Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Perch56 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Best battles brewing on the Vikings' depth chart

the best battles are going to be for the safety spot followed by the DEs. we have good talent at both of those postions.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

Former Vikings coach Mike Tice used to talk about the similarities he saw between Johnson and former Vikings All-Pro guard Randall McDaniel

yeah because hes a guard NOT a tackle, when will they start to realize this?

Thanks josdin00

"tb04512" wrote:
    Former Vikings coach Mike Tice used to talk about the similarities he saw between Johnson and former Vikings All-Pro guard Randall McDaniel

Ive wondered this too. If Johnson is solid at guard put him in there for Hicks, why try and make him something he isnt.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"WinonaVike" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:

Ive wondered this too. If Johnson is solid at guard put him in there for Hicks, why try and make him something he isnt.
    Because Hicks is one of "Childress' Guys."

Duh
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Marcus was a guard in coolege.
    And he was originally supposed to be a guard for us i believe.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"tb04512" wrote:

I don't know when they will, but I've been saying it about once a week.

"tb04512" wrote:

Just because Johnson played guard most of the time in college doesn't mean he should be playing guard in the NFL.
    Tice actually started him at guard his rookie season, but something happened.
    He got owned.
    He simply wasn't strong enough at that point to handle NFL defensive tackles.
    Tice was the one that moved him to tackle at the end of his rookie season.
    Childress has merely kept him there (http://vikings.scout.com/2/548899.html).

I don't know if he would do better at guard now, but I think the current administration likes him at tackle.
    I trust their judgment in this matter much more than I trust the reasons put forth by those that want him back at guard.

Also, just so people know, he was projected to either position coming out of college (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/johnson_marcus).
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter

I do believe that M. Johnson was indeed drafted to play guard. This is where he is a better player, and would definitely do a better job that A. Hicks. Hicks is a joke. He is an ok pass protector, at best, and is an a very lacking run blocker. M. Johnson is a much better pass protector, especially moving to the interior of the line, and is a developing bullduzer as a run blocker. I think that Cook has shown that he has the ability to play the tackle position, and will improve with experience. I believe that if the Vikings were to start B. McKinnie, S. Hutchinson, M. Birk, M. Johnson, & R. Cook and have J. Kleinsasser at TE, it would allow the rest of the offense to improve through experience by creating some sort of foundation to start from. The running game would be better than it was last year, far better, and the passing game would at least have the best possible protection.

As long as our 3rd down play this year isn't a throw for negative yardage I will at least be able to consider that improvements were made.

As far as QB: Tjack should be given the opportunity to show what he can do. His starts were at the end of a fledgling season. And I for one am not quick to forget how exciting it was to watch him through lazers when he was brought in at different times as a relief to the old timer. I think that Tjack disserves to have at least as much excitement surrounding him as there was last yeat when he was drafted.

CB: McCauley should win this battle with athleticism. The best part of this battle is that either way we have a pretty solid group of CBs on the field no matter what situation it is. Our Dime coverage should be much stronger than it was last year.

DE: Both these battles I view as pretty wide open. I can only hope that Udeze returns to previous form and that James stays healthy. Otherwise, we still have some good depth, but not any stand out playmaker.

WR: I honestly don'y know what to say about our WR situation. I like to think that the issue has been respectably addressed, but only time and results can tell. I will just continue to cross my finger, say my prayers, and hope for the best.

S: It's all good!

duvaldomo is offline Coach

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Vikestand" wrote:
    I am going to be fired up if they don't let T-Will start. That was the whole point of NOT picking up a QB this offseason. I mean if he wasnt slated to start then why would we not have picked Brady Quinn?
    Because we had the 7th overall and Quinn went 22nd overall. And because Peterson should have been a top5 pick. And because the coaching staff like tjack and bollinger. And because tjack even if not ready now should be ready in a couple of years. And because Brady Quinn sucks.
    Quinn was still the 2nd QB taken, there just wasnt any team in need of a QB. But I agree Person should of been top 5 and the staffs do like Tjack

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Published July 25, 2007 11:51 pm

[size=13pt]Vikings notebook: Tackles ready to compete[/size]

By Chad Courrier
    The Free Press

Off the field, Ryan Cook and Marcus Johnson are friends, but during practices, the Vikings right tackles compete hard, knowing only one of them will be the starter when the season opens Sept. 9.......

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast