Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 104
  1. #51
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,053
    [QUOTE=Purple Floyd;1138444]
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    I agree with a lot of this, but the NFL is a passing league now. These days even a very good defense is not likely to stop a high powered offense for 4 quarters. If GB had a shutdown type defense, they would win the f'n SB 4 out of 5 years just because they have a offense that can put up 30+ points on a weekly basis./QUOTE]

    Well, part of the deal with getting that offense is that you end up sacrificing the defense and while they did certainly win a SB recently, their defense was top rated that year and as soon as they lost some talent and the defense dropped in the rankings they have started to slip.

    I will wager that now that they are going to pay Rodgers 25 Million plus a year that the defense takes a big hit and once Fabio Jr gets his new contract that they win no more SB's. The same thing happened t the Patriots. While Brady is the best QB in history IMHO it was the defense they had that got them the SB's. Since the core of that defense depleted and was replaced with nobodies the team has not been able to win another SB. The Saints won a SB with a great offesne but they also had a great defense that year. Since then they maintained the offense but let the defense slip and so has their success. Same with the Steelers, the Giants and the Ravens.






    Yep, he has done well. BUT. he just put the Packers in a tough spot with his contract extension. Paying him that type of money is going to mean they need to cut back on a few other positions and that will hurt their depth. That will leave things for teams to exploit and it is going to hurt them,not help them.

    I truly believe that the dollars the elite QB's are commanding is going to cause a shift in the dynamic of the league and the next trend is going to be for teams to put together a more balanced roster that has more consistent talent that can exploit the hols in the rosters of teams with mega contract QB's and maybe we can be the team that starts that trend.

    I hear ya man, you can look at it several different ways. Let's hope that by GB giving out huge money to both Rodgers and Matthews, that it hampers them a bit in the coming years so they can't sign any big time players. The only problem there is that their team is so damn good at drafting guys.

  2. #52
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,774
    I the first pick we make is likely to be a CB...we just gotta hope one of the good ones drops to us!

    This kid reminds me of Winfield and has NFL bloodlines. I think we might be stoked to find him at 23.

    Ultimate Desmond Trufant Highlights - YouTube
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  3. #53
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,053
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I the first pick we make is likely to be a CB...we just gotta hope one of the good ones drops to us!

    This kid reminds me of Winfield and has NFL bloodlines. I think we might be stoked to find him at 23.

    Ultimate Desmond Trufant Highlights - YouTube

    It will be interesting to see what they do in the draft. Viking Update has a story out that says its possible that the Vikings will trade the 25th pick and move back to get more picks. I have a bad feeling on that one because this teams needs so much to begin with, and they could be cutting their own throats if they make a trade there.

    The only way I can see them doing it is if they move back only a few spots at most. However with the guys that will be available at that stage of the draft, they need to get good players instead of "praying" that they will still be available and lose out altogether just to acquire a 4th or 5th rd pick.

  4. #54
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,774
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    It will be interesting to see what they do in the draft. Viking Update has a story out that says its possible that the Vikings will trade the 25th pick and move back to get more picks. I have a bad feeling on that one because this teams needs so much to begin with, and they could be cutting their own throats if they make a trade there.

    The only way I can see them doing it is if they move back only a few spots at most. However with the guys that will be available at that stage of the draft, they need to get good players instead of "praying" that they will still be available and lose out altogether just to acquire a 4th or 5th rd pick.
    IDK...I kinda love the idea of having a pick in the top ten of the 2nd...Robert Woods? Manti Te'o? Kawaan Short? One of the 2nd tier CBs: Jamar Taylor, Johnthan Banks? Plenty of value to be had there, and could also have an early 3rd to go with it instead of one of our firsts...

    Instead of say, Keenan Allen at 25 (who maybe falling further due to lingering injury issues) we could potentially land Woods and Swope...basically twice the production, and double downing on our chances that one works out, or taking our biggest weakness all the way to a strength if they both do!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  5. #55
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,053
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    IDK...I kinda love the idea of having a pick in the top ten of the 2nd...Robert Woods? Manti Te'o? Kawaan Short? One of the 2nd tier CBs: Jamar Taylor, Johnthan Banks? Plenty of value to be had there, and could also have an early 3rd to go with it instead of one of our firsts...

    Instead of say, Keenan Allen at 25 (who maybe falling further due to lingering injury issues) we could potentially land Woods and Swope...basically twice the production, and double downing on our chances that one works out, or taking our biggest weakness all the way to a strength if they both do!!

    I guess it all depends on what other teams are looking at as well. I would hate for this team to lose out on something special just in acquire a couple more later picks. I know that most players are a crap shoot to begin with, and only a certain few are actually a lock to have a successful career, and how 1st rd picks can be huge busts, and that 6th and 7th rd picks as well as undrafted players can be gold. I just want this team to get great players so we can move forward and hopefully someday soon call the Vikings world champions.

  6. #56
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,851
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    +1 So True.

    And some of you are missing the point and leaping to extremes...nobody is saying we need to alter our identity and become a chuck it deep early and often offense, just that we need some passing game in a league where all the rules favor passing in order to have any true chance at winning a championship. (RBs can't lower their heads!?!? Are you kidding me!?)

    Look at the Ravens and 49ers, both are old school, run time off the clock and play defense like us, but both also have young, up and coming QBs, and multiple, early draft picks and FA signings at WR and TE. The Ravens signed Boldin and Jones and drafted Smith, Pitta and Dickson in the first 2 or 3 rounds. The 49ers have 3 first round weapons in Crabtree, Vernon Davis and AJ Jenkins, and have traded for Boldin and signed Manningham.

    Yes, we also need defense. At the moment, starters are missing at CB, MLB, and kinda DT...but for the love of god, we can't go through another year with only one outside threat who is worth a spit! Its no good for the QB's confidence and its not helping us judge him correctly either.

    That said, I also don't want us to reach for 1 need when a good fit is sitting there at another either. If WRs go early and defense falls to us instead, fine, but the longer we wait to select a WR, the more picks I'll want to spend there, to backup our chances and make sure we find some difference maker somewhere.
    +1000
    There is a middle ground here. I am not asking for a pass only offense. I am simply saying that a balance offense is the way to go. You can't simply lower your head on 2nd and 15 and hope to pick up 15 yards. Sometimes having an offense that can complete two 8 yard patterns is enough. I don't need a high passing offense. I am simply saying its silly for us to not have ANY passing attack because we found such a great rushing attack. Why not match the too evenly? It is not exclusive to have a great rushing and passing attack. The Falcons appear to have one. The true dynasties all had one. We have possible the best back to ever play the game. All he needs is a decent passing attack. I am not asking for a historic passing attack (i.e. 98) but one that is in the top 10 in the league.

  7. #57
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,851
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I the first pick we make is likely to be a CB...we just gotta hope one of the good ones drops to us!

    This kid reminds me of Winfield and has NFL bloodlines. I think we might be stoked to find him at 23.

    Ultimate Desmond Trufant Highlights - YouTube
    I would cry if we draft another CB that high. No need...the FA is littered with them and they are taking next to nothign deals. Mean while...there is nothing available at WR and we still need about 2 more.

  8. #58
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,207
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    +1000
    You can't simply lower your head on 2nd and 15 and hope to pick up 15 yards.
    Trying that may get you negative 15 yards this year.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #59
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    +1 So True.

    And some of you are missing the point and leaping to extremes...nobody is saying we need to alter our identity and become a chuck it deep early and often offense, just that we need some passing game in a league where all the rules favor passing in order to have any true chance at winning a championship. (RBs can't lower their heads!?!? Are you kidding me!?)

    Look at the Ravens and 49ers, both are old school, run time off the clock and play defense like us, but both also have young, up and coming QBs, and multiple, early draft picks and FA signings at WR and TE. The Ravens signed Boldin and Jones and drafted Smith, Pitta and Dickson in the first 2 or 3 rounds. The 49ers have 3 first round weapons in Crabtree, Vernon Davis and AJ Jenkins, and have traded for Boldin and signed Manningham.

    Yes, we also need defense. At the moment, starters are missing at CB, MLB, and kinda DT...but for the love of god, we can't go through another year with only one outside threat who is worth a spit! Its no good for the QB's confidence and its not helping us judge him correctly either.

    That said, I also don't want us to reach for 1 need when a good fit is sitting there at another either. If WRs go early and defense falls to us instead, fine, but the longer we wait to select a WR, the more picks I'll want to spend there, to backup our chances and make sure we find some difference maker somewhere.
    +1000
    There is a middle ground here. I am not asking for a pass only offense. I am simply saying that a balance offense is the way to go. You can't simply lower your head on 2nd and 15 and hope to pick up 15 yards. Sometimes having an offense that can complete two 8 yard patterns is enough. I don't need a high passing offense. I am simply saying its silly for us to not have ANY passing attack because we found such a great rushing attack. Why not match the too evenly? It is not exclusive to have a great rushing and passing attack. The Falcons appear to have one. The true dynasties all had one. We have possible the best back to ever play the game. All he needs is a decent passing attack. I am not asking for a historic passing attack (i.e. 98) but one that is in the top 10 in the league.
    That is all anyone is looking for. You might have stated that more clearly if you had not specifically pointed out the top 3-4 QBs of the league as your expectation for the passing game. There is not too much chance of matching them with any WR's. I would say our goal would be to be in the top dozen in passing and there is no reason we can't do that with Jennings(from what the fans were saying about him before the signing), Rudolph, Wright,Simpson if he gets his crap together and one more draft pick at WR.

    Lots of first and second round talent on our offense right now. Maybe even top 10 in the league in number of first and second round talent we drafted on offense with Ponder, Kalil, Peterson, Loadholt, Rudolph etc. they just need to put it together. The development of Ponder is going to be the limiting factor and not the talent at WR. If he takes the next step and becomes the QB we need then we will be fine and can hit the top 10 range. If he doesn't then it really becomes more critical to fix that than to have more WRs. IMHO

  10. #60
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    That is all anyone is looking for. You might have stated that more clearly if you had not specifically pointed out the top 3-4 QBs of the league as your expectation for the passing game. There is not too much chance of matching them with any WR's. I would say our goal would be to be in the top dozen in passing and there is no reason we can't do that with Jennings(from what the fans were saying about him before the signing), Rudolph, Wright,Simpson if he gets his crap together and one more draft pick at WR.

    Lots of first and second round talent on our offense right now. Maybe even top 10 in the league in number of first and second round talent we drafted on offense with Ponder, Kalil, Peterson, Loadholt, Rudolph etc. they just need to put it together. The development of Ponder is going to be the limiting factor and not the talent at WR. If he takes the next step and becomes the QB we need then we will be fine and can hit the top 10 range. If he doesn't then it really becomes more critical to fix that than to have more WRs. IMHO
    I don't think so. I think Simpson is a better WR than we saw last season but not that much better. I think Wright has some talent but his upside is limited and will not be a consistent force for us. We need 1 more WR and a project (one with talent that slips). I would then be happy at that point, that is until we fix the QB position.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •