Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Re: Bigger Role for Sidney Rice?

Syd is the Vikes secret weapon for the playoffs.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

"V" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I think his MCL has had alot to do with his limited success this year.

I am a firm believer that it does typcially take 3 years for a WR to get it.
    Then add in that WR's in this scheme really need to run precise routes based on what the D shows and I think you will see why the yonger guys aren't setting the world on fire.

Long story short, before we give up on AA and El Syd, lets go ahead and at least see what they can do next year.
    I agree with that to an extent, but it isn't a thing where they are unproductive for 2 years and then in the third there is a drastic leap, it is more a process of improvement along with a few mistakes in the first 2 years that finally get fine tuned in the third with fewer mistakes. I don't see much improvement in productivity for Rice or Allison this year.

I would like to hear from somebody that is there how the two of them are in practice. I have to wonder if they don't have the work ethic in practice and maybe that is what is limiting their touches.
    Practice info would be nice.

Still say that the MCL has had alot to do with his progress.
    My question as far as Allison and Rice are the same as UffDa's..
    What is limiting their touches?
    From what I've seen in games, both have impressed me in one way or another.
    What is going on during the practices with these two?
    It has very little to do with skill if you ask me. Our style of offense simply does not pass enough to see the type of production that Rice and AA are capable of. We have our main targets of BB, CT, Wade, and Shank, but when you're only passing 25 times per game, you simply aren't going to see many balls to your 3rd and 4th receivers. I think Rice and AA are solid guys, but their numbers don't show it because of the scheme which we use.

I'm not saying change the scheme to throw them more. I'm saying our scheme is lucky to have solid 3rd and 4th WRs to call upon when neccesary, even though that rarely happens.
    Good points.....I really do like Rice though, and I think Allison has some skills and is coming around.

I think both of these guys were great draft choices, and I am looking forward to watching them continue to blossom.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I expected more also.
    I wouldn't count him out just yet.
    He needs to work a bit harder than just relying on his skill and hype.
    He should be out there tearing it up.

Would he do better in a different system? Some will say BS that doesn't have anything to do with it.
    I would have to agree, that great players will succeed in any system.
    I would definitely say that he is borderline "wasted talent" (Bronx Tale reference).

Two questions............
    Does he want to do better ...... and what is he going to do about it?

He has to want to be and do better.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=49891.msg888208#msg888208 date=1230685094]

Then add in that WR's in this scheme really need to run precise routes based on what the D shows and I think you will see why the yonger guys aren't setting the world on fire.

Long story short, before we give up on AA and El Syd, lets go ahead and at least see what they can do next year.
    I agree with that to an extent, but it isn't a thing where they are unproductive for 2 years and then in the third there is a drastic leap, it is more a process of improvement along with a few mistakes in the first 2 years that finally get fine tuned in the third with fewer mistakes. I don't see much improvement in productivity for Rice or Allison this year.

I would like to hear from somebody that is there how the two of them are in practice. I have to wonder if they don't have the work ethic in practice and maybe that is what is limiting their touches.

[size=14pt] What is limiting their touches?[/size]
    It has very little to do with skill if you ask me. Our style of offense simply does not pass enough to see the type of production that Rice and AA are capable of. We have our main targets of BB, CT, Wade, and Shank, but when you're only passing 25 times per game, you simply aren't going to see many balls to your 3rd and 4th receivers. I think Rice and AA are solid guys, but their numbers don't show it because of the scheme which we use.

I'm not saying change the scheme to throw them more. I'm saying our scheme is lucky to have solid 3rd and 4th WRs to call upon when neccesary, even though that rarely happens.
    Good points.....I really do like Rice though, and I think Allison has some skills and is coming around.

I think both of these guys were great draft choices, and I am looking forward to watching them continue to blossom.
    [/quote]

Is TJ limiting Rice's and Allison's touches.
    Progression through all the routes?

huxx is offline Pro-Bowler

"gagarr" wrote:
    Syd is the Vikes secret weapon for the playoffs.
    I hope so...I want to see some of those highlight reel catches from last year.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=UffDaVikes link=topic=49891.msg888211#msg888211 date=1230685443]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=49891.msg888208#msg888208 date=1230685094]

[size=14pt] What is limiting their touches?[/size]

[/quote]

Is TJ limiting Rice's and Allison's touches.
    Progression through all the routes?
    [/quote]
    I don't see it.
    On a play, the #1 reciever isn't always the primary reciever.
    Many plays are drawn up to go to a specific player, the wideout may draw his man deep, the TE may take his guy on an out, freeing up the post for the slot (wade) who isn't our #1 player.
    The progression is then made if the primary reciever on the play isn't open.
    I think we just don't call enough plays for Rice and Allison.

mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler

"Marrdro" wrote:

There is more to the MCL injury than we were told. At least that's my belief.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Rice has been a real disapointment IMO, I understand he was injured but he reallly hasn't produced or got that seperation he was getting last season. In understanding that he's still a productive guy with the TD's and he's still very young, I believe he has 3 to 4 more seasons before he even starts the prime of his carear.

Whoever said he had horrible ball skills is completely off the charts, Rice has incredible ball skills, its a matter of him getting open and getting the ball to him. At the end of the Falcons game he had an opportunity to catch an important pass but its hard to it with a defender holding down your right arm. Aundre Allison on the other hand is also having a very difficult time getting seperation, he does alot of pushing off, its been a down season for him also.

On the other hand I believe Rice is being underutalized in a big way, especailly in terms of using his ball skills/jumping ablity in the Red Zone areas. Last week we tried a slant pattern to Berrian for a TD when in all Reality we should had have gave Tarvaris an opportunity to throw a fade up to Rice, this has not happened this season and I find it quite disturbing. He made some incredible jump ball passess in the endzone last season, this year its non existent. Giving Tarvaris the opportunity to throw a safer pass to Rice would have likely prevented an INT, its time we start putting our QB in better situations.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123