Re: Bevell knows it's Childress' game to call

"davike" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Alvarez backs Childress' play calling[/size]

Posted on Fri, Nov. 10, 2006

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

"Let me tell you, anybody that questions his play calling is making a mistake," former University of Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez said this week. "I was on the headset with him for a lot of years. He knows what he's doing, and he knows what his players are capable of doing. That's what people don't understand. It's just not drawing up a play. It's what your players can execute and what you call in different situations."
    Any good coach develops plays that utilize the strengths of their players.
    Many of the problems have been in the execution of the plays, not the play calling.
    The play calling issue is getting as old as the Start Tarvaris issue.
    Not because either of those topics shouldn't have been discussed....but because they have both been proven wrong by the coaches/players quotes themselves or by an analysis of the play calling.

thats true acumen, playcalling is something that can be easily blamed, most of the time its the execution of the play that is messed up. look at the seahawks, they run one of the purest versions of west coast offense, so everyone almost knows what is in their playbook, but they execute it so well that alot of teams can't stop them anyways. i realize that they haven't been that great this year, but look at all the key injuries they have. i have never really questioned playcallin alot, but i still would like to see some other run variations. im not sure whether we should pin the blame on the exection or playcalling, there is a very thin line there and it very hard for the fans to see.
    The play calling line isn't thin at all.
    Del Rio broke down the play calling in another thread that debunked all the theory's of predictable play calling.
    That issue is as dead as the start Tarvaris issue at this juncture of the season if you have been paying attention.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

davike is offline Team Alumni

"Acumen" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

"Let me tell you, anybody that questions his play calling is making a mistake," former University of Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez said this week. "I was on the headset with him for a lot of years. He knows what he's doing, and he knows what his players are capable of doing. That's what people don't understand. It's just not drawing up a play. It's what your players can execute and what you call in different situations."
    Many of the problems have been in the execution of the plays, not the play calling.
    Not because either of those topics shouldn't have been discussed....but because they have both been proven wrong by the coaches/players quotes themselves or by an analysis of the play calling.

thats true acumen, playcalling is something that can be easily blamed, most of the time its the execution of the play that is messed up. look at the seahawks, they run one of the purest versions of west coast offense, so everyone almost knows what is in their playbook, but they execute it so well that alot of teams can't stop them anyways. i realize that they haven't been that great this year, but look at all the key injuries they have. i have never really questioned playcallin alot, but i still would like to see some other run variations. im not sure whether we should pin the blame on the exection or playcalling, there is a very thin line there and it very hard for the fans to see.
    Del Rio broke down the play calling in another thread that debunked all the theory's of predictable play calling.
    That issue is as dead as the start Tarvaris issue at this juncture of the season if you have been paying attention.
    im sorry, i did not see that one. if you have a link handy, that would be great, or just the name of the thread. and if i am wrong i apoligize for posting crap :-\

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"davike" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

im sorry, i did not see that one. if you have a link handy, that would be great, or just the name of the thread. and if i am wrong i apoligize for posting crap :-\
    Never apologize, always be right
    ;D.
    I can't remember the thread, it's another one of those posts that is buried somewhere.
    He just went to NFL.com and looked at all the plays and the downs and summarized them.
    They were not as predictable as some would like to have believed.

========

I think I found one of the posts looking at the play calling on this page:

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=28944.ms g494897#msg494897
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

davike is offline Team Alumni

"Acumen" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "Acumen" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=29040.msg496136#msg496136 date=1163165016]

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Never apologize, always be right
    ;D.
    I can't remember the thread, it's another one of those posts that is buried somewhere.
    He just went to NFL.com and looked at all the plays and the downs and summarized them.
    They were not as predictable as some would like to have believed.
    [/quot e]

sorry im just a maddenite moss crotch sniffer ;D . i realize that the playcalls are random, i have done different things like that in different weeks. and if you read my above post you will see that i am not blaming play calling. i am not dismissing it, but im not blaming it. i expect childress to make a few rookie mistakes right now anyways. but the reason i said there is a fine line between playcalling and execution is because we as fans don't see what play the coach called, all we see is the execution. for all we know, they could be running a different play then the coach called, then we blame the playcall for that.
    maybe childress called an outside run but they pulled it inside on accident or something. you never know.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

You know what I find interesting about all the articles is that all the reporters got their information from the same press conference and all the writers put their "twist" to the story.
    One emphasizes the point that 10 other coaches do the same thing.
    Another almost ignores that point and makes Bevell especially sound like a "Yes Man."
    And on it goes from one writer to another, each with their own ax to grind.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12