Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Bills fan here... Let's get this started

"whackthepack" wrote:
    My God!
    What a change of pace having realistic and enjoyable fans from an opponent after having to deal with bears fans for the last week and a half.

Welcome to the site Buffalo fans and good luck to your team, just not this Sunday!

One the Buffalo posters mentioned Winfield but I think the best player on our team that was a former Bill is Pat Williams, he has been a huge difference in the turn around of our defense and should have made
    the probowl last year.
    There was a lot of controversy in Buffalo over whether to re-sign Winfield, and later, Pat Williams. Most fans pretty much felt that Antoine getting $35 mil was too much to pay for him, especially because he dropped a few INTs. He was my favorite player but I was somewhat torn. We knew we were going to have to pay a year or two down the line for Nate Clements and the Bills brass thought Clements to be a better player all around because he caused turnovers, and was bigger. I always contended that Antoine was better. Now, even in retrospect, it's hard to argue with the Bills decision. The other corner, Terrence McGee, is very good, and we re-signed him to an extension last year. That one is a toss-up.

Pat Williams is a different story. In retrospect, almost all Bills fans and reporters think it was a major blunder to not re-sign him. Mostly because we didn't sign a replacement. When AW left, we immediately signed Troy Vincent for a lot less money to replace him. We didn't get anyone in place of Williams and we suffered badly. He's very good and has been very good for several years.

In the for-what-it's-worth department, here is a little anecdote on the Antoine Winfield signing. Some of this you likely already know. I know this to be true, but take it as just hearsay...

I have a friend who is close to a lot of Bills players, both personally and professionally. He charters planes to away games, trades favors with players, etc. He told me that the day the Vikings signed Winfield, he got a call from Teddy Cottrell looking for the cell number of Bud Carpenter, who is the Bills trainer. Cottrell knew that Carpenter was very close to Winfield, and would have his private cell number (or new cell number). The Vikes learned that Antoine was just about to be signed by the Jets and was actually having dinner with the Jets brass in NYC and had verbally agreed to their deal, but the Vikes wanted one last crack at him and couldn't get in touch with him because he was set to sign. My friend gave Cottrell the number, Cottrell got Antoine's private number from Carpenter. They convinced him not to sign
    until they flew there to meet him, and then whisked him away with their $35 mil deal.
    Just thought that was kinda cool and amusing.

IEatCrayonz is offline Waterboy

Winfield is pound for pound the best tackler in the nfl.
    Losing Pat Williams hurt just as much in the locker room as it did on the interior of the line.
    He's a guy you want your young guys to emulate.
    Losing Winfield hurt, losing Williams killed.

Prophet Guest

"Kelly" wrote:

...I have a friend who is close to a lot of Bills players, both personally and professionally. He charters planes to away games, trades favors with players, etc. He told me that the day the Vikings signed Winfield, he got a call from Teddy Cottrell looking for the cell number of Bud Carpenter, who is the Bills trainer. Cottrell knew that Carpenter was very close to Winfield, and would have his private cell number (or new cell number). The Vikes learned that Antoine was just about to be signed by the Jets and was actually having dinner with the Jets brass in NYC and had verbally agreed to their deal, but the Vikes wanted one last crack at him and couldn't get in touch with him because he was set to sign. My friend gave Cottrell the number, Cottrell got Antoine's private number from Carpenter. They convinced him not to sign
    until they flew there to meet him, and then whisked him away with their $35 mil deal.
    Just thought that was kinda cool and amusing.
    Nice story, surprising, this must have been a pre-lobotomy story involving Cottrell.

davike is offline Team Alumni

"Kelly" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    wow, i am really impressed by the bills fans posting on here, they sure are a relief after a weeks worth of cocky bears fans. everyone pretty much covered all the weaknesses and strengths on both teams, and it was all very classy and polite. im impressed. so hope you guys do good i still think that the vikes will come up with a W but good luck anyways and may the best team win.
    We're 1-2. If we were 3-0 I'd bet a lot of our morons would be spewing nonsense on opponents' boards.
    ;D
    i know some vikings fans that are as bad as packer fans, and they rub it in to the other fans to much even when we didn't really play that well and i don't like that, a little bit of grief but don't go over board. i try not to do to much of that and respect other fans who don't as well and also realize that their team isn't invincible. but every team has spewing morons, its just that some teams have more than others. i am a crazy vikings fan and always will be but i realize that our team has weaknesses and am not afraid to tell ppl what i think we need to work on.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234