Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eldin is offline Training Camp

Bigger Role for Sidney Rice?

One player I was expecting to emerge this year, but never really did is Sidney Rice.

What do you think the issue is?
    I don't recall him ever blatantly dropping a pass.
    He seems to have decent ball skills.
    I think he has more upside than Wade.

I wonder if he has a hard time getting open.
    He might not have the best speed . . .

Still, it would really help our offense if he could make a bigger contribution.

At least he can never be as bad as our last receiver from South Carolina . . .

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

Re: Bigger Role for Sidney Rice?

"Eldin" wrote:
    One player I was expecting to emerge this year, but never really did is Sidney Rice.

What do you think the issue is?
    I don't recall him ever blatantly dropping a pass.
    He seems to have decent ball skills.
    I think he has more upside than Wade.

I wonder if he has a hard time getting open.
    He might not have the best speed . . .

Still, it would really help our offense if he could make a bigger contribution.

At least he can never be as bad as our last receiver from South Carolina . . .

True, but I was hoping for an Aundrea Allison show! What happened to him? Does it still have something to do with the PI calls?

Rambro is offline Rookie

In my opinion Sidney Rice has horrible ball skills, I've seen him make some nice catches but those were last season, I don't know if it's our receiving coaches or what but he doesn't get up and grab the ball, I see alot of hand checking and then he misses the ball and looks for a flag.
    I can think of one during the 2nd Bears game in the endzone where I think it was Manning covering him for the fade, Manning broke it up and it got kicked into the air and if Urlacher had been a tenth of a second quicker he would have picked it off, and during all of this Sidney Rice didn't even know where the ball was and was bitching at the ref for a flag.
    Another one was during the Falcons game last play of the game, it was a wishy washy call, the PI could have gone either way because Rice initiated it but the other guy pulled his arm down. But regardless Rice should have caught it, it hit him right in the stomach between the elbow, this was one day after I saw Derrick Mason catch 6 passes for 66 yards and a TD against the Cowboys with one good arm and the other one he had a dislocated shoulder.

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"Rambro" wrote:
    In my opinion Sidney Rice has horrible ball skills, I've seen him make some nice catches but those were last season, I don't know if it's our receiving coaches or what but he doesn't get up and grab the ball, I see alot of hand checking and then he misses the ball and looks for a flag.
    I can think of one during the 2nd Bears game in the endzone where I think it was Manning covering him for the fade, Manning broke it up and it got kicked into the air and if Urlacher had been a tenth of a second quicker he would have picked it off, and during all of this Sidney Rice didn't even know where the ball was and was bitching at the ref for a flag.
    Another one was during the Falcons game last play of the game, it was a wishy washy call, the PI could have gone either way because Rice initiated it but the other guy pulled his arm down. But regardless Rice should have caught it, it hit him right in the stomach between the elbow, this was one day after I saw Derrick Mason catch 6 passes for 66 yards and a TD against the Cowboys with one good arm and the other one he had a dislocated shoulder.
    Good post.

I wouldn't say he has horrible ball skills..
    I think he has alot of upside.
    But I think he relies too much on the defender interfering, as opposed to having the mindset of 'CATCH THAT BALL AT ALL COSTS'.
    It's almost like he wants to use an excuse for his poor play as of late.

Here's to the coachs working with him on that stuff.
    Berrian seems to be made of glass, so Rice will have his opportunities.
    Just needs to have the right mindset about those opportunities.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Eldin is offline Training Camp

I recall the missed opportunity against Atlanta.

It would have been a great catch and I don't blame him for failing to make it, but it did seem like he could have made a better effort.
    He did seem to give up on it and look for a flag.

I just would love to see him fill the #2 spot.
    Wade is solid, but he is better suited to being a #3.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"Rambro" wrote:
    I expected more too, however, Mike Mayock, NFL Network commentator, Vikes preseason TV announcer, and NFL Draft expert, stated that Sidney Rice had "the best ball skills of all WR's drafted that year.
    I too am waiting for him to emerge, however, he catches everything he gets his hands on.
    He will be a good player and solid contributor IMO.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Rambro is offline Rookie

Well maybe I shouldn't have used the word ball skills, maybe just his mindset not being "GO UP AND GET THE BALL AT ALL COSTS", it's just frustrating living here in Arizona so I basically see the Cardinals play every week and Fitzgerald just jumps up and snatches the ball, one handed, over the defender while falling you name it he catches it, Rice can be that I think it just might be coaching.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

There are question marks surrounding the WR's we have drafted recently. Hopefully they pay off in the future.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I think his MCL has had alot to do with his limited success this year.

I am a firm believer that it does typcially take 3 years for a WR to get it.
    Then add in that WR's in this scheme really need to run precise routes based on what the D shows and I think you will see why the yonger guys aren't setting the world on fire.

Long story short, before we give up on AA and El Syd, lets go ahead and at least see what they can do next year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I think his MCL has had alot to do with his limited success this year.

I am a firm believer that it does typcially take 3 years for a WR to get it.
    Then add in that WR's in this scheme really need to run precise routes based on what the D shows and I think you will see why the yonger guys aren't setting the world on fire.

Long story short, before we give up on AA and El Syd, lets go ahead and at least see what they can do next year.
    I agree with that to an extent, but it isn't a thing where they are unproductive for 2 years and then in the third there is a drastic leap, it is more a process of improvement along with a few mistakes in the first 2 years that finally get fine tuned in the third with fewer mistakes. I don't see much improvement in productivity for Rice or Allison this year.

I would like to hear from somebody that is there how the two of them are in practice. I have to wonder if they don't have the work ethic in practice and maybe that is what is limiting their touches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast