on.

Someone is out there that can replace him. I know that sounds harsh, but the sooner some of our younger fan base figures that out, the better.

They ya go Del.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Birk is a level-headed guy that wants to be in MN.
    Hopefully they can work something out next year to where both sides are happy.
    If not, I agree with Del that he may get cut.
    It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
    Hopefully he will stay.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    Two things

I hope not.

I liken it to the day I found out Denny got rid of Joey Browner.
    Hated (strong word) him for it, but you know, the Vikings will be around longer than any player.
    They come and go and I have seen alot of them do it in my day.

If he costs to much, isn't playing to that level, whatever the reason, get rid of him and move on.

Someone is out there that can replace him. I know that sounds harsh, but the sooner some of our younger fan base figures that out, the better.

They ya go Del.

Well you gotta worry about a guy who sticks it out at that position. Having multiple guys run their finger down the crack of your ass and poke you in the man berries......daily. I don't care where you go to school that aint right.

I do remember him saying we are paying him too much lol, so money may not be an issue. I will just say he needs to have a better year, and he probably will.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast