Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    All I have to say is......13th......

2012 NFL Team Rushing Stats - National Football League - ESPN

I love the rotation and what they've been doing in the passing game, but still am convinced that if we add a kid like

Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

or

Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

or

Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

and all of our pass defense woes will go away completely and we won't suck so bad on run defense in our base.

Watched a couple of them play this year. Both of them can play the 0 all the way out to the 5 technique. Absolutely amazing.
    If what you say is true, then when we had Pat, Kevin, Ray and Jared our secondary should have had no issues then and that is far from the case. You could make the same case for Detroit with their great linemen and terrible secondary.

No doubt adding an elite DT would help the defense but by the same token adding an elite CB would do as much or more.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Ponder hater. Face it, you won't be happy until they have someone back there that throws it 60 yards every play.

Steve: Ponder only throws short ones.

Marrdro: That's because his only receiver is a slot receiver. By nature that equates to short one.

Steve: No, he should throw it deep to Harvin.

Marrdro: Steve, Harvin, like Welker (who he was tied with in receptions before he went down) was leading the league in receptions. Neither one is used that way.

Steve: No, he should throw it deep to Harvin.

Marrdro: No Steve, they should get him some competent receivers that can run a 4, 5, 6 and 7 route. Then he would throw it deeper.

Steve: No....No...No....Ponder sucks cause he doesnt' throw it deep.

On a side note......

Marrdro: Steve, remember when you were beeyyyyatching about the Chiller not running AD enough? Now you wanna beeyyyatch cause they are running him to much, and winning doing?

Steve: No, Ponder sucks cause he doesnt' throw it deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    OUCH. Marrdro steals one from Caine's playbook and puts together a nice "Singer Zinger"....

Caine
    Apparently then, Caineís playbook has a chapter I missed called ďEmbellishmentĒ which is printed on rubber sheets so it can be stretched & twisted easily to take what was initial said & make it something totally different. It must have replaced the chapter called ďBail OutĒ which hasnít been talked about in a couple of years now.

Had I ever said we need to throw it 60 yards all the time or throw it deep all the time to Harvin there might have been a zing there, but since I didnít, there wasnít.

First off, I donít hate Ponder. Iíd like to see him succeed but at this point, I donít see it happening. I was doubtful at the beginning based on what I have read about him. Saw some things in him I really liked early on in 2011, but he never really developed a lot since then & actually digressed with his mechanics well into his 2nd year.

2ndly Perhaps Marrdro needs to go find this mystery quote where I allegedly claimed Childress wasnít handing off to AD enough.

What I said to Marrdro from before the draft & still say we need is a deep threat WR to stretch the field As I recall Caine too was lobbying for a true deep threat WR in the draft. Since he now thinks Marrdroís little twist on that need seems funny & a zing on someone still realizing that need, apparently heís forgotten it.

This is closer to the fact than the kaka del Rio Marrdroís trying to sell.

Steve: We need to get a deep threat WR who can stretch the field either in FA or the draft & keep defenses honest. Jenkins & Aromashodu just donít fit that mold.

Marrdro: Steve, we donít need a deep threat WR, we need a warpig. We are a short passing team. We are fine with Harvin, Jenkins & Shodu. Did you see the way Shodu stepped up at the end of last season? I think heíll be fine.

Steve: Well here we are well into the season & the need for a deep threat WR, someone that can stretch the field. Ponder is only averaging 5 yards thru the air on his passes. We need to be able to throw it deeper.

Marrdro: We are a WCO offense Steve we donít need to throw it 60 yards on every play. Ponder is accurate throwing bubble passes & 5 yard dumps, so that is what we need to continue to do.

Steve: Marty, having a deep threat receiver doesnít mean you need to throw deep passes on every play. You need to be able to throw deep once in awhile & have a receiver & a QB capable of doing it not only to keep defenses honest, but to take a defender or two with him & out of the box. You also need to throw passes that are 10 to 20 yards out as well. Ponderís passes are from behind the LOS to 5 yards out.

Marrdro: We are completing passes 5 yards out, we donít need to be throwing 60 yards down field every play.

Steve: I never said we need to throw passes 60 yards down field on every down. We need to be able to throw it farther or deeper down field beyond 5 yards. 10-15 yards is deeper than 5 Marty, 15-20 yards is deeper than 5 Marty.

Marty: Steve, we are a WCO team, we canít throw it to Harvin 60 yards down field on every play. We need to throw it 5 yards because thatís Ponderís comfort zone.

Steve: But we are losing games now Marty. We canít expect AD to carry this team by himself every game. We canít continue to face 8-9 men in the box & then try to complete passes to our receivers in that same box all day long. We are getting two predictable. Chances are high we are either handing the ball off to AD or throwing to a ball to a receiver within the box. Defenses have caught on to that and are shutting Ponder down.

Marty: But who is Ponder going to throw to? Our receivers canít get open.

Steve: Thatís bullshit. Receivers are open further down field & Ponder hasnít been throwing to them. If you listen to people who actually go to the games that can see the whole field & see receivers that are open, youíd know that. There was one game where the coverage was pretty good and the announcers stated so, but that doesnít account for all the other games.

Did you read the article I posted? Harvin says that game tape shows that receivers are indeed open, but the plays arenít being made.

Marty: Harvin is talking out of his jiggly butt. I have a wide screen TV so now I can see more of the field than I previously could. So in the portion of the field that I can see, I constantly have 1 eye on all the OL to see whoís filling which gap & if the guards are pulling & with the other trained eye I canít see the other receivers getting open. Iím doing all this & still managing to jot down my spreadsheet notes.

Steve: Youíre only seeing a portion of the field on TV Marrdro. Youíre not seeing the entire playing field on every play, only part of it.

Marrdro: Well if thatís true, then Musgrove must not be calling passes to those receivers. Fire Musgrove! Heís not calling plays to utilize Ponderís strengths.

Steve: He is doing just that Marrdro. Heís having Ponder mostly hand off to AD & throwing balls at the LOS or 5 yards beyond. Those are his strengths.

Have you been watching Ponder throw down field Marrdro? Beyond 10 yards he can throw some accurate balls, but many times theyíre either far short of the target, way off to the left or right of the target or if caught, wouldnít have been inbounds. Musgrave doesnít want to call those passes because Ponder has trouble making those throws.

Marrdro: Steve, Ponder anticipates where the receivers are supposed to be and puts the ball right where itís supposed to be. If itís way off to the left or right, the stupid receiver didnít make his cut & isnít running his route correctly. I blame the receiver. it was a beautiful pass by Ponder.

If itís short of the receiver, then Ponder anticipated the coverage & threw way short of him intentionally. The stupid receiver was supposed to break off his route & come back for the ball. The ball was put right where it was supposed to be. I blame the receiver.

Steve: What about that pass to AD down the sidelines. AD was wide open, had his man beat & Ponder couldnít hit him in stride. Instead he nailed that Puker player in the back.

Marrdro: He hit a player deep down field didnít he? Now your beeyatching about that.

Steve: Ponder has looked terrible for several games now. I think itís time for a new QB. He just canít throw beyond 10 yards with any consistent accuracy. Heís throwing 5 yard passes, because those are the only kinds of passes he can throw with consistent accuracy. I hope he proves me wrong in the final games, but I donít think he will.

Ponder hater! You canít expect him to throw 60 yards to Harvin every time! He just needs more time! He needs better receivers!

Steve: Marty, Iíve been telling you we need better receivers since before FA. You werenít buying it, thought we were fine & thought the much bigger need was a warpig.

Marty: We need a new OC & Ponder will be fine he just needs more starts!

Now I will take a play right out of Caineís playbookÖ.

Steve: Heís had 20 starts already! (scratch that & make it 25 starts already) How many starts does he need?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    My prediction before the season was in the 6-10 to 7-9 area. I found a way in which they could win 9 games but didn't really believe it. Pleasantly surprised!
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    i can't remember my exact prediction, but i believe it was in the 8-8 or 7-9 range. So yes, I'm another fan who has been pleasently surprised, not to mention, some of our wins this year blew my mind. our wins over the 49'ers and texans, both i would have beat where going to be L's for us and at the beggining of the season, I would have bet we split with the Lions, not sweep them. This week, I'm all Vikings!!!!!! If we can control the game, like we did last week, I see no reason that we can't take the pack to the wood shed and leave them there, on our way to the playoffs......

My prediction Vikings 28 Pack 25 yes, we win with a 50 plus yard field goal by Walsh...hahahahahahha

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    I'm very surprised (and happy) at how the Vikings have done this season. I was one of the 6-10 group and would have been ok with that after 3-13. I simply did not think Peterson was going to come back like he did. It usually takes a full season for a back to regain form after an injuury like that but AD was pretty much full speed after a game or two. MVP for sure- we don't do anything without him. Defense, particularly the secondary, has improved enough to win games on its own (see Houston). I've been down on Ponder but even he showed a little Sunday- a couple of his throws were first class. Another thing I really like about this team is the don't quit attitude- they keep coming. Guarded optimism for this coming Sunday- but we should have kicked GB's butt last time. I expect a helluva game.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Apparently then, Caineís playbook has a chapter I missed called ďEmbellishmentĒ which is printed on rubber sheets so it can be stretched & twisted easily to take what was initial said & make it something totally different. It must have replaced the chapter called ďBail OutĒ which hasnít been talked about in a couple of years now.

Had I ever said we need to throw it 60 yards all the time or throw it deep all the time to Harvin there might have been a zing there, but since I didnít, there wasnít.

First off, I donít hate Ponder. Iíd like to see him succeed but at this point, I donít see it happening. I was doubtful at the beginning based on what I have read about him. Saw some things in him I really liked early on in 2011, but he never really developed a lot since then & actually digressed with his mechanics well into his 2nd year.

2ndly Perhaps Marrdro needs to go find this mystery quote where I allegedly claimed Childress wasnít handing off to AD enough.

What I said to Marrdro from before the draft & still say we need is a deep threat WR to stretch the field As I recall Caine too was lobbying for a true deep threat WR in the draft. Since he now thinks Marrdroís little twist on that need seems funny & a zing on someone still realizing that need, apparently heís forgotten it.

This is closer to the fact than the kaka del Rio Marrdroís trying to sell.

Steve: We need to get a deep threat WR who can stretch the field either in FA or the draft & keep defenses honest. Jenkins & Aromashodu just donít fit that mold.

Marrdro: Steve, we donít need a deep threat WR, we need a warpig. We are a short passing team. We are fine with Harvin, Jenkins & Shodu. Did you see the way Shodu stepped up at the end of last season? I think heíll be fine.

Steve: Well here we are well into the season & the need for a deep threat WR, someone that can stretch the field. Ponder is only averaging 5 yards thru the air on his passes. We need to be able to throw it deeper.

Marrdro: We are a WCO offense Steve we donít need to throw it 60 yards on every play. Ponder is accurate throwing bubble passes & 5 yard dumps, so that is what we need to continue to do.

Steve: Marty, having a deep threat receiver doesnít mean you need to throw deep passes on every play. You need to be able to throw deep once in awhile & have a receiver & a QB capable of doing it not only to keep defenses honest, but to take a defender or two with him & out of the box. You also need to throw passes that are 10 to 20 yards out as well. Ponderís passes are from behind the LOS to 5 yards out.

Marrdro: We are completing passes 5 yards out, we donít need to be throwing 60 yards down field every play.

Steve: I never said we need to throw passes 60 yards down field on every down. We need to be able to throw it farther or deeper down field beyond 5 yards. 10-15 yards is deeper than 5 Marty, 15-20 yards is deeper than 5 Marty.

Marty: Steve, we are a WCO team, we canít throw it to Harvin 60 yards down field on every play. We need to throw it 5 yards because thatís Ponderís comfort zone.

Steve: But we are losing games now Marty. We canít expect AD to carry this team by himself every game. We canít continue to face 8-9 men in the box & then try to complete passes to our receivers in that same box all day long. We are getting two predictable. Chances are high we are either handing the ball off to AD or throwing to a ball to a receiver within the box. Defenses have caught on to that and are shutting Ponder down.

Marty: But who is Ponder going to throw to? Our receivers canít get open.

Steve: Thatís bullshit. Receivers are open further down field & Ponder hasnít been throwing to them. If you listen to people who actually go to the games that can see the whole field & see receivers that are open, youíd know that. There was one game where the coverage was pretty good and the announcers stated so, but that doesnít account for all the other games.

