Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Manti Te'o is one of the most overrated college players in recent memory, which means the Vikes will probably draft him.

He's a two-down LB at best. Hope Spielman isn't that dumb....
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    I've got a new answer for this thread: ALL OF THE ABOVE!!

So what I'm thinking, is there's a good chance we're sitting there at 23 thinking, there are 3 guys here we are very happy with, do we take 2 of the 3 here and now, or move one of our picks back a bit with somebody who's got a itchy trigger finger that wants to jump up for a QB?

And, we do have multiple first & second round needs, missing starters at basically 4 positions: CB, MLB, WR & DT, and/or maybe OG. ARI or BUF's 2nd and 3rd add up to right around our picks in the first, so we move back for a top ten pick in the 2nd and 3rd...AND, then, we add the early 4th we have from DET to the early 3rd we just snagged and move back into the late end of the 2nd, around HOU's no.57 overall. That would be one badass, first round guy, I'm thinking best CB available since the other positions are deeper. Then 3 picks in the 2nd, and 4 by no.57 could fill all 4 of those major needs with guys we're happy to have starting as rookies, and still have our 3,4,5,6 and 3 7ths to go!!!!

We could realisticly land a lineup like:
    23 or 25. Our pick of the litter at MLB...maybe Ogletree is gone, but easily land Minter, Brown or Te'o here.
    38 or 41. Next best CB, Jamar Tayler or Johnthan Banks? Or swap the first 2 picks and go for better CB potential since those MLBs seem similar anyway.
    52. best DT left? Kawaan Short?
    57. best WR left? DeAndre Hopkins? Terrance Williams?

Based on current NFL Mock Draft 2013 Picks 33-48
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    We should draft Tyrann Mathieu in the 2nd round... if he's still there. The sky is the limit with this kid and there wouldn't be much risk if we drafted him in the 2nd round.

Dare I say, we NEED Tyrann Mathieu.

I'm fine with his pot usage. I'd be a hypocrite if I wasn't.
    Last edited by C Mac D; 03-28-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    We should draft Tyrann Mathieu in the 2nd round... if he's still there. The sky is the limit with this kid and there wouldn't be much risk if we drafted him in the 2nd round.

Dare I say, we NEED Tyrann Mathieu.

I'm fine with his pot usage. I'd be a hypocrite if I wasn't.
    hmmmm.....you may want to rethink your point. Personally, I'm not comforted with your endorsement of being "fine." #1, kid made more mistakes than pot usage. #2, I get the talent quotient, and, I get the youth mistakes point...there is an art to picking the right person at the right time.

You may very well be right, perhaps my favorite college football player, the Honey Badger, has grown up... "NEED" no...our Vikings do NOT NEED the Honey Badger...rather, he NEEDS a home, a Team where he can continue to WAKE THE FUCK UP to life.

This is the NFL...high stakes poker, high stakes money, and, no graduation (or, 3 yr "captive" athlete). College football, sorry folks, particularly the SEC, yes, you heard it, offer scholarships to athletically gifted kids...more so than the other Conferences. My favorite college football player, Tyrann Mathieu, is a great example...a deserved athlete, a great story, a kid who succeeded against all odds. The fact that he was suspended, made good, performed great, then kicked out of the program, was so disappointing to me on many levels.

C mac...I hear ya, but "NEED" doesn't work for me.

MaxVike

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    I still want a stud WR in the 1st because you can never have to many weapons on offense, especially when you have a "franchise" QB that has been mediocre at best since he came into the league.

Then you have to go BPA MLB, or CB with the other 1st rd pick.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I am going to say it's time to go defense in the first. We have spent 1st round picks on offense for a few years now and even with a stud WR we won't have the offensive firepower to outshoot the premier offenses in the league. Period. We do have a power, grind it our, ball control offense that hopefully can move the chains and eat up the clock, keeping the opposing offense off the field. We need to couple that with a stronger defense that can shut down those offenses, get us turnovers, and give us the field position we need because even with Moss and Megatron we don't have the trigger man to take us 90 yards down the field on a regular basis.

Defense, ball control, creating turnovers, not making mistakes. Like it or not this is the blueprint for the team the Vikings are building. They are not trying nor are they going to have a high flying, strike from anywhere offense. That is why they have Peterson, Rudolph, a pro bowl FB and a highly drafted LT.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    McShay has us taking Bjoern Werner at 23. Pretty crazy slip, eh? I kind of love it. And it kind of makes perfect sense? Last time we picked at 22 (23 this time), Percy Harvin and Michael Oher both slipped to us. Neither one of them was expected to be there. We are going to be in perfect slip range for guys.
    Last edited by MulletMullitia; 03-28-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Besides WR.... What do you want in the first two rounds.

Borg Warner? I know they made transmissions but wasn't aware they played football.

I believe the Packers got Rodgers at about the 22 mark so maybe our franchise QB is sitting there.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I am going to say it's time to go defense in the first. We have spent 1st round picks on offense for a few years now and even with a stud WR we won't have the offensive firepower to outshoot the premier offenses in the league. Period. We do have a power, grind it our, ball control offense that hopefully can move the chains and eat up the clock, keeping the opposing offense off the field. We need to couple that with a stronger defense that can shut down those offenses, get us turnovers, and give us the field position we need because even with Moss and Megatron we don't have the trigger man to take us 90 yards down the field on a regular basis.

Defense, ball control, creating turnovers, not making mistakes. Like it or not this is the blueprint for the team the Vikings are building. They are not trying nor are they going to have a high flying, strike from anywhere offense. That is why they have Peterson, Rudolph, a pro bowl FB and a highly drafted LT.
    Welcome to the year 2013. where 6 Qbs threw for more than 4500 yards. You advice to build an elite defense goes against the transition the game has made. There are no elite defenses anymore.It's a fact that people have to ccome to terms with. You can have good defenses and ever great defenses but the day of the 2000 Ravens is over.

Think about what you are asking. It's illogical to say, our offense will never be a great offense so we should just continue to build deffense. How do you think those great offenses became great? They were built. There is a misnomer that Vikings like to use in "ground and pound offense" When you are putrid on offense, your only hopes is to runt he ball and hope to keep it close. It's not a style of offense but more of a desperation move born out of nessascity. Yes we have AP and yes he is a work horse back capable of making 3 men miss and carrying 5 men into the endzone while the last 3 arm tackle him. However, think for a minute how much explosive he could be if he never had to see those fronts. The last time we had a capable WR, TE and a decent number 2, Peterson rushed for 18 TD while the offense was 2nd in scoring.

I compare football to chess and boxing. Turtling in chess will simply get your pieces picked off 1 by 1 and in boxing a completely defensive fight rarely wins fights. In both activities, a balance of defense and offense is imperative. Additional, the ability to adjust to what you are given is the key to victory. If you build an offense based only on your ability to run, when you face a dominant run defense, you will have a very difficult time winning. We also draft Khalil last year, magically our oline went from problem to strenght. Everyone give Felton the credit but our Oline was damn good last year considering they faced tons of run blitzs.
    When you are bad at something you dont stick your head into the sand and pretend it isn't a problem. Our passing game being 31st is a HUGE problem. It is killing some of the great plays our defense is making and holding us back from being a great team.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post

I agree with a lot of this, but the NFL is a passing league now. These days even a very good defense is not likely to stop a high powered offense for 4 quarters. If GB had a shutdown type defense, they would win the f'n SB 4 out of 5 years just because they have a offense that can put up 30+ points on a weekly basis.

It absolutely f'n pains me to say that Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL. As much as I can't stand that team, or the players, you have to give Rodgers his respect, he is one hell of a QB. Of course we need to add to our defense just so opposing teams won't score against us in 3 plays or less on a consistent basis, but we also need a offense that can go toe to toe with other teams and hope that our defense can make a couple more plays than the opposing defense. Doesn't really matter what kind of defense you have if your offense is putting up low numbers week in and week out.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast