Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Re: Big uglies won't help Vikings in Minnesota

"singersp" wrote:

Udeze did have 2 sacks he wasn't credited for. 1 was called back on a penalty & another was for a 10 yard loss where he caused a fumble, but the offense recovered it.

I also believe it's worth mentioning again that Udeze led the vikings with 13 tackles for a loss.
    Sweet!
    Nice work!
    Wonder what he'll do in the face of all this criticism
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"mountainviking" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Udeze did have 2 sacks he wasn't credited for. 1 was called back on a penalty & another was for a 10 yard loss where he caused a fumble, but the offense recovered it.

I also believe it's worth mentioning again that Udeze led the vikings with 13 tackles for a loss.
    Sweet!
    Nice work!
    Wonder what he'll do in the face of all this criticism
    Way to dig deep singer! I knew there had to be a reason they let Udeze keep playing last year.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I guess that "bumping uglies" didn't help the year before either!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Underwhelming article.
    Starts off talking about how close we were last year and then assumes we'll be worse this year...he speaks highly of the OLINE and running game but fails to mention we allowed the 10th most sacks and led the league in penalties (many by our line)...which, as stated before, leads to any QB struggling!!
    Turn those two things around and we've got a chance at 10 wins, whoever the starting QB is...remember Dilfer in the superbowl anybody??
    First QB to ever win the superbowl and be released by his team in the off season.
    Well stated. I have no idea what team he watched last year but it wasn't this one!

The right side of the line-G Artis Hicks and T Marcus Johnson-delivers in solid play what it lacks in big name talent.

My rcollection is a bit different. Hicks looked like a turnstile at times and Johnson ended the season on the bench.Both had too many presnap penalties in addition to poor pass blocking.

I don't know where all this love for the line is coming from in the off-season.

The left side came around and improved to finish well but Birk wasn't impressive early and Mckinnie still gets beat too often by speed rushers.

Cook had his share of presnap penalties and missed blocks but showed improvement.

That is one reason Tarvaris didn't perform better.The other major reason is he was running the scout team instead of the Vikings offense,until just before he started playing in games.

I anticipate much better line play this year as a product of experience working as a unit.
    But Hicks and Cook or Johnson need to prove it to me before I buy into it.

Birk has bulked up and I look forward to seeing him not get manhandled as much.

Udeze wont contain his way to the probowl or impress very many with two sacks.
    But he has the potential for a much better season if James returns healthy. He is a very good at stopping the run. One other thing that will help his sack count is improved inside pressure to flush the QB.We didn't get enough of that last year.

As the line goes, so goes Tarvaris.

Kevan is spelled Kevin! come on!
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:
    Take your eyes off:
    DE Kenechi Udeze—No sacks last year leaves nowhere to go but up (or the bench).
    Udeze played out of position last year after Erasmus went down.
    Granted zero sacks is unimpressive, but I've read that Udeze was oversized for the position he was asked to play.
    His skills at containment, stopping the rush and disrupting are ideal for the strong side of the line.
    I expect a big year from Udeze, rather than a benching.

K so Udeze had 2 sacks, fair enough.
    I hever never heard what your are refering to mountainman, a link or something would be nice.
    Udeze is a big man, granted, but he is a very capable pass rusher and is known for it.
    I didn't see any pressure on the QBs last year and unless we see some changes from Frazier, in this defense it is going to be the line that provides that pressure.
    He did wonderful containing and suppressing the run in the backfield last year but he needs to get more pressure on the QB (regardless of what sides hes on), he should have been more then capable of doing that from RE.
    But, I believe teams better O-lineman tend to be on the left side.
    It may be possible he will be able to get more pressure at LE.

Singer, what games was it that he had the near sacks?
    I believe he played some LE in a game last year.
    Where do you find the tackles for a loss stats?

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Billy" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:
    Take your eyes off:
    DE Kenechi Udeze—No sacks last year leaves nowhere to go but up (or the bench).
    Udeze played out of position last year after Erasmus went down.
    Granted zero sacks is unimpressive, but I've read that Udeze was oversized for the position he was asked to play.
    His skills at containment, stopping the rush and disrupting are ideal for the strong side of the line.
    I expect a big year from Udeze, rather than a benching.

K so Udeze had 2 sacks, fair enough.
    I hever never heard what your are refering to mountainman, a link or something would be nice.
    Udeze is a big man, granted, but he is a very capable pass rusher and is known for it.
    I didn't see any pressure on the QBs last year and unless we see some changes from Frazier, in this defense it is going to be the line that provides that pressure.
    He did wonderful containing and suppressing the run in the backfield last year but he needs to get more pressure on the QB (regardless of what sides hes on), he should have been more then capable of doing that from RE.
    But, I believe teams better O-lineman tend to be on the left side.
    It may be possible he will be able to get more pressure at LE.

Singer, what games was it that he had the near sacks?
    I believe he played some LE in a game last year.
    Where do you find the tackles for a loss stats?
    Pretty sure the sacks & 13 tackles were mentioned in this article/thread. For sure the 13 tackles for a loss were because I quoted it in my post;

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=88888914&topic=345 03.msg584347#msg584347

Unfortunately, the article is archived. I searched the archives & found it, but they want you to pay to see the entire article. It was Udeze who talked about the 2 sacks

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_multi=SP|&p_product=SP&p_theme=realciti es2&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&s_site=twincitie s&s_trackval=SP&p_text_search-0=Chances%20AND%20running%20AND%20out%20AND%20for% 20AND%20Udeze&s_dispstring=Chances%20running%20out %20for%20Udeze%20AND%20date(all)&xcal_numdocs=20&p _perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date&xcal_useweights=no

Here's a good link to the mention of the 13 tackles for a loss, but mentions 0 sacks obviously because he did not get credit for them.
    http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=2&c=650640

The one sack was not counted because of a penalty & I cannot find it yet, but here is the link to the other one. It was in thae Carolina game;

(1:57) J.Delhomme sacked at CAR 20 for -8 yards (K.Udeze). FUMBLES (K.Udeze), recovered by CAR-M.Wahle at CAR 20.
    It can be found under the FOURTH QUARTER

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20060917_CAR@MIN

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

Thanks Singer.
    Its good to know that the fumble came when he was on the left side.

I am curious if a lot of those backfield tackles came while he was there also.
    I wish NFL stats and the like had that stat, considering how significant it is.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Billy" wrote:
    Thanks Singer.
    Its good to know that the fumble came when he was on the left side.

I am curious if a lot of those backfield tackles came while he was there also.
    I wish NFL stats and the like had that stat, considering how significant it is.
    They do, but you have to dig & do the homework. You'd have to go thru each games play by play to figure it out.

Knowing which game Udeze switched on, you could go to those games play by play stats, cut & paste them into Microsoft word & then do a "FIND" for "Udeze".

It'd make finding them a lot easier.

Or search the lesser of two,"FIND" as I specified above, add up the tackles for a loss & subtract from 13.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123