Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Bills Game: What went right, wrong, and was unexpected?

There was pretty poor play all around. The defense wasn't terrible (though I'll concede the fact that Smoot stunk it up), after all, 17 points allowed when your offense can barely control thhe ball for 24 minutes isn't all that bad. THe offense though, took a big dump in Buffalo, and while I lay some of the blame at the players' feet w/ dropped passes, rubber-armed throws, and lame line playing, I was astounded at some of the ridiculous play calling.
    Three things that stuck out in my mind:
    1) 16 total rushing attempts?!
    2) 4th and 2, 7:48 left to play, down by 11, and at midfield, Childress punts?! Only Nancy's little sister Sally would make such a wussy call.
    3) 3rd down on the 25, 14 seconds left, and you don't put one up in the endzone? Granted, this is as much on Johnson as Childress, but seriously, why wouldn't a coach tell his QB to at least throw one up for grabs? I mean, you're out of timeouts and its more or less the last play of the game. The only other alternative is to throw it straight towards the sideline. But why in the name of all things holy would you throw a pass in the middle of the field halfway to a TD? Incomprehensible.

On the plus side, at least we scored an offensive TD, though it took 12+ quarters, so I'm not really sure how good that actually is. And the O looked OK at the end of each half. But all around, I'd say that until furhter notice Childress is no longer worthy of his mustache. Like a small man in big clothes...

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Bills Game: What went right, wrong, and was unexpected?

What went right is not relevant in this loss.

What went wrong?

A lot of things obviously but the most disturbing thing to me is the coaching.

Does this sound familiar?

First down.
    Line Chester Taylor up 7 yards back and hand him the ball up the middle. But take so much time the outside rush gets to him in the backfield before he gets to the line of scrimmage.

Second down.
    Hand it to Taylor up the middle again or throw a pass for a 4 yared gain or loss.

Third down.
    Bring in Mewelde Moore and either give it to him on a draw or throw it underneath short of the first down marker.

In the red zone.
    What ever you do,never throw to the end zone.

No risk no reward.

Most unexpected.

They are the same old Vikings. I don't know why expected better after all these years.

CCthebest, I owe you an apology! It appears you were right about this team.

Damn am I mad!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12