Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post
    I went back and reread some old threads the other day thinking of making a thread like this. the differences between the last few years and this season are visible across the board. as much as people think slickrick should be ousted, i'll stick to what he's proven to be a rebuild that has the looks of a major upgrade.

i'll start with our Special Teams. wow, this has to be the biggest turn around this season. Walsh is flat out performing just as advertised with the accuracy of a vet. The tackling, focus on the ball, and lack of penelties really has been improved. I havn't gone back and looked this up, but I don't remember more then maybe 2,3 KR/PR's that really went 30+, yet while we had PH his avg was 35+. CK had a few misshaps, maybe even a funk, but he pulled out of it and again kept up his standard hang time, distance, and even accuracy.

SPT coach.. bigP.. KEEEEEEEEEEP HIM!! i like a guy who will try different things because he feels he can get better results then @ the 20. Great job with this phaze of the team!

D
    started fast, plateau, rose again, plateaued again, and now kept the #1 seed in the afc to 0 TD's and 2 FG's.

the bend but don't break seemed to work! Smith has proven to be a GREAT pick. his attitude is there, his skills are there, now he just needs to learn to read plays a bit faster and better and this kid will anchor our S's for years to come. It was obvious that Cook's absence was detrimental to our CB's. but winny and crew stepped up, and with Cook back. it's not a shut down completly CB group but it's promising! Lb's we need some improvement, but that being said, Greenway is a stud, get another to play with him and we have a VERY fierce group. the DL is forming, imagin if we had a WaTT style DT to play with Kwill.. Rob, Grif, JA have had a #%@$% good season. they might not have all the stats, and there were some up/down games, but add to this rotation and you have DE position locked.

D Cord.. ohh yeah he's earned it! Keep him, help him build those last pieces and tear the O's apart!!

O
    AP/TG for me are still the best 1/2 combo out there. nothing really needs said here

TE's started seeing JC finally make plays, and with Rudy being a Stud we have a real TE combo ahead of us, with the Rookie even stepping up for his future flyinsaucer replacement position.

WR we need improvement.. we hav an avg group of NFL wr's.. that means yes they have talent, yes they have the ability to catch.. PH was showing off until he got hurt, we onnly got to really see wright in the end, and childs still has yet to prove he can be that redzone, jump ball, sideline threat. FA and Draft will fill this need this year and watch things unfold!

OL thoughout the year there's been a lot of focus on the L/R T's. BigLoad and MK have really done well for the most part, some early penelties but those were cleaned up as of late. Piece by piece I think this OL is coming along, Sully really picked up his game, and maybe a high end G will give this line the pushing power it needs to open lanes, and protect the qb.

QB
    lot of things to think on, but really. Ponder unless we pull of a major trade has earned the right to be the QB next year. is he improving? yes, not as fast as maybe he should, but it's showing. webb, maybe move him to WR, bring up MBT and maybe look for a vet? or a up n comer. i think though MBT will be the groomed one in a year or two that will shine for us.

OC rusty musty.. what to do.. what to do.. some good calls, some great calls, some #$%#$! stupid ones.. is there a learning curve? sure.. is this getting better? was last week. .show consistancy, keep being creative, and bring this team where it should be. next year could be your launching year, or sacking year.

HC.. i'm sold.. keep him around, keep giving this team a style and consistant effort and we have a winning franchise.

DiGiTaL
    Top shelf my friend, as always, top shelf indeed.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Ponder hater. Face it, you won't be happy until they have someone back there that throws it 60 yards every play.

Steve: Ponder only throws short ones.

Marrdro: That's because his only receiver is a slot receiver. By nature that equates to short one.

Steve: No, he should throw it deep to Harvin.

Marrdro: Steve, Harvin, like Welker (who he was tied with in receptions before he went down) was leading the league in receptions. Neither one is used that way.

Steve: No, he should throw it deep to Harvin.

Marrdro: No Steve, they should get him some competent receivers that can run a 4, 5, 6 and 7 route. Then he would throw it deeper.

Steve: No....No...No....Ponder sucks cause he doesnt' throw it deep.

On a side note......

Marrdro: Steve, remember when you were beeyyyyatching about the Chiller not running AD enough? Now you wanna beeyyyatch cause they are running him to much, and winning doing?

Steve: No, Ponder sucks cause he doesnt' throw it deep.
    OUCH. Marrdro steals one from Caine's playbook and puts together a nice "Singer Zinger"...

From where I sit....

I still think that AD carries this entire team too much. I do NOT like our HC or OC at all, but our record means they will be around again next season.

If they want to keep their jobs, they need to do what I said LAST season and GET SOME RECEIVERS!!!!!! Marrdro is right (yes...I threw up a little bit as I typed that), Harvin is a slot guy, and we have no true deep weapons. Without them, Ponder is screwed.

That said, Ponder has played some HORRIBLE games this season. he can't do that and stay in the NFL. The difference between him and Jackson, however, is that he IS a factor, not an afterthought, in these games.

The "D" could be better, but they're strong enough to support a good Offense....too bad we don't have one.

Caine

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    The "D" could be better, but they're strong enough to support a good Offense....too bad we don't have one.

Caine
    Did you really just say that right after Sunday's game against Houston? Granted, they don't play that complete every game, but no defense does. It's a part of the game. To say our D is "strong enough to support a good Offense", when our D has been supporting a weak offense all season for a potential 10-6, playoff team seems misinformed to me.

Merry Christmas
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    i thought this season would be an easy season due to an easy schedule. I was right. However, I doubted that we would win this many games because we have thrown so many away to bad teams. I was right again as we gifted a couple to some really average teams there. Colts and TB wins come to mind.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Have you noticed that the combo of Ballard, Griff, Rob and ole K-dubb are actually getting to the QB? Our DB's are still standing back there in their zones for the most part. If you doubt me, go back, look at Smitty's last INT. He was just standing there 10 yards past the receiver.

Has the Backend looked better this year? Hell yes, but our front end has been getting it done at times as well.
    They are playing much like they did last year when you were pining for the warpig ans stating they were the only problem on the defense. The LB's are about the same. The secondary has gotten better and Smith is a big reason. I would have liked to have Jenoris jenkins but certainly like what we got in Smith too so that is a wash. That being said we still need to build up the secondary to be able to compete with the Packers and the other top passing teams in the league. Nice start though.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    They are playing much like they did last year when you were pining for the warpig ans stating they were the only problem on the defense. The LB's are about the same. The secondary has gotten better and Smith is a big reason. I would have liked to have Jenoris jenkins but certainly like what we got in Smith too so that is a wash. That being said we still need to build up the secondary to be able to compete with the Packers and the other top passing teams in the league. Nice start though.

Come on now Floyd. You know that the success or failure of the passing defense is all predicated on the defensive line. The secondary is merely a benefactor one way or the other. We could pick any random group of players to suit up in our secondary and expect the same results.

Sorry Marrdro, but you do tend to downplay the role of the secondary. Even though I know you know they all need to do their role to have success. Good coverage tends to lead to more pressure, good pressure tends to lead to better pass coverage......

I think Harrison is a huge part of the difference we are seeing in our pass defense. Secondary play and more specifically safety play has been less than adequate for us over the last number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    All I have to say is......13th......

2012 NFL Team Rushing Stats - National Football League - ESPN

I love the rotation and what they've been doing in the passing game, but still am convinced that if we add a kid like

Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

or

Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

or

Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

and all of our pass defense woes will go away completely and we won't suck so bad on run defense in our base.

Watched a couple of them play this year. Both of them can play the 0 all the way out to the 5 technique. Absolutely amazing.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Come on now Floyd. You know that the success or failure of the passing defense is all predicated on the defensive line. The secondary is merely a benefactor one way or the other. We could pick any random group of players to suit up in our secondary and expect the same results.

Sorry Marrdro, but you do tend to downplay the role of the secondary. Even though I know you know they all need to do their role to have success. Good coverage tends to lead to more pressure, good pressure tends to lead to better pass coverage......

I think Harrison is a huge part of the difference we are seeing in our pass defense. Secondary play and more specifically safety play has been less than adequate for us over the last number of years.
    I know it sounds like I down play it, but I really don't. I understand the importance of it, but I also know that when teams are consistently in 2nd and shorts, 3rd and shorts because we are getting gouged via the run that our DB's are going to get ate up just like I know that when yo allow a QB as much time as we've given guys like Rodgers this year, they are going to get ate up as well.

Long story short, if we had all the "Coverage Sacks" that we should have had this year, JA and company would have huge numbers again. Instead we've consistently allowed QB's to run around in the backfield for what seems like an eternity (they threw a 9 second clock on Rodgers vs us this year) while our run defense also goes south.

Fix the warpig issue and that stuff goes away. If you don't we will still be a top 10 defense, but just barely.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Braddock View Post
    Originally Posted by Caine

Caine
    Did you really just say that right after Sunday's game against Houston? Granted, they don't play that complete every game, but no defense does. It's a part of the game. To say our D is "strong enough to support a good Offense", when our D has been supporting a weak offense all season for a potential 10-6, playoff team seems misinformed to me.

Merry Christmas
    Yep...I said it, and I meant exactly what I said.

The "D" has been good. If we had a "Good" Offense, we'd be in GREAT shape.

Too bad we DON'T have a good Offense. (23rd overall, 32nd in passing, 3rd in Rushing)

What part of that seems "misinformed"?

Caine

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    The real point here is simply, everyone expected the Vikings to have improvement, that was it. There were lol's when it was stated we might have a winning season in '12. Of course the rebuild isn't finished. we knew that coming into the season, it'll be '14 before this team has completed it's tooling and puts a finished product on the field for the next 5-10 years. that is if we keep Frazier as the HC, and slickRick as GM.

what we got this year was a team that has passed expectations. no matter if we win/loose vs GB.. we have a winning record, AND a viable shot @ the playoffs. Dad said we'd surprise people this year, stating that players would come out extra hungry due to the 3 win season. He noted several times as does Frazier that we had more participation in off season things then we've prolly seen since it was made optional to the stars..

as a TEAM, i ahve to give credit from top to bottom. they've improved past my expectations, do they still need work.. HELL YEAH" but.. we can identify that work now as pieces.. and not.. "The Secondary" or.. the "O-line" and it seems the coaches we have.. really can coach.

i'm excited for the last game because it has MEANING!! i'm watching other teams because it has meaning to us.. in making the playoffs, as well as who the road holds to the SB. just for me to have that.. is a vast improvement over the last 3 seasons, and yes they are better then I expected.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast