Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    So if the Vikings draft Teo, you don't think he could start from day one ?
    I don't watch college ball, so I'm the wrong one to be asking that of. From what I've heard here, he isn't that good which is why I previously asked if he wasn't that good, why was he one of the top players considered for the Heisman?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Wait, what?

Either I don't understand what you are saying here (which is possible, because it is early), or you don't...

I said nothing about not resigning players who we draft... What I said was that there are very few proven players in FA who are worth the money they are asking. This is true of every year, because a player is normally only released for one of two reasons: 1) They did not live up to expectation (i.e. not proven), or 2) they are asking for more money than the team can afford or is willing to spend. That means that the majority of the players who hit FA are either not proven, or are looking for more money than their original team was willing to spend.

FA moves can be as risky, if not riskier, than many draft moves. Mostly because a draft mistake is often much less costly than a FA mistake.

I do agree with you though - FA is the best way to fill an immediate need. And we do have some immediate needs still, specifically at MLB and CB. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in some veteran talent into those positions as a stop-gap, but I feel that the long term solution for both of those solutions is in the draft. If we don't bring in any veterans, I think we have enough supporting players to allow a rookie to start in those spots.
    I know what you are saying, but with that said, the very few proven players in FA who are worth the money they are asking, would apply not only to the FA's out there from other teams, but to any of our own players who are hitting FA as well. Wouldn't you agree?

Therefore, building solely thru the draft, while a great idea, doesn't always work. I'm not saying you do or don't believe it, I was just adding my opinion based on your statement.

What are you building for if you can't keep that good or great player on your team once he's about to or has hit FA? Depending on at which point that player became a starter on your team, you may have only gotten 1 or 2 years good to great years out of him before you find yourself probably replacing him once again via the draft.

A FA on the other hand, while more expensive, should be giving you immediate production. A team needs to sign FA's to remain competitive in almost every case to replace players they lost.

The rare exceptions that are out there usually have someone on their depth chart good enough who can come in and fill the void. Those teams are constantly replenishing their depth and adding a starter here and there.

For a team like us & our not so great draft history, we tend to be fighting to just plug the holes we have due to FA losses & players we've cut that we don't seem to get ahead of the game.
    Last edited by singersp; 03-27-2013 at 06:07 AM.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    there is still a month until the draft, so guessing who we should take is still not a certainty.

we don't have as many needs as we did last few rebuilding years, but we have some glaring ones that seem will be filled via the draft. having no true mlb of note.. id say this is top dog, wr we have needs, but some of which was taken with FA. DT finding the right one is the key, learn from and develop with Kw to eventually repelace him. CB unless we get winney back.. i'm sure this will be a top 3 pic. if we get him back. maybe in the later rounds we find a gem or 2.

with this in mind,

1 mlb/wr one of the 2 will have a solid choice. there's a lot of OL and DL that will be taken before us, and with some platue talent still on the board. bpa for these 2 positions, with mlb priority.

2. mlb/wr/dt/cb either or of the first pic, though i'd put wr priority over all others. unless some bizzare trades or draft day gods smiling on us and one of the elite dt's or cb's lands here? i might be inclined to take him over a WR. but we neeeeed WR's

3. wr/dt/cb same priority as before, would take BPA of any 3 position still giving weight to wr if value is there.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    BPA at MLB, WR, CB in that order.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

smegmavike is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I don't watch college ball, so I'm the wrong one to be asking that of. From what I've heard here, he isn't that good which is why I previously asked if he wasn't that good, why was he one of the top players considered for the Heisman?
    There are a number of players who look great at the college level but don't do well in the NFL.
    I see Teo as one of these players. Teo improved his performance some at his pro day workout but looked juiced up to me.
    There are red flags with guy and I hope the Vikings don't take him.
    I do think they will take a MLB in the first round who will be a starter and play well, as long as they pass on Teo.
    If Spielman bundles picks to move up, then takes Teo, it would be the boneheaded move of the year.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    There are a number of players who look great at the college level but don't do well in the NFL.
    I see Teo as one of these players. Teo improved his performance some at his pro day workout but looked juiced up to me.
    I do think they will take a MLB in the first round who will be a starter and play well, as long as they pass on Teo.
    If Spielman bundles picks to move up, then takes Teo, it would be the boneheaded move of the year.
    I agree with you on Teo ( and that is what worries me that he is a lock for us to take). He sounded good at first but as I watched him during the combine and the stuff I saw from the pro day have done nothing but make me want him less. I really don't even see first round talent not even considering the mental red flags.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNed View Post
    BPA at MLB, WR, CB in that order.
    If marrdro was still around, he would be hurt by that, Ned. Where's the big DT?
    Last edited by marshallvike; 03-27-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

I'm well aware there are a number of players who look great at the college level but don't do well in the NFL. We usually draft them.

I was referring to his college play. There were people here claiming he wasn't that good. If that's the case, why would he even be in the running for the Heisman in the first place?

Are people just calling him bad because he had that bad Bowl game & was gullible enough to be duped by a dating service, but the rest of his season he shinned or was he considered for the Heisman because of a few good games even though the rest of his season wasn't?

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'm well aware there are a number of players who look great at the college level but don't do well in the NFL. We usually draft them.

I was referring to his college play. There were people here claiming he wasn't that good. If that's the case, why would he even be in the running for the Heisman in the first place?

Are people just calling him bad because he had that bad Bowl game & was gullible enough to be duped by a dating service, but the rest of his season he shinned or was he considered for the Heisman because of a few good games even though the rest of his season wasn't?
    He had a great season. Notre Dame went undefeated and went to a national championship game. Te'o had 7 interceptions. The defense allowed only 10pts a game.
    He and his team struggled against Alabama, but so did everybody else, they were a great team.

I seriously think we should ban the 40 at the combine, never been a more over rated drill.
    I would be very pleased to get Te'o at #23, he's a top 10 talent, IMHO.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    He had a great season. Notre Dame went undefeated and went to a national championship game. Te'o had 7 interceptions. The defense allowed only 10pts a game.
    He and his team struggled against Alabama, but so did everybody else, they were a great team.

I seriously think we should ban the 40 at the combine, never been a more over rated drill.
    I would be very pleased to get Te'o at #23, he's a top 10 talent, IMHO.
    Arthur Brown out of Kansas State is another guy that could work well. He's a little bit undersized, but he's a tackling machine and is good in coverage. Don't know how far he will drop, 2nd round most probable?

Ogletree, Minter and Te'o will most likely be the first 3 ILB's to go. And very possibly all in the 1st round. There are a number of teams picking ahead of us in need of an ILB.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast