Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Best draft ever

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Don't forget Ballard as well as Guion. I think alot of people hack on Guion when they don't understand that he is really being forced to play out of position.

Regardless, Guion, Ballard, D and the Sheriff will give us a very nice rotation, as you said, for years to come.

Throw in what you can do with Griff (outside at RDE or LDE/Inside at the 3) and Rob (RDE or LDE inside at the 3) rotate Sheriff and Ballard outside to RDE/LDE etc. Dang if that wouldn't make my head hurt (if I was a C) watching those cats switching spots just before the snap.
    I like the sounds of that but we will most likely lose Robison after this year, Kwill after this year and maybe Allen. Big transition after this year to our D-line!! I will predict we keep Griffen, he is really coming on and let Robison go (why not trade him this year and get something). Kwill will move on and we won't get anyhting for him. And what do you do with JA and his contract negotiation, another player lost without any compensation.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Anyone who thinks Shariff was drafted to replace K-dubb doesn't understand the difference between a 3 and a 1 tech.
    this includes me, I don't understand any of the tech's..would love to hear the differences..

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    this includes me, I don't understand any of the tech's..would love to hear the differences..
    I have a real nice thread on it here. Let me search for it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Who cares if he isn't a down field target right away? We need help were he is going to help us right away and thats on the intermediate routes and in the end zone.
    By downfield, I meant off the line of scrimmage as in running routes beyond the line of scrimmage. Wasn't specifically referring to deep routes, but any routes other than screens, slants, reverses, lining up in the backfield ala Percy, or returning kicks/punts

As a pass receiver, I expect a fair amount of inconsistency.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Don't forget Ballard as well as Guion. I think alot of people hack on Guion when they don't understand that he is really being forced to play out of position.
    LOL! You were one of those hacking on Guion last offseason. You & I went a few rounds on that one.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    I don't know why they just don't use the terms RDE. LDE, NT & DT. Same when it comes to pass routes. Why use a number or letter when many fans here don't now what the numbers mean. PP.o has a huge fan base & not everyone has played football.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I don't know why they just don't use the terms RDE. LDE, NT & DT. Same when it comes to pass routes. Why use a number or letter when many fans here don't now what the numbers mean. PP.o has a huge fan base & not everyone has played football.
    I guess because the numbers are more exact as to where the d-linemen line up. A NT doesn't tell you where he is in regards to the center or guard. For example, if he is at a 0 tech (NT) is directly over the center, however, if he is a 1 tech (NT) he is in the gap between the center and guard. And so on, so calling someone a NT doesn't align them in the proper gap or over the head of the O-linemen. I think Marrdro may be able to explain it better though.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

LOL! You were one of those hacking on Guion last offseason. You & I went a few rounds on that one.
    I hack on all players making mistakes. I think if you go back and look you will see that those instances were when he was lined up at the 3 and Kevin was at the 1.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

You don't have to have football experience to learn something new (and in great detail) about the game.

Just posted another thread with a couple of links. One of which shows the alignments (which is all the tech really is) in the general football forum.

Besides, the whole game is predicated on learning the "Verbiage".... Learning what a X, Y and Z WR is or a 1 Tech DT doesn't even scratch the surface....

Gruden: "You know some of the verbiage in the NFL, I don't know how it was at Auburn, but it gets long. You've got the shifts, the plays, the protections, the snap count, the alerts, the check-with-me's. I mean, 'flip right double-X jet 36 counter naked wagglet seven X quarter.' Call something at Auburn that's a little verbal. What would be a little verbal? Any recollection on that? Give me something. What does an Auburn play sound like?"

Newton: "Oh man, you put me on the spot."

Gruden: "You guys don't get in the huddle much though, right?"

Indeed, Newton went on to explain that most plays he called during his one season at Auburn were signaled with a card from the sideline. The card might only say "36."
    I thought it was pretty funny during that exchange that a QB coming out of college, as highly rated as Newton, couldn't even make the simplest of play calls.

A dramatic example of NFL verbiage - NFC North Blog - ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I guess because the numbers are more exact as to where the d-linemen line up. A NT doesn't tell you where he is in regards to the center or guard. For example, if he is at a 0 tech (NT) is directly over the center, however, if he is a 1 tech (NT) he is in the gap between the center and guard. And so on, so calling someone a NT doesn't align them in the proper gap or over the head of the O-linemen. I think Marrdro may be able to explain it better though.
    Nope, you explained it perfectly.

Is it really necessary to break it down to that detail? Probably not, but when we start to get into discussions about such things as how our G's suck, it makes it easier to explain why they don't (at least on a given play) if you can point out things like pre-snap alignments, reads and eventually (for this point) helmet placement of the G on his initial block.

On a side note, now that we can see those things from the "All 22" and "End Zone" camera angles it greatly enhances after game analysis and ultimately discussions like this at the water cooler (or PPO Page)

Coaches Film - Watch "All-22" video footage of every play! - NFL.com

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast