Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best draft ever

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    I can only speak for myself, but what I think Purple Floyd also means is that this is the best draft in Vikings history when purely looking at who we got WITHOUT seeing them play first. I'm not sure, but I don't think the Vikings have ever landed three players that each have been ranked either at the top or top 3 at their respective position. And especially when all of them has been relatively big needs.
    The economist in me always looks at opportunity costs. The Vikings did draft three players that were high on many boards, but they also gave up a major threat at wide receiver (Harvin) and whatever their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks would bring to the table. In those other drafts, they did not give up so much to get the players. In most cases, they just drafted well.

Am I happy with the players the Vikings picked, yes. Am I happy with the way they did it, not really.

On the other hand, I have stated that great teams are built with great players and a supporting cast. If the Vikings really did get value by picking up three blue chips, then the moves will have been for the better. Red chip supporting players and white chip depth players are easier to fill in free agency than blue chips.

The problem is that this draft is all on paper. We do not know any or all of these players will bust. Trading one draft pick for two or three other picks is always a danger if for no other reason than having more high pick player in camp helps smooth out the boom/bust curve.

All three of these players dropped because of potential downsides. Sharrif Floyd has short arms, a high bubble, and does not get a consist push into the backfield. Xavier Rhodes can bump and cover man-up, but he has not show he can cover in space in zone situations. Cordarrelle Patterson has the size and moves, but he catches with the body far too often, and his route running is not great. All of them have shown they can play well in college and have NFL potential, but none of them are without weaknesses that could bust them at the higher level.

Best draft ever? We will see.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    I can only speak for myself, but what I think Purple Floyd also means is that this is the best draft in Vikings history when purely looking at who we got WITHOUT seeing them play first. I'm not sure, but I don't think the Vikings have ever landed three players that each have been ranked either at the top or top 3 at their respective position. And especially when all of them has been relatively big needs.
    He may mean that, but that's still misleading because you're looking at all the other drafts in hindsight, rather than the day after the draft.

2003 for example had us taking Kevin Williams, E.J. Henderson, Nate Burleson & Onterrio Smith.

Smith, now known as the Whizzinator was more commonly referred to the "Steal Of the Draft" back then.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    He may mean that, but that's still misleading because you're looking at all the other drafts in hindsight, rather than the day after the draft.

2003 for example had us taking Kevin Williams, E.J. Henderson, Nate Burleson & Onterrio Smith.

Smith, now known as the Whizzinator was more commonly referred to the "Steal Of the Draft" back then.
    Many fans and pundits thought Williams to be a reach. He ended up a high value player.

Smith was the steal of the draft. He stole the pick and pissed it away.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Smith was the steal of the draft. He stole the pick and pissed it away.
    Lame Joke Drums - Rimshot (For use in forums) - YouTube

I'm absolutely thrilled with the draft. Obviously these guys need to prove themselves on the field, but you can't fault Spielman for being aggressive and going after guys he liked.

Really hope we can get Justin Hunter too... but he'll definitely be gone by the third round.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

If we can come out of this draft with Kenjon Barner also... it will be my absolute favorite draft ever. I'll never say another bad word about our front office again.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    The Vikings appeared to be true to their board with the first two picks. The third pick they must have placed a very high value on to make the trade that they did, I'm a bit mixed on this one. Mostly because of the risk associated with the player and the opportunity cost to get him.

What stands out to me with those three picks is that they are all extremely athletic, maybe the most athletic for their respective positions in this draft.

I think they will all have a significant impact in 2013 which you would expect for first rounders.

Patterson is a bit of a wildcard, but with Ponder as our QB and our ability to develop WR's, does anyone doubt that Patterson won't quickly reach his true potential in a short period of time? At least we know Ponder's favorite throw will live on...right Singer.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Patterson is a bit of a wildcard, but with Ponder as our QB and our ability to develop WR's, does anyone doubt that Patterson won't quickly reach his true potential in a short period of time? At least we know Ponder's favorite throw will live on...right Singer.
    Yeah, I almost would have rather drafted Justin Hunter over Patterson... but I'm still thrilled.

Any WR drafted is going to be a wildcard until they hit the field.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Yeah, I almost would have rather drafted Justin Hunter over Patterson... but I'm still thrilled.

Patterson will give us instant production, however, it probably won't be a consistent down field target for a while. Don't have a problem with the pick, but they did gamble fairly heavy on him.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Patterson will give us instant production, however, it probably won't be a consistent down field target for a while. Don't have a problem with the pick, but they did gamble fairly heavy on him.
    I believe the Vikings will use Patterson on kick returns from the get go and ease him in as a receiver. That is how it is done with most receivers anyway, so it is no big change.

I actually expect more impact in 2014 from these guys than in 2013. Floyd is an undertackle, and he will play behind Kevin Williams as a rookie. Corner and receiver are positions that usually play out in their second or third season.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    In your 13,000+ posts, this might be the single smartest thing you've ever written on PPO.

Congrats!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast