Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Bills Game: What went right, wrong, and was unexpected?

Week 4 Contest.
    Give me your analysis and we'll give the best analysis this weeks' prize.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Bills Game: What went right, wrong, and was unexpected?

What went wrong?.....EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

It's a sad testiment to the state of the Viking's Offense that it took us over 12 QUARTERS of play to score an Offensive touchdown.
    That's 3 complete games!!!
    With starting field position near midfield on 3 seperate occassions, the Vikings were - once again - unable to put drives together.

Defensively, with Fred Smoot now playing EVERY receiver like they're Steve Smith just waiting to torture him, the sure-fire completion seems to be, "Throw Left".
    Buffalo tortured our secondary all game long...even on improbable plays.
    Up front, the Vikings played well, but not well enough to stop J.P. Lossman from making them look bad on far too many plays.
    McGahee didn't rack up big yardage on us, but the threat of him doing so seemed to make our coverage slip.

Brad Johnson uncharacteristicly looked fairly sad today, throwing 2 INT's (Only 1 of which I lay at his feet).
    Troy Williamson dropped balls - again - and caused us to halt in our tracks.
    Robinson dropped one he should have had, but he still looks better than Troy.

Play calling didn't get aggressive until the end of the game - the only time the Vikings moved the ball except the opening drive.
    Why isn't Childress opening up earlier?
    Teams now expect us to play hyperconservative, and it shows by how often we went 3-n-out.
    Childress needs to step up the tempo of this O-Unit and force Defenses to play a little more off balance.

Penalties, penalties, penalties.
    Do we LIKE shooting ourselves in the foot?
    Several penalties late in the game might have wound up costing us the game.
    The false start during the 2 pt conversion and the Udeze encroachment call - we lost time and points on those, both of which we needed more of.

All in all, my initial reaction is to say that we are in trouble.
    Sure, we're 2-2, but we could have been 4-0 right now.
    We beat ourselves in both contests by playing too conservatively, commiting stupid penalties, and blowing critical coverages.
    Maybe it would be better to say that we could be 0-4 right now, but I don't honestly think we played above ourselves in the 1st two contests...I think we played beneath ourselves in the last two.

It's going to take me at LEAST 24 hours to cool off an look at this game objectively, but right now I'm disgusted.
    And, quite frankly, I'm concerned about our ability to win.

Caine

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

What went right: Absolutely Nothing...

What went wrong: Everything..

What was unexpected: Our defense playing like sh!t behind of course the one and only Fred Smoot...

Need I say anything more?

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Two positives I saw

Greg Blue had a smokin hit

Vikes scored a touchdown

negatives

Team looked like they didn't practise last week, penalties, offense sputtered, missed tackles.
    Poor overall game

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

What went wrong:

The first 3.5 Quarters of the game. Sad stuff to watch. Almost unbearable.

What went right. The last 4 minutes of the game or so other than the last brad pass were actually pretty good. Had we had our head on straight the entire game like that, we would have crushed them handily.

Unexpected?: That the loss of Ben Leber would mean so much to our team.

Woulda coulda shoulda...

Man...where do I start? I feel sick to my stomach.

First off, Smoot is a joke. Simply horrid. Secondly, ol' alligator arms Williamson is really driving me nuts. This is the second game where catchable passes dropped right between his arms. Sickening. He's paid to catch the gol 'darnit ball. Catch it! I'm having a hard time justifying his dropped passes anymore. He simply doesn't have good hands.

All in all, the entire team played a sloppy game. Longwell was the only one who didn't make any real mistakes. Even Kluwe was hot and cold.

On a positive note, we were still in this game right to the end. Even though he did have a couple of obvious bad passes, Brad didn't let it get into his head and he played like the veteran leader he is until time sadly ran out. Yeah, he should have went deep and just thrown it out to stop the clock, but you do have to put the ball in a playmakers hands to make plays. Unfortunately no one could make a play after the catch. But, when it comes to these close games, live by the sword, die by the sword and we've died the last two games. It's the nature of the beast.

We need to tighten up our play and make less stupid mistakes on both ends of the ball. Our defense needs to tackle better. We should have ran it more in the first half of the game. We gave up on the run too easily. I also think we need to get the ball to Mewelde Moore more often on offense. He does have the ability to be a playmaker when healthy.

Man, I could go on and on...but, I think it's best if i just let this loss sink in for a couple days and move on to our next game.

In the meantime, go Seahawks! and go Bengals! and go Eagles!!! At least I still have something to root for this weekend ( or at least teams to root against)...
    Even babies know the difference.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    Two positives I saw

Greg Blue had a smokin hit

Vikes scored a touchdown

negatives

Team looked like they didn't practise last week, penalties, offense sputtered, missed tackles.
    Poor overall game

That Greg Blue hit was awesome... I really think Brad Childress should consider starting either Cedric Griffin or Roynell Whitaker in Smoot's place next week.. If either of those guys can step up, I think the Vikes are better off releasing Smoot.. He is over paid, and over hyped.. He flat out sucks..

Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler

Childress gives up on the run way too easily... The whole team needs to go back to tackling 101... Smoot is garbage... Williamson has too many drops but this is his first year starting and you cant expect a 'rookie' to be perfect... Penalties have been brutal... Marcus Johnson has been pretty disappointing lately

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

Yeah, Fred Smoot had another bad game.

When he played for the Redskins, they always had a very good pash rush, and that always makes it easier on your secondary. The Vikings have an ok pass rush, but it's not what Smoot was used to in Washington.

Fred Smoot had 16 interceptions in just 4 seasons while he played for the Redskins. And that's why he's seen as a good cover cornerback, but he's been exposed since he signed his contract with the Minnesota Vikings.

In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast