Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: BESIDES TJACK! What is our biggest weakness?

For those of you who feel losing FB Tony Richardson is a disaster waiting to happen do more research on Thomas Topeh. IMO we could have easily had Richardson signed back *IF* we wanted him but instead we opted to go after a younger version of Tony. Topeh is very sound blocker, a very unselfish player who has blocked and succeeded for many good RB's. In college he blocked for Laurance Maroney and Marion Barber, in the pros he blocked for Westbrook. He brings more explosiveness in his abitly to catch the football and do something afterward. I like the pickup and the thought of the future by our orginization. Tony was very solid but aging where as Topeh is 27 and proven.

On the subject of our weakness's I would consider the LT situation somewhat of issue considering Artis Hicks is the replacement. Personally I would like to see him and Marcus Johnson both cut from the squad but in order for that to happen we would have to see guys like Brian Daniels, Dan Mozes, Drew Rodovich, and Chase Johnson show there worth in Mini Camp. I'm really hoping Chase shows the ability to be solid, he's got very good size and was a great pass blocker in college. I think the main reason for concern along the offensive line would have to do with the inexperience.

WR's, especailly the starting two must stay healthy, after Berrian and Rice there really is nobody but maybe Allison to step into a starting role on the outside. Furgeson is a great 3 or 4 but lacks explosiveness to play outside IMO, same goes for Wade. Jaymar Johnson is a very fast WR with great elusiveness, body control and ball skills but he is young and small. Given enough time and some more weight he could see action on the outside. For this season we need the top two to stay healthy for us.

The playcalling can be somewhat of a concern but I believe it will be better this year, Tarvaris is a year better and we have solid targets at WR. Much of the playcalling issues last year are directly related to a young QB who we didn't want to ask to much of especailly given the weapons around him. I actually look for this area to improve and not be a major concern. Given more of a down field threat we should see alot more of AP catching screens and underneath passes causing the defense all kinds of trouble.

As far as specail teams is concerned I'm not concerned. With additions of Erin Henderson, Tyrell Johnson, Michael Boulware, Marice Hicks, and Jaymar Johnson we should be much improved with what we already have. Hopefully we have did enough to get guys like Winfield permanently OFF of specail teams, fresh for there primary jobs.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Check out this short video of the fatal last offensive Vikings play of 2007...

Warning!!
    Leave the sound down or hear Broncos fan screaming!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W8d7yr1xCcM

Its what some of us have talked about, a spread out offense with 4 WRs.
    The Broncos are in total prevent, everybody is back, our OL + RB puts us at 6 blockers to 3 defensive rushers!
    TJack gets no time, hit in the back as he looks downfield, cuz Cook got beat and nobody helped him.
    Birk and Herrera both kind of seem to just stand there, waiting to see if a LB is coming?
    Herrera gets a DT, McKinnie and AP get the RE...seems somebody should have helped Cook.
    All and all, rather sad...and case in point for why we keep a TE or FB in to block on most downs, and why our Great Running game OL isn't quite up to par in the passing game.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"mountainviking" wrote:

Warning!!

The Broncos are in total prevent, everybody is back, our OL + RB puts us at 6 blockers to 3 defensive rushers!
    TJack gets no time, hit in the back as he looks downfield, cuz Cook got beat and nobody helped him.
    Birk and Herrera both kind of seem to just stand there, waiting to see if a LB is coming?
    Herrera gets a DT, McKinnie and AP get the RE...seems somebody should have helped Cook.
    All and all, rather sad...and case in point for why we keep a TE or FB in to block on most downs, and why our Great Running game OL isn't quite up to par in the passing game.
    That is a classic example of why no QB we have put under center in the last 2 years has had
    any success passing the ball. That is also the reason why, in spite of all of the additional talent we have brought in, that I am still nervous about the season offensively. Hopefully it all comes together.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:

Warning!!

That is a classic example of why no QB we have put under center in the last 2 years has had
    any success passing the ball. That is also the reason why, in spite of all of the additional talent we have brought in, that I am still nervous about the season offensively. Hopefully it all comes together.

No doubt...if we can not block Devers DL(and only 3 at that), we definately have some problems.

I don't care how good they can run block, if they can't protect the QB...we could be in for a long year.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I selected our O-line, simply because of our lack of proven depth. We have some young guys learng the system, but they are painfully short on experience. Hicks will probably start for Bryant if/when he gets his suspension, but if we sustain injuries to more than one starter on the o-line, we could be in trouble.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    OL. No question.

That being said, the team has the time to still add depth there before the season and they have addressed all of the other problems so far so I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt that if talent becomes available, they will go after them.
    Totally could happen.
    But whats the chances that guy can come in and pick up our "complicated zone hybrid system" in time to contribute this year?

I'm voting OL too.
    Better pass blocking would help whoever is QB...and I'd really like to see the presnap penalties eliminated.
    I'm stoked with the defense in general, and like what Frazier was doing last year, so no worries there!
    I was a bit concerned about Tapeh taking over for Tony, but they signed him long term, so they must like him, and we know Dugan can crack some skullz blocking if needed.
    I wonder if Shanahan's comment of taking 5 years to install the ZB scheme is all bunk.
    I see us struggling more with the man-to-man stuff more especially when it appears we audibled out of a run (ZB) play to a pass (Man to Man) play.

Think about it.
    Cook didn't do to bad at it last year and he was a Rookie that was a Center in College.
    Hutch seemed to grasp it pretty quickly as well.
    Herrera seemed to thrive in it once he was named starter.
    Mckinnie doesn't do to bad either when we are talking run blocking only.

Mckinnie (especially) and Cook had problems with the smaller/speedier DE's at times with Cook leveling off towards the end of the year.
    If we can just keep improving on stopping the rush from the ends plus a few gaffs by the center on delayed blitz's up the middle I think our OL could be awesome this year.

The reps they got together last year and some intense film study during the offseason and I think the OL coaches can fix most of that.

With that said, I am still voting OL but would like to vote "All of the Above".
    ;D

Excellent idea for a thread by the way.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"kevoncox" wrote:
    Offensive play calling. We must lean what 4 WR sets look like. We must learn what a screen looks like. Me must stop running up the gut when everyone and the watercooler is waiting for the handoff.
    Can i see an audible at the line please?

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVh0n03DnjQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]
    Funny, I saw lots of audibles last year.
    Most of the time from run to pass and in most of those cases the OL screwed the pooch with respect to pass protection.

Kindof hard to change the play calling if it can't be executed.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"gregair13" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    tapeh is clearly not as good or experienced as richardson.

thats what worries u the most goin into this season????
    We are a run first team right. It's diffcult when you lose an All pro...probowl...hall of fame FB.
    the most worried about? i am not sure about that, but i am for sure worried about it. look and TRs resume and who he has blocked for in his career. pretty much all pro bowlers. as kevon says, he is going to the HoF. How good was the chiefs running game last year? no where near as good as it was with TR. sure you can pull the injury arguement into it and the lesser overall team for the chiefs, but how much of that influence was from TR? if you rb isnt taking the first hit in the backfield, that means your fullback is doing your job. when the RB takes the first hit, the odds of getting hurt increase.
    T-rich wasn't the only reason KC couldn't run the ball.
    Take alook at the OL changes and injuries.
    I think that had more to do with it than just his departure.

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Good topic. I voted for "offensive play calling".

Here is my list of biggest weaknesses for us for 2008, outside of Tarvaris:

1. Offensive playcalling and inability to adjust to what the defense is giving us
    2. Inability to throw short passes and passes to running backs
    3. Lack of an effective underneath passing game (slants, 10- and 15-yard routes, etc.)
    4. Defensive short and middle range pass defense (inability to press receivers at the line)
    5. The entire special teams play
    6. Lack of a pass rush ! (ALLEN will end that !
    ;D)

We need to address these issues. The "conservative" (I am being diplomatic here) play calling on offense is a major issue. I don't think we need to go back to the Linehan days of our WR rolling out and throwing to another WR in their red zone, but one rush off tackle after another into a stacked box is no longer going to make it in the NFL.
    You don't think your first 3 are kindof tied to OL and QB play with respect to what the coaches could call?

Entire ST play?
    Not sure if I see that as such a big issue.
    Two pretty reliable legs in Kluwe and Longwell (Longwell could kick deeper kickoffs though).
    Coverages were alot better last year than the year before and we might have found a KR in AA and a PR in Hicks.
    Kindof scratching my bald head over that one my friend.
    :

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Offensive play calling. We must lean what 4 WR sets look like. We must learn what a screen looks like. Me must stop running up the gut when everyone and the watercooler is waiting for the handoff.
    Can i see an audible at the line please?

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVh0n03DnjQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]
    Funny, I saw lots of audibles last year.
    Most of the time from run to pass and in most of those cases the OL screwed the pooch with respect to pass protection.

Kindof hard to change the play calling if it can't be executed.
    :
    Glad to see you are coming around to what singer and myself have been saying for 2 years

Welcome to the club ;D

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast