Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Birk committed to cause

[size=13pt]Birk committed to cause[/size]

A disappointing number of players contributed to the Gridiron Greats program, but the center vows to keep at it.

By CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune

Last update: February 3, 2009 - 11:28 PM

Vikings center Matt Birk said he was surprised but not deterred by the poor response from NFL players who were asked to donate part of their game checks from a December game to assist former players who face severe health and financial hardships.

Birk donated $50,000 and also sent a letter to every NFL player encouraging them to donate a portion of their Dec. 21 game check. Of the nearly 1,700 active players in the league, only about 20 donated to the cause, including eight of Birk's Vikings teammates.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Birk committed to cause

Of the nearly 1,700 active players in the league, only about 20 donated to the cause, including eight of Birk's Vikings teammates.....
    That is sad. I hope those nearly 1,680 players never plan to ask for assistance from the Gridiron Greats program.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Current players need to think of their future's, and hopefully not need this program, but in reality need to know this is not the case. They need education to provide the facts on players lives after football, and pitch in to help their NFL family with more programs for mental health, alcohol/drug abuse, family counseling, and long term health care. Matt needs to outline his plans to address these and other concerns of the NFLPA, outline goals and share his findings with current players.

Birk > Goodell

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Birk > Goodell

+1, thanks for the article singer.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Wow, 20 players out of the entire league? 7 or 8 of them from Birk's own team? I find that quite amazing considering the wealth throughout the league.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

20 is pretty bad...

but I just wanna throw out there that NFL players probably get countless requests for their money and time. So many of the players have their own foundations and own local charities. Take for example in our lives those people that ring the bells outside stores at Christmas time, I give a little bit to a few of them, but if I gave to all of them, I'd be screwing myself.

Also Birk only donated $50,000 and he's in the top 10% of the highest paid players and has been around for 10 years, most non-superstars probably don't make as much as people think, and they have their own futures and families to worry about after this short career.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

With all the stuff Birks been doing lately for the community and NFL, do you think he'll get a job with the NFL once he retires as a player?
    He's a Harvard Grad too, so he's pretty bright.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Wow, 20 players out of the entire league? 7 or 8 of them from Birk's own team? I find that quite amazing considering the wealth throughout the league.
    I think it's rather shameful, actually. That means out of those 1,680 players, they couldn't even give $100???? With the kind of money they make???
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"shockzilla" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    I think it's rather shameful, actually. That means out of those 1,680 players, they couldn't even give $100???? With the kind of money they make???
    League minimum is $300,000+.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast