Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Yet some of those same fans would rather not have us pay money for a proven WR available in FA, but rather get our WR's in the draft.
    Just like you can't get every player through the draft, you also can't get every player through FA. How has that worked out for Washington? There are very few "proven" players in FA who will definitely be worth the money they cost.

I like the strategy of building primarily through the draft while supplementing via FA.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Just like you can't get every player through the draft, you also can't get every player through FA. How has that worked out for Washington? There are very few "proven" players in FA who will definitely be worth the money they cost.

I like the strategy of building primarily through the draft while supplementing via FA.
    I don't think anyone here is suggesting we sign a shitload of FA or build thru FA, but the best way to fill a hole where there is an immediate need for a proven player is via FA. You don't know what you're getting in the draft.

If you feel there are very few "proven" players in FA who will definitely be worth the money they cost, then you're telling me that every great player we draft, who is hitting FA & wanting to get paid, isn't likely to be re-signed.

So the idea of building thru the draft goes out the window & what you end up having is a team that is a revolving door between the draft & FA.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Almost everyone wants a WR in the first 2 rounds, however, I have my eye on a real gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljabRfKOFrI
    DJ Flucker #76 RIght tackle.

Monster of a man. I would love to move him inside, where he has played in college and either put him on the left side to help Khalil or put him at RG and move Fusco to left to battle Johnson for a starting spot. Some of these driving blocks makes me envision him creating holes for AD. Lets not forget he is doing this vs some of the best talent in the NCAA. In the run game he is flat out dominant and while he is good in pass blocking being inside will hide some of his flaws (still grades better than Load) This guy is in credible and I have wanted him since last season.
    Ahhh, kevon, you are singing my song. Every year leading up to the draft I am clamoring for linemen. IMO that is the way to build a team. I would not mind seeing us take Fluker in the first but This year, because we have what seem to be desperate needs in a number of positions, I could see us going many different ways. If our people evaluate the incoming talent well, I will not be upset with Rick taking the best player available at our spots on draft day. I would prefer a big NT in the first and also a MLB, or even a WR or CB. And you can never have too many solid OLinemen. What I do not want to see, is us reaching for any position because of the need.
    There is talk of Dallas and even Chicago taking Fluker. I really can't see the Bears taking anything other than a MLB as they let both Urlacher and Roach go. They have nothing left there.

scratch that. Bears just signed their second linebacker in a couple of days
    Last edited by marshallvike; 03-25-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Completelty agree. I'm not sure a team that picks a WR at 25 overall gains much over the guy picking one at the top of the 3rd. I say that because no one knows for sure where Hunter is as far as WR pecking order. Same for Woods, Allen etc. The 3rd best WR is likely to be the 8th best for someone else.
    And, I'm starting to see the top WRs move up the mocks too...walterfootball currently has Tavon Austin going right after Cordarelle Patterson at nos. 8 & 9, as in 2 in the top ten! Then, you still have Dolphins, Panthers, Steelers, Bengals, and STL (twice!) needing WR and picking between there and us...as in, there's a chance Allen and Hunter could also be off the board by our first pick.

Which, pretty much gets us to 2nd tier where Hopkins, Woods, and Williams all have similar grades, sizes, and production. Some would put Quinton Patton and maybe even Markus Wheaton there too, and then the 3rd tier doesn't drop all that far off either, with Bailey, Swope, Stills, Rogers, etc also putting up some pretty impressive numbers.

But other talent would be dropping, possibly setting us up to get a real deal difference maker at CB, DT, or MLB with one first, move back, and still get some serious WR potential somewhere in the 2nd round's top ten (or a value DT?), while still having our later 2nd, backed up by 2 thirds and 2 fourths!! Ie. Plenty of early picks to fill multiple holes and perhaps even move around and/or stockpile some more picks for next year...just in case we need to move up to get a QB

Oh, and hey, check this silly shit out! Geno Smith and Manti Te'o to the Vikings!!?!? Or perhaps, a trade!?

2013 PFT mock draft, Version 1 | ProFootballTalk
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    And, I'm starting to see the top WRs move up the mocks too...walterfootball currently has Tavon Austin going right after Cordarelle Patterson at nos. 8 & 9, as in 2 in the top ten! Then, you still have Dolphins, Panthers, Steelers, Bengals, and STL (twice!) needing WR and picking between there and us...as in, there's a chance Allen and Hunter could also be off the board by our first pick.

Which, pretty much gets us to 2nd tier where Hopkins, Woods, and Williams all have similar grades, sizes, and production. Some would put Quinton Patton and maybe even Markus Wheaton there too, and then the 3rd tier doesn't drop all that far off either, with Bailey, Swope, Stills, Rogers, etc also putting up some pretty impressive numbers.

But other talent would be dropping, possibly setting us up to get a real deal difference maker at CB, DT, or MLB with one first, move back, and still get some serious WR potential somewhere in the 2nd round's top ten (or a value DT?), while still having our later 2nd, backed up by 2 thirds and 2 fourths!! Ie. Plenty of early picks to fill multiple holes and perhaps even move around and/or stockpile some more picks for next year...just in case we need to move up to get a QB

Oh, and hey, check this silly shit out! Geno Smith and Manti Te'o to the Vikings!!?!? Or perhaps, a trade!?

2013 PFT mock draft, Version 1 | ProFootballTalk
    Those picks for us are funny.
    I would not be surprised by a trade though. Spielman showed last year he is not averse to trading on draft day. I do not want to see us trade out of the first rd though. And I think he would have to do better than the trade value chart to drop back. Hopefully, he works some magic again
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Dibbzz is offline Starter
    Linebacker, Defensive Tackle, Safety, Cornerback. I'm pretty confident all of these needs will be addressed in the draft. After that just take BPA.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It worked out well when we drafted Ryan Cook and moved him from C to RT.What makes you think lightning couldn't strike twice?
    Such a silly comment for so many reasons.
    1. Centers have a unique skill set.
    2. We moved Cook from being covered up (i.e helped on both sides by blockers) to being uncovered (i.e. playing RT with only help inside). We are moving a good RT to inside where he will have help if needed. Trust me he won't. That's like saying the Fins were silly for drafting Pouncey because he graded out as both the best center and guard.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I don't think anyone here is suggesting we sign a shitload of FA or build thru FA, but the best way to fill a hole where there is an immediate need for a proven player is via FA. You don't know what you're getting in the draft.

If you feel there are very few "proven" players in FA who will definitely be worth the money they cost, then you're telling me that every great player we draft, who is hitting FA & wanting to get paid, isn't likely to be re-signed.

So the idea of building thru the draft goes out the window & what you end up having is a team that is a revolving door between the draft & FA.
    Wait, what?

Either I don't understand what you are saying here (which is possible, because it is early), or you don't...

I said nothing about not resigning players who we draft... What I said was that there are very few proven players in FA who are worth the money they are asking. This is true of every year, because a player is normally only released for one of two reasons: 1) They did not live up to expectation (i.e. not proven), or 2) they are asking for more money than the team can afford or is willing to spend. That means that the majority of the players who hit FA are either not proven, or are looking for more money than their original team was willing to spend.

FA moves can be as risky, if not riskier, than many draft moves. Mostly because a draft mistake is often much less costly than a FA mistake.

I do agree with you though - FA is the best way to fill an immediate need. And we do have some immediate needs still, specifically at MLB and CB. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in some veteran talent into those positions as a stop-gap, but I feel that the long term solution for both of those solutions is in the draft. If we don't bring in any veterans, I think we have enough supporting players to allow a rookie to start in those spots.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

smegmavike is offline Coordinator

So if the Vikings draft Teo, you don't think he could start from day one ?

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    First and second round?

BPA, BPA, with some bias toward future needs.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast