Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Beware the Pitchman

In their quest for a new, publicly funded stadium, the Minnesota Vikings are in the midst of a full-court press of the Minnesota State Legislature and an assault on the public's collective sensibilities. Given how willing Minnesotans were to support a constitutional amendment to require funding for cultural and outdoors activities and events, it's highly probable that the Vikings ultimately will prevail in this endeavor.
    Beware the Pitchman

Marrdro's comment follows:

Kindof a different spin on things...
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

XTAP59 is offline Coordinator

Re:Beware the Pitchman

I believe time has almost run out. With two plus years to build a stadium, not proposals, environmental impact studies, road improvements, contracts, and legislature approval, the Vikings playing in a new stadium in Minnesota is timed for the 2013 season.

With the lease up after 2011, I believe Wilf moves the team to a more profitable scenario, or sells the team and the owner moves the team to a more profitable scenario.

Sad for us fans, but the NFL is big business.

LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL
    http://lotgk.wordpress.com

Texas Viking is offline Starter

It is pretty sad, this should have been taken care of years ago. Personally, if Minnesota looses the Vikes I canít feel the same about another franchise. Not to sound overdramatic, but Iím from Minnesota, and the Vikings are in my blood. About all I can do is pray the Minnesota legislators pull their heads out their back ends and realize the Vikings deserve to be a part of our legacy. Damn Loki and his trickster ways!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Maybe some day they will have a stadium. I think the city deserves it and needs it. A place like Minnesota losing its football team would be devastating.
    We're bringing purple back.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

XTAP59 wrote:
    I believe time has almost run out. With two plus years to build a stadium, not proposals, environmental impact studies, road improvements, contracts, and legislature approval, the Vikings playing in a new stadium in Minnesota is timed for the 2013 season.

With the lease up after 2011, I believe Wilf moves the team to a more profitable scenario, or sells the team and the owner moves the team to a more profitable scenario.

Sad for us fans, but the NFL is big business.
    Vikings will extend the lease on the Metrodome while waiting for a new stadium to be built... or they could always use the Gophers stadium for a year or two. From what I've read, before they even start considering those sorts of options, they want the stadium being built. They aren't going to do those sorts of things without some gaurantee there's a new shiny stadium at the end of that yellow brick road.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

gregair13 wrote:
    Maybe some day they will have a stadium. I think the city deserves it and needs it. A place like Minnesota losing its football team would be devastating.
    I sometimes wonder how devastating it really would be.

Obviously the MN voting public doesn't think it would be that devastating or this wouldn't even be an issue.

Obviously the MN elected officials don't think it would be devastating or this wouldn't even be an issue.

Only ones I see that this will be devastating for are the rabid fans. Judging by ticket sales, thats about 55,000 or so with a contingent that follow them from afar.

The contingent from afar are mostly people who have never lived in MN with a smattering of poor souls like me who did and now live someplace else.

I for one, based on past experience with the North Stars, will try to follow them if it did happen, but I sure won't have the passion I have for them now.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

$1.2 billion state deficit? No problem, say Vikings stadium proponents
    How in the hell do you get 1.2 Billion in debt at the state level?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't MN one of the heaviest taxed states? I know I was happy the day I retired from the military and changed my state of record (and taxes) to VA.

If its still that high, were is the money going?

Meanwhile, Zygi Wilf spent the weekend in Arizona, where the Vikings faced the Cardinals, and no doubt marveled at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, built at a cost of $455.7 million.
    Sid Hartman: Arizona finds way to build stadiums

Amazingly low price. Mars/others that have been to that stadium........How would you rate it?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    Meanwhile, Zygi Wilf spent the weekend in Arizona, where the Vikings faced the Cardinals, and no doubt marveled at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, built at a cost of $455.7 million.
    Sid Hartman: Arizona finds way to build stadiums

Amazingly low price. Mars/others that have been to that stadium........How would you rate it?
    It looks like they tarped the outside of it on TV.

Also, I have watched a few games and have never seen them open the top. Then what is the sense, Just to say you could if you wanted to?

The price is way cheaper than what the Vikings have submitted, but the design and scale are also dramatically different. I would be fine with using that blueprint minus the sliding top if the Vikings presented it.