singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Biggest ? CB, not QB

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    It was going to be hard to completely overhaul the secondary in one season without having other units suffer so I have no problem with how they handled this off season at the CB position. Personally I would have rather had them drop back a few more two drafts ago and take claiborne and draft a different LT but it's always a crapshoot. Mo has had a few knee injuries in the last 2 years but I still say he will be a good one.

But they took Rhodes this year and if he lives up to his potential it will be huge for the secondary because having him and Cook being able to man up on a single WR means the job of the nickel and dime CB's will be that much easier.

Winfield was not that great as a cover corner or even that great in coverage. His strength was the run and since this division is stacked with passing and not so much with runners his best asset was not the thing we needed the most. It may take another year to shore that up but when you look back 2 years ago when we had the league record for going the longest without an INT I believe we will be headed in the right direction.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    But they took Rhodes this year and if he lives up to his potential it will be huge for the secondary because having him and Cook being able to man up on a single WR means the job of the nickel and dime CB's will be that much easier.
    If Rhodes lives up to his potential, I think him, Cook & having Smith will do OK in the secondary. The CB position was a need this year, we addressed it with Rhodes. I agree, we had too many other holes to plug to go after 2 CB's.

I wouldn't have wanted to give up Floyd or Patterson in favor of another CB.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"