Did you read the article I posted? Harvin says that game tape shows that receivers are indeed open, but the plays arenít being made.

Marty: Harvin is talking out of his jiggly butt. I have a wide screen TV so now I can see more of the field than I previously could. So in the portion of the field that I can see, I constantly have 1 eye on all the OL to see whoís filling which gap & if the guards are pulling & with the other trained eye I canít see the other receivers getting open. Iím doing all this & still managing to jot down my spreadsheet notes.

Steve: Youíre only seeing a portion of the field on TV Marrdro. Youíre not seeing the entire playing field on every play, only part of it.

Marrdro: Well if thatís true, then Musgrove must not be calling passes to those receivers. Fire Musgrove! Heís not calling plays to utilize Ponderís strengths.

Steve: He is doing just that Marrdro. Heís having Ponder mostly hand off to AD & throwing balls at the LOS or 5 yards beyond. Those are his strengths.

Have you been watching Ponder throw down field Marrdro? Beyond 10 yards he can throw some accurate balls, but many times theyíre either far short of the target, way off to the left or right of the target or if caught, wouldnít have been inbounds. Musgrave doesnít want to call those passes because Ponder has trouble making those throws.

Marrdro: Steve, Ponder anticipates where the receivers are supposed to be and puts the ball right where itís supposed to be. If itís way off to the left or right, the stupid receiver didnít make his cut & isnít running his route correctly. I blame the receiver. it was a beautiful pass by Ponder.

If itís short of the receiver, then Ponder anticipated the coverage & threw way short of him intentionally. The stupid receiver was supposed to break off his route & come back for the ball. The ball was put right where it was supposed to be. I blame the receiver.

Steve: What about that pass to AD down the sidelines. AD was wide open, had his man beat & Ponder couldnít hit him in stride. Instead he nailed that Puker player in the back.

Marrdro: He hit a player deep down field didnít he? Now your beeyatching about that.

Steve: Ponder has looked terrible for several games now. I think itís time for a new QB. He just canít throw beyond 10 yards with any consistent accuracy. Heís throwing 5 yard passes, because those are the only kinds of passes he can throw with consistent accuracy. I hope he proves me wrong in the final games, but I donít think he will.

Ponder hater! You canít expect him to throw 60 yards to Harvin every time! He just needs more time! He needs better receivers!

Steve: Marty, Iíve been telling you we need better receivers since before FA. You werenít buying it, thought we were fine & thought the much bigger need was a warpig.

Marty: We need a new OC & Ponder will be fine he just needs more starts!

Now I will take a play right out of Caineís playbookÖ.

Steve: Heís had 20 starts already! (scratch that & make it 25 starts already) How many starts does he need?
    You lost we were I said "We don't need a WR we need a Warpig". I have always said that we needed WR's, my point was I would get a warpig first.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    If what you say is true, then when we had Pat, Kevin, Ray and Jared our secondary should have had no issues then and that is far from the case. You could make the same case for Detroit with their great linemen and terrible secondary.

No doubt adding an elite DT would help the defense but by the same token adding an elite CB would do as much or more.
    How many more DB's do we need to keep adding then? Maybe the guys we are adding just aren't elite enough cause we sure seem to add a glut of them every year and the problem is still there.

How about we try a warpig, just once?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    You lost we were I said "We don't need a WR we need a Warpig". I have always said that we needed WR's, my point was I would get a warpig first.
    You had "one of your posts" when I & others suggested signing a top WR in FA. WR's were one of the last needs on your list.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    i thought this season would be an easy season due to an easy schedule. I was right. However, I doubted that we would win this many games because we have thrown so many away to bad teams. I was right again as we gifted a couple to some really average teams there. Colts and TB wins come to mind.
    Have you met Carly Simon?

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    How many more DB's do we need to keep adding then? Maybe the guys we are adding just aren't elite enough cause we sure seem to add a glut of them every year and the problem is still there.

How about we try a warpig, just once?
    Yes, we keep adding secondary players that end up off the roster in a few years because we don't draft the right guys. Smith is a good start towards fixing that. If we add a warpig and they suck as bad as the secondary talent had been onver the past 7 years you will see the same result.

We already had the warpig and as noted, the secondary still looked bad. Why not try fixing that and see if the DL looks better.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123