Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

Best QB in Vikings History?

I hate to say it! BUT! Its Daunte Culpepper... Not only does he hold all the vikings passing records.. In 2004 he threw for 4,800 yards and 39 touchdowns.

I know you guys will yell fran this fran that, but fran wasnt half the QB or Athlete as Culpepper.

I pray that Ponder tosses for 3k yards let alone almost 5k. I know Culpepper also played in Mike Tices Vertical Shotgun offense, so that helped too.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    This is a difficult question and I see where you're coming from. Culpepper put on the best numbers of any Vikings QB, but he also had arguably the best receivers to throw to. Not just in team history, but league history. (Although he only had Cris Carter for two seasons, Randy Moss was perfect for Culpepper)

Fran Tarkenton also had a good team around him, but those times were different and we can't compare the passing numbers back then to today's numbers. I wonder how he would perform in today's league and I doubt he would do very good as the defense is much better against the scrambling QB today. The level of competition is higher, players are faster and smarter. One thing is for sure, Fran was exciting to watch and him and Randall Cunningham may be the most exciting Vikings QB's to watch.

If you ask Cris Carter, who played with both Cunningham and Culpepper, he would say Warren Moon is the best he has ever played with. Moon held the record for most passing touchdowns and pass completions in professional football until surpassed by Brett Favre in 2007.

Talking about the devil, Brett Favre deserves a thought too. He only had one good season, but it challenges Culpepper for the best season by a Vikings QB.

Culpepper's best year: 2004
    Passing yards: 4,717, TD: 39, INT: 11 Rating: 110.9

Brett Favre's best year: 2009
    Passing yards: 4,202 TD: 33 INT: 7 Rating: 107.2

I was gonna make a top 5 list, but it's too hard.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    He also holds the record for most houses foreclosed on in a single year by a [once] Vikings QB.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    Tarvaris
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Brett Favre

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Jeff George

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

If my teammate wore a competing teams hat, I would call him out. Pretty sure Willis, Smith, Bowman, etc. see it that way. And, VERY sure Harbaugh does too. Kap won't be wearing any Dolphins caps anytime soon would be my guess.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Huh?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    If my teammate wore a competing teams hat, I would call him out. Pretty sure Willis, Smith, Bowman, etc. see it that way. And, VERY sure Harbaugh does too. Kap won't be wearing any Dolphins caps anytime soon would be my guess.
    Well articulated and to the point!

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Well articulated and to the point!
    Id have to say Boozenose Tommy Kramer.. No one does a radio interview at 7 am with a bag on like Tommy. Without the booze the guy would have been the best we had. He was one bad drunk though. I know people that drank with him and the guy would get just obliverated...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